Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / Danby Designer Chest Freezer Conversion
rockies
# Posted: 17 Jun 2019 22:05 - Edited by: rockies

I keep debating whether to convert a chest type freezer into a fridge instead of using a regular upright fridge.

The Danby Designer uses 189 kWh/yr (it uses the least amount of power for an 8.1 cubic foot unit I could find - small in size but still large enough for a decent amount of food) but if converted to a fridge it will use a lot less power.

https://www.danby.com/products/freezers/dcf051a3wdd/

Has anyone converted a chest freezer into a fridge?

aktundra
# Posted: 17 Jun 2019 22:32 - Edited by: aktundra

Yes, I have. It works great! Runs off my small solar system all summer. It takes more space than In upright. I keep it on the porch. I can get you more details when I’m home, on energy usage and such. I bought the Johnson temperature control on amazon and plugged it in. As far as DIY goes, it’s as simple as it can get.

Johnson Controls A19AAT-2C Freezer Temperature Controller (D132) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EAL58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qZecDbV4MYCRX

rockies
# Posted: 17 Jun 2019 22:53

A cool article (no pun intended).

https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/chest_fridge2.pdf

darz5150
# Posted: 17 Jun 2019 23:38

I believe I posted this before. But here is a quick run down on how to turn a chest type freezer into both a fridge and freezer. Without buying an additional thermostat.
Basically cut a piece of 1 1/2 inch thick styro foam to fit inside your freezer. Then cut it in half. From front to back for easy removal. You can put a finger hole in each piece for easy removal.
Put all your freezer items as evenly as possible in the bottom. Put the divider on top of them. Then you can put your refrigerator items in the baskets that slide from side to side in the top. I used 2 baskets that left a space deep enough for milk or soda bottles etc.
You can adjust the built in thermostat on the freezer to find your perfect temps to keep the bottom frozen and the top cold.
This way when you open the lid to grab something from the top fridge. It still keeps the bottom items isolated and frozen.

darz5150
# Posted: 17 Jun 2019 23:45

Also you can get flat rate shipping boxes for free from the post office. They stack flat and seem to fit well in the bottom of the freezer. Keeping it sorta organized. And it makes it easier when you need to grab stuff from the bottom of the freezer.

darz5150
# Posted: 18 Jun 2019 00:05 - Edited by: darz5150

Here's one for you rockies you might want to think about.
I had one of our freezers go out. I have a couple mid size dorm refrigerator/with freezers. I cranked the thermostat on one of them all the way down. I put the stuff from the broken freezer in it. And it kept everything frozen til I could replace the freezer that broke.
Now here's the idea. I was thinking about placing 2 of the dorm fridges side by side. Then moving the hinges on one of them so they both open from the middle. Basically making a mini side by side refrigerator/freezer in a smaller space. If you crank down the thermostat on one of them for the freezer side.
Don't know about the power consumption running 2 units. But when I mocked it up on my work bench. It had a pretty cool look to it. It would look cool if you could incorporate it into your cabinet layout like a built in unit with wood trim etc.

Ntwadumela
# Posted: 20 May 2023 11:07

Hey people, forgive me of this is not the right place.
Very new to this and trying to get my freezer running off 300watts of panels. My inverter 500wts keeps beeping after a second. What am I doing wrong or do I have enough solar?
Freezer specs below.
Freezer specs
Freezer specs

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.