Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / A First Aid Kit for Rural Living
rockies
# Posted: 10 May 2019 20:42

https://iamcountryside.com/self-reliance/a-first-aid-kit-for-rural-living/

darz5150
# Posted: 10 May 2019 23:20

Its my opinion that the more remote/rural you are, that you should be prepared accordingly.
It boggles my mind how sometimes people can spend a couple hundred bucks on a BBQ grill. But never think of buying a $100 first aid kit and fire extinguisher.
Here's a picture of a recent injury we dealt with. Not life or death. But a bit more serious than a fish hook stuck in yer finger!
Angle grinder vs hand
Angle grinder vs hand

hueyjazz
# Posted: 13 May 2019 11:47

I have a very extensive medical kit at my cabin organized into a EMT kit. My mother was a surgical nurse back in the day and trained us.

Well the other week I managed to chop off the tip of my thumb with axe. No bone damage. Didn't know how bad it was until I got it out of Betadine solution. Well this one was beyond my talents. Bandaged it up best I could, packed up the dogs.

Closer hospital is 1/2 an hour away but just isn't that good. Drove an hour back home where I have my choice of four pretty good hospitals.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 14 May 2019 09:10

getting ready to order a kit from these guys.

www.mymedic.com

hueyjazz
# Posted: 14 May 2019 12:04

Sparky
You can do it way cheaper yourself and customize it to your needs.
I used this kit as a basis. Nicely boxed, readily identifiable as to which each part is.

https://www.gosafetysupplies.com/first-aid-kits/24-unit-refill.html

Keep in mind many supplies have an expiration date.
To the pack kit I added Blood clotting agent, Hyfin chest vent seal, Battlefield compression bandage and a tourniquet. This all organizes neatly into an EMT bag I got off of Amazon for $30.

Bleeding is one of the main things you want to be prepared for and can control with right stuff. There's a lot of hunters in our area. I want to be ready for gun or arrow shot.

Nothing is a substitute for knowing how to use supplies. An emergency isn't a great time to be reading instructions.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 15 May 2019 08:35

hueyjazz
There are cheaper way to make them up for sure. I just haven't had time and have been lazy lol
For me at my hunting camp dehydration and bleeding are the top two for sure. Hopefully I don't have to deal with a gunshot wound, getting stuck with an arrow, gun blowing up, or deep knife cuts but need to be prepared. I also keep eye wash bottles, that large ones, and burn creams on hand also.
Lots of items do have expiration dates on them and you have to be mindful of them and training is very important. Youtube when in the middle of no where during an emergency is not a good idea!!!

beachman
# Posted: 15 May 2019 08:44

One interesting item that I do not see mentioned is Crazy Glue. Laugh if you must, but I have used this on a gash from chopping wood and it worked great - just like stiches. Bleeding is very bad as well as infection so a proper cleaning/antiseptic agent goes a long way. Nothing beats having a proper kit around and knowing how to use it.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 15 May 2019 11:45

Yup
I’ve used crazy glue and fish line to keep cuts closed before. Not my first choice as it generally has to come off with solvent. But it does work

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.