Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / One Piece Shower Niches
rockies
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 20:07

I was watching a renovation show where a guy was demonstrating how to build in a niche in the shower to hold your shampoo bottle and soap. He built it out of individual pieces and then installed tiles one by one. It looked great but has the potential to let water into all those corners and through the grout lines.

So I found one piece shower niches. Some, like those made by Kerdi, are designed to work with their underlayment system and can be tiled over (the Kerdi system itself is waterproof).

Other types are one piece plastic. They install between your wall studs (interior walls only) and offer a great solution to getting your shower supplies off the tub deck.

Some options from Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Showers-Shower-Doors-Parts-Accessories-Shower-Niches /N-5yc1vZc8yn

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Dec 2018 20:38

Those are ok, but he old way is prob better...frame it in as usual and hot mop/jiffy seal the thing...gives you way more options for design, multiple layers, etc....

Princelake
# Posted: 11 Dec 2018 12:22

I tiled my shower around 8 years ago and I hate it. It gets dirty quickly with soap scum and looks awful especially with glass doors and squeegee the thing after every shower gets old fast. I'm ready to rip the thing out and put in just a 1pc or 3pc shower and call it a day.

rockies
# Posted: 11 Dec 2018 19:45

I've installed both 3 piece and one piece shower enclosures and disliked them both. The seams on the 3 piece took forever to glue together so the seam wouldn't separate and the one piece has those curves in the corners.

What I would like is a shower stall covered in Corian solid surfacing. It's waterproof and there are no grout lines at all.

Some info from a UK site, but there are US suppliers too.

http://www.corian.uk/-shower-wall-

Borrego
# Posted: 11 Dec 2018 20:19

You can also get 3 slabs of marble/granite cut for you at most slab yards....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.