Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / LED cabin/shop lighting
darz5150
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 00:29

I pretty much have converted all our lighting to LED.
Both 12 vdc and 120 volts.
I haven't had any of the 12 volt crap out yet. The 4 foot flourecent replacements are so far so good. Had a couple single bulb E26 type go wonky on me already. But overall, happy. I picked up some of those multi blade E26 base ceiling fan looking lights. And so far, I am impressed with the amount of light they toss out. Got them all off Amazon.
3 blade light
3 blade light
5 blade plus center
5 blade plus center
Shop LED's
Shop LED's

paulz
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 09:21

Very nice Darz. Your shop is way to clean. Clearly you are not taking enough stuff apart and not putting it back together. Let me know if you need help with that.

LED lighting came about just in time for me, there is no way we could have, and continue to enjoy our off grid cabin without them. Well maybe propane lighting or something.

Back at the grid, I have the 4' fluorescent replacement LED shop lights in my shop, power is not a concern but much brighter and reliable. Costco sells them for $20.

A friend of mine who works in marketing gave us a three array light like yours back before they went on the market. It screws into a standard socket and goes on automatically. Haven't had to turn on the kitchen light in long time.

I even put LED head and tail lights in my old truck. It has a small alternator that wasn't keeping up at night. Now it charges well even at night.
20201212_162414_resi.jpg
20201212_162414_resi.jpg

offgrididaho
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 10:56

Haven't tried the fluorescent replacements yet, but redid the lights in my garage at home with these and waaayyy more light and no flicker, totally worth it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786N3HF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

(old fixtures were so beat up I didn't feel like investing in fluorescent replacements when I could just do the whole fixture).

-- Bass

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 12:02 - Edited by: gcrank1

Ive been steadily replacing lighting at home with LEDs and it was a no brainer at the cabin where it made ALL the diff in efficiency and illumination. I buy the Edison type 110 LEDs in cheap 4 packs and in the past year have lost none. I think I remember when they were about $10 a bulb? Not now, thank God.
In the cabin they work so well with such a light draw that I have no need of running 12vdc, overhead of running a small inverter to 110 is not a problem and 110 fixtures/switches, etc is way easy and inexpensive compared to 12vdc stuff.
Just had some of my old fluor. shop lights give me fits, probably tired ballasts....so down and out; put up some new LED 4' lightweight replacements and am waayyy happy. One 100w equiv. in my 1 car garage/shop is better than the heavy 2 x 3 bulb fluor. that I had for years.
Menards had the 3 blade 'fan' lights on sale last week for $10, that got my follow-up to pick up the package and the price set the hook. What a champ! I should get another one.

BobW
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 15:42

After putting in a single tube LED the old two tube shop lights looked like glow in the darks.

darz5150
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 17:52

Quoting: paulz
Very nice Darz. Your shop is way to clean. Clearly you are not taking enough stuff apart and not putting it back together. Let me know if you need help with that

Paulz. Lol. I would enjoy it if we lived closer and you could give me a hand.👍
Actually when I took the pic I did tidy things up a bit. I tossed out a couple beer cans, cleaned up recent blood stains etc. 🍺😫
But sometimes when I really got a mess and need to clean stuff up. I just watch an episode of Hoarders on TV and tell myself. "Dam. My place looks great! Lolol.

darz5150
# Posted: 14 Dec 2020 18:19 - Edited by: darz5150

Here's a couple more LED's.
Side x side
Side x side
12 volt side yard lights.
12 volt side yard lights.

WILL1E
# Posted: 15 Dec 2020 08:22

@Darz5150...can you post link for the 5 blade plus center light? I want to get some for my garage and want the center light..3 blade or 5 blade would work. There are alot of options, just looking for one that someone i can trust (you guys) has experience with vs. just reading the reviews.

darz5150
# Posted: 15 Dec 2020 10:14

WILL1E.
Here's the 3 brands I have. Just search Amazon led shop lites.
3 blade light
3 blade light
5 blade plus center
5 blade plus center
5 blade/cheaper
5 blade/cheaper

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.