Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Blockboard
rockies
# Posted: 22 Feb 2019 20:38

When building shelves, table tops or solid interior doors a lot of people go to plywood, particle board or mdf. There's another type of board called "blockboard" which is made from strips of wood (or blocks) sandwiched between finish layers of wood, or "skins".

This type of board is much stronger, stiffer, doesn't bend or warp as much and yet is lighter than plywood.

https://gharpedia.com/plywood-vs-blockboard/

ICC
# Posted: 22 Feb 2019 21:39 - Edited by: ICC

It is not as great as you make it seem to be by repeating the advertising hype from the gharpedia website. It is also known as lumber core plywood. Nothing really new with blockboard, other than the name. I think I saw my first lumber core plywood over 20 years ago. The best lumber core plywood has two veneer layers on each side. The lumber strips run the length of the panels (4'x8' is standard). If the panel has only three plies the grain of the veneers run in the short direction across the panel. Those are not normally used stained as the grain runs across the panel. Often those will be birch veneer which paints well. With 5 layers, two veneer each side the outside layers can have grain run lengthwise and be stained and look sorta like sawn boards. The top layer being thin like regular plywood skins and the second layer thicker.

However, there can also be invisible differences between manufacturers. Some of the panels only use full length strips for the two outer edges of the panels. The strips in the middle can have simple end butt joints. There can even be a slight end gap as the strips are not finger jointed like some lumber or trim is.

I have bought high-quality lumber core hardwood plywood at dealers that specialize in quality woods. Most used poplar as core material; more dense, take screws better and yes, weighs more than the other stuff, more than many plywoods. The edges of the strips were T&G jointed. I doubt the edges of the referenced panels are.

Years ago there was even maple lumber core available. IIRC they used full length strips or at least finger-jointed the end joints of strips used in the field of the panels.

As with virtually everything there are cheaper and more expensive varieties with the cost usually reflecting quality.

BTW, the name "blockboard" is British, which explains why the linked to website (in India) used the term.

rockies
# Posted: 23 Feb 2019 19:35 - Edited by: rockies

The marvelous thing about my posting so many topics (if I may say so myself ) is that it usually sparks a discussion which reveals even more useful information about a product or method people may never have heard of before, so thank you for the great info ICC.

Nate R
# Posted: 24 Feb 2019 08:11

Interesting, I didn't know this material existed. I'm due to replace some 100 yr old pantry shelves with a long span in my house this year....an option I'll have to keep in mind.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.