Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Useful Links and Resources / 12v solar utility pump
bobrok
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 14:56

I just got a new NT catalog in the mail and found this nifty little item that some might find useful. It says it's a new item.
URL
Almost a 50 foot lift; 3 hour battery; not bad.

What's your opinion of Northern Tool and similar places? Good stuff? Junk? Buyer beware? I don't have too much experience with them. I usually seek out a specialty shop in the specific product category for which I am looking. I figure they are more expert at recommendations.
12v solar pump
12v solar pump

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 16:09 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

bobrok,

I think for that amount of money you can do a lot better. If you need a lot of lift you won't get 0.76 gpm at 50ft., probably only at 1ft.

Here is what I'm going to use for my shower setup. It will also be used to fill up my water barrel in my pickup from the spring.

$80 - SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump
$11 - SHURflo 255-313 Classic Series Twist-On Strainer
$70 - HQRP 12W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel
or
$80 - Sunforce 52022 5 Watt Solar Trickle Charger - Pack of 2
$80 - 12v RV/Marine Battery

For the same $250 I have a much higher rated pump, many times the power storage and the same charging ability.

I will use quick disconnect hose fittings so I can take the pump, mounted in an open box frame, with me down to the spring and connect it to my truck battery to fill the 55 gal barrel I use to transport water up to my shed.

Once back at the shed I can use it to transfer water, the half barrel of water that won't siphon, into my permanent water storage.

I can then hook the pump up to the Eccotemp L5 hot water heater in my shower setup.

I'm not knocking Northern Tool. I have one of their Northstar generators and really like it. I just think in this case you can easily roll your own solution and come out way ahead.

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Mar 2011 21:00

Quoting: MikeOnBike
I just think in this case you can easily roll your own solution and come out way ahead.

MikeOnBike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree with your assessment on cost/value and building your own setup; just wanted to see what others would say as well, and also opinions on places like NT and HF for quality.

I actually have a much different need/setup than this for my cabin but when I saw the NEW ITEM in the catalog I remembered previous topics discusssed here about pumping, showers, etc. and wanted to share.

I've been leery of buying from these places because of quality perceptions.

Appreciate hearing from you.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.