Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Off Grid Non-Electric Propane Tankless Hot Water Heater
rockies
# Posted: 24 Feb 2019 18:22

For people who have no solar power, or very little. Operates off 2 D cell batteries.

https://marey.com/english/products/gas-water-heaters/duct-exhaust/power-gas-16l-lpg-d p-ga16lpdp.html

Nobadays
# Posted: 24 Feb 2019 21:07

Anyone have any experience with this unit at altitude? Our cabin is at 9500'. The only one we have seen in our research that anyone has had experience at altitude with is the Takagi. Apparently it has switches you can set to make it operate better at high elevations. This is the one we are looking at but would love to spend less money if possible.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057X28EG/?coliid=IJ2AZV6RWZQVF&colid=3SAXRU0U2D4J2&psc=0& ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 24 Feb 2019 22:56

I'm curious, why would you require a special unit at a higher altitude?

I have the Marey on demand that runs on two D batteries. Not the one posted because I did not want anything digital. You will find the one I have on the web site.
It is a very nice system. Very well built. Been using it for three years without a problem.
Do need a 12 volt pump to activate the pilot light. Without enough water pressure it won't light.

Nobadays
# Posted: 25 Feb 2019 08:18

Silver.... Less oxygen and lower air pressure at higher elevations.

With most of these on-demand water heaters they are rated to 2000' and not recommended above that elevation. Propane will not burn efficiently and can trigger the low oxygen shut off. Besides that the incomplete burn will produce carbon monoxide rather than harmless carbon dioxide associated with burning LPG.

The one I reference has been used - per the reviewers at higher elevations once the dip switches are properly set- BUT it does need 120v power. I would love to use one like the Marey you have. One less drain on the solar system

Fanman
# Posted: 25 Feb 2019 08:47

We have a Bosh tankless unit which has no batteries or pilot... the flowing water spins a little turbine generator which generates the electricity to light it. We're not off grid but our electricity is unreliable, but the campwide water system works well.

The Bosch is mostly reliable, but the little generator can get clogged and has a hard time if the water pressure is low.

snobdds
# Posted: 25 Feb 2019 11:43

I have a marey tankless water heater that works on the two D cell batteries. I also have a cabin at 9600 feet. I have a gravity fed well off a spring that I don't have any pressure problems with. I have made no adjustments and it works great. I just run a water hose to it and a propane line. Just turn on flow and I have hot water.

Nobadays
# Posted: 25 Feb 2019 16:19

snobdds... this is great! exactly the info I was looking for!

Do you by chance know the model of your Marey tankless water heater? We use a Shurflo pump to pressurize the system which is a common method for off-grid tankless water heaters.

Thank you!

snobdds
# Posted: 25 Feb 2019 17:55

Quoting: Nobadays
Do you by chance know the model of your Marey tankless water heater? We use a Shurflo pump to pressurize the system which is a common method for off-grid tankless water heaters.

This is the model I have, the 3.1 GPM model.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MAREY-3-1-GPM-Liquid-Propane-Tankless-Gas-Water-Heater-GA 10LP/203831044

Nobadays
# Posted: 25 Feb 2019 19:06

Snobbds... thank you. I do see in the "fine print" that the Marey, "is not appropriate for elevations over 3000 feet..."

But hey, if it works for you at 9600' it should work for us at 9500'!

Do you find the 10L / 3.1gpm sufficient for your use? Or do you wish you had went with the next size up, the 16L/4.3L model?

Thanks Don

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Mar 2019 15:09

I have 5L iHeat brand. What you really need to look for on these is the temperature rise not the 5l, 10L or 16L rating. My little 5L iHeat will heat better than the 10L ecotemp at half the cost.

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Mar 2019 15:55

Brettny.... I couldn't find an LPG iHeat tankless designed for indoor use. The one Home Depot carries is for outdoor use and has this little gem in the product overview, "IHeat AGL-5 is a portable liquid propane fired water heater capable of delivering 1 to 1.4 gal. of hot water almost anywhere your incoming water temp does not go under 65 degree F" Not sure where you are located but our water never reaches 65 degrees.

In my experience with tankless water heaters (lived in China for years and that is what we primarily used) larger flow capability seems to have the advantage that when less water is being pushed through will allow for hotter water which is needed when the incoming water temp is in the 40-50 degree range. We found in the winter with the smaller heaters we had to slow the water down to a minimum to maintain a hot shower- or sort of a shower. We had one tankless unit that was designed for something like 6 gpm and even in the winter when the water was really cold you could get a good strong hot shower.

All that said.... it could just as likely be the better designed units, big or small put out better heated water at volume. It's a crap shoot! I'm just trying to get input and read reviews to figure out what to get. Our elevation -9500'- is the biggest issue as these things often do not work at that elevation.... apparently the Marey does, as does the Takagi.

Thanks for the input!

countrygirl
# Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:44

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/eccotemp-ie-11-electric-tankless-water-heater/100111 0175?eid=PS_MICROSOFT_HD%20%7C%20E-Comm%20-%20Bing_E-Comm%20%7C%20Shopping%20%7C
this is the one we are putting in our cabin. we have been using https://www.lowes.ca/water-heaters/eccotemp-l5-portable-tankless-water-heater_1293656 7.html?af=3632&cse=3632&cm_mmc=shopping_bing-_-g_111_1-_-352069184-_-&msclkid=6aee0eb d95801c0aff2f522d6a0e355c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%7CShopping%7CA O%7CGeneric%7CAll%20Products%7C%7. but now that we are reworking our water system we decided to put a proper hot water heater that vents outside.

razmichael
# Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:59

Countrygirl - is that the correct link to your new one? It is electric (240V 50 amps). Not really an off-grid system. Just wondering as you mentioned venting outside??

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Mar 2019 12:59

countrygirl... thank you for the input! I have heard of folks having trouble with the Eccotemp heaters at higher elevations... can't remember where I saw it but they were saying that it would fire for a bit then go out, probably tripping the low O2 sensor.

We are going to go with the Marey. If it works at 9600' for snobdds it should work for us at 9500'

countrygirl
# Posted: 19 Mar 2019 15:32 - Edited by: countrygirl

we have a large solar system 4300Watts totally off grid. we had been using the outdoor Eccotemps in side, not ideal, but works if you turn on fans. The new Eccotemp iE-11(but propan, I posted the electrical on by accident)we are designed to vent outside

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.