Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Internal Meat Thermometers
rockies
# Posted: 2 May 2019 22:09

When cooking meat at the cabin, or on an open fire, it's sometimes tough to tell if the heat is high enough to kill off any potential pathogens. Therefore I've decided to get an internal meat thermometer to see if the meat is done.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-instant-read-thermometer/

darz5150
# Posted: 2 May 2019 23:37 - Edited by: darz5150

Good post rockies. Nothing will make you remember a cookout.... More than food poisoning. Lol. I went to one gathering, that the girl cooking thought that if you heated up bratwurst like hot dogs...that they were safe to eat......NOT!!!!
I just picked up this one from Wally World, for $20 bucks. It has 4 temp probes. Very accurate. Not sure if I will need 4 probes at the same time. But nice to have if your grilling, deep frying, or boiling crawfish at the same time.
But, I got it because it has 4 probes. If one goes bad, or you break it. You have spares ready.
Thermometer
Thermometer

sparky30_06
# Posted: 3 May 2019 08:51

just get a small dial style quick read and you will be good. digital = dead batteries

Nate R
# Posted: 3 May 2019 08:54

Sparky has a good point, but I find some of mine to be pretty good on batteries. I like to order/buy extras to keep with the thermometer anyway, so I'm prepared.

The Thermopop is a favorite of mine. Works, easy, fast, accurate. I have one at our place in the woods and one at home.

ICC
# Posted: 3 May 2019 15:59 - Edited by: ICC

The ThermoWorks Thermapen Mk4 is the best. I've had one for a few years. Sure digital needs a battery, so what, so does a whole lot of other devices we have. This particular one is blazing fast and accurate. One AAA battery, not a weird size coin cell; lasts thousands of hours.

Just noted that there is a $75 special on their grey color version at Thermoworks website.
A review

rockies
# Posted: 3 May 2019 19:10

And, of course, I should have included the temperatures necessary for each type of meat.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.