Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Care to check this info out on cabin for sale and provide insight?
Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 8 Apr 2019 02:15

Someone on FB marketplace here in Arkansas (3 hour drive from my rural property) has a “99% finished out Bald Eagle Barn cabin for $9,000. We estimate moving it to be a min of $1,000. This company has the exact cabin for $5,000, will deliver for free and put on blocks and offers a payment plan. Dude with cabin has owned for several years, it’s professionally insulated, plumbed, electric, all certified, window a/c, water heater, heater, jacuzzi tub, 1 x 6 v pine interior, pet plumbing with heat tape, mini fridge, bay sink, added loft which fits queen bed, vinyl tile floor, fridge, full size toilet, tile bathroom counter top with corner sink, 1 bay full kitchen sink, he states it was well built and that he invested $18,000 in it. Please understand I have no idea about all that info I just copied/pasted in here. Is this with all that finishing worth $9,000 plus app $1,000 to move or would it be best to get new one for $5,000, moved and set-up for free, then do the finishing out? Could I get it finished out for $5,000 with the above mentioned? Should I jump on this? I am scheduled to see it on Wednesday.

Thank you for your time,

Amber

monkeydeck
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 09:35

what is the size? any pics?

Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 12:59

Hi monkeydeck, it is 10x20, he also is providing the wood to finish out the last little bit that he didn't complete. 4 of 9 photos attached.
1.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
4.jpg

Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 13:00

5-8 of 9 photos attached.
5.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
8.jpg

Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 13:01 - Edited by: Ambersletterboc

photo 9 of 9 attached (that hole is a little dog house he added under the stairs).
9.jpg
9.jpg

NorthRick
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 16:41

So, do you like to do interior work or are you just looking to save money? If you enjoy doing finish work you should probably go with the shell. On the other hand, if you don't really like to do that type of work, and are looking at the shell just to save money, I'd get the finished one.

In the end, pricewise, I think it would be close. Go with the option that is likely to make you happier in the end.

Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 17:35

Thank you so much for the advice! I do not know how to do any of it - but my fella and family members do, so, this is indeed worth running by them (as they will be doing the brunt of it - I will be there to help but I'm a bit accident prone, so, they'll not let me get too involved). I'm going to go check it out because I saw he first had it listed in December of 2017 - when I spoke to him this weekend he said no one wants to move it and he's willing to go down in price to get rid of it. So, I may go and see it just to see how much he's willing to come down - but if it's not enough, I may get the new one and pay it out. It would be best for me financially to do it little by little (and we love being out where it will be located and doing stuff-I think we'd love doing stuff ourselves - and..... my aunt is building a new house as we speak so I may be able to get scraps from her and repurpose them - I would love that so much, to repurpose, upcycle, but I just don't know anything or where to begin-how to get us in the right direction and the barrage of info out there is overwhelming) but when looking at this I was like, "Wow this is too good to be true I better grab this!" as the finished out ones I've seen online are like $20 k and up (and I may be looking in the wrong places). Thank you so much for your time! Amber

frankpaige
# Posted: 9 Apr 2019 19:07

Amber,
One thing you said that caught my eye. "No one wanted to move it". If you were serious about this purchase, I would definitely chat with the person/persons involved in that process. Make sure your have a good idea on that cost.
The other. Every Lady has their own designer eye. If the inside touches are close to your tastes. All that much better. For some of us, it is the journey. Others not so much. But, in the end. It's a grand thing
Enjoy

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Apr 2019 10:35

Not sure on prices in your area but $5k will get you a 12x30ft shed here in NY. Made from real wood not OSB siding. Granted you can pay more here if you would like.

As been stated you really need to call and talk to the moving company. A building that you cant move, you cant buy.

I also doubt hes $18k into it but idk the local prices. The only way i could see $18k would be if he paid someone to do everything.

Have you priced out a stick built structure?

monkeydeck
# Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:13

hi Amber
I sell those for $4300, I would be surprised if it would cost more than another 5k to finish if you were doing it yourself. Moving it 3 hours around here would probably cost another 700-1200. imo not worth it at all. Order a new one, bigger, 12x24 ($5800) with a 6 foot porch instead of 4, and you would be way better off.
just my 2c

monkeydeck
# Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:16

whats your location? you may be in my delivery range

Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:33

Good morning everyone - thank you all so, so much for your time and input - and monkeydeck - thank you so much for the offer - I appreciate you! I just paid the 25% deposit this morning (went to see it over the weekend and it is exactly as pictured - it's in perfect shape just some work to finish) and signed a contract. Not sure what y'all will think in the end as you are the experts - I hope it was a good choice/decision - the mover is moving it for me (175 miles) for $1,500 - b/c of that, the owner of the building came down to $7,500 - so, in the end (if there's no glitches, that is) $9,000 moved and set-up - all I'll have to do is connect it to water, septic and power - ready to go. Thank you all again - I appreciate you so much and I imagine I will have more "how do you" threads in the future now that I'm a proud (and excited) tiny cabin owner! Amber.

Ambersletterboc
# Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:37

p.s. Last week I figured out why he paid $9,000 b/c I looked at the exact cabin at the place he bought it from, considered financing a new one myself (and I'm within their delivery range) - it's $5,000 before tax straight up but with the long financing, with tax, I imagine it was $9,000 and I imagine that's how he paid for it - but I didn't want to ask. Thanks again!

monkeydeck
# Posted: 17 Apr 2019 20:13

Sounds good, fwiw it looks like they did a nice job on the interior, have fun and keep us updated

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.