Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Trailer coating
paulz
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 18:56 - Edited by: paulz

I have put plywood down on a utility trailer bed I'm fixing up. Wondering what to put over the plywood for weather protection. Some aluminum diamond plate would be nice, but..

I have a gallon of truck bed coating. Used it on my steel car trailer, it's super strong and adheres well, has a nice non skid texture. The can says for metal, nothing about wood. I tested it on a piece, seems fine, but I don't want it peeling off later.

Could just paint it with exterior paint I guess. Any other ideas?
coating.jpg
coating.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 21:31

We've used rhino bed liner on wood before. It held up well.
I also used the dollar general version of spray on flex steel on my portable camp kitchen box made out of marine grade plywood. It stays outside nearly 24/7/365.
It also is holding up well. It's like $5 bucks a can at DG.
I would say use the bed liner you have.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 22:42

Im not sold on a lot of expensive stuff, too much of it is high priced to pay for the advertising. Example, I bought expensive Behr deck stain, followed the directions on seasoned deck wood and it didnt hold up any better than cheaper stuff.
I dont like slippery when wet (or dry) decking on anything I may have to walk on. Whatever you use maybe think on adding in some of that traction sand?

Brettny
# Posted: 31 Dec 2020 07:11

The bed liner prob says it's not for wood because wood moves.

I have non PT 2x6 on the center of my car trailer for about 6+yrs now. I would use motor oil for a free/cheap outdoor finish. Its pretty easy to apply with a HVLP gun and thinned with diesel.

paulz
# Posted: 31 Dec 2020 09:40

My can of bed liner doesn't say not for wood, just says 'for metal'. Did some searching, found out I'm one of many curious about this. Used a lot on boat decks. Most advice says some bed liners do say OK for wood, some don't.

Rained last night, fortunately I had thrown a tarp over it. Got time to decide..

paulz
# Posted: 5 Jan 2021 12:56

Well I went with the bed liner. Just a trailer frame I picked up locally for $200, mainly because it has good brakes, brand new tires and a title. Put about $100 into it (had the wood already) I really should stay off the classifieds more..
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg
aad.JPG
aad.JPG

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Jan 2021 17:16

Im thinkin you'd go crazy if you didnt collect projects

paulz
# Posted: 5 Jan 2021 18:32

Well it's nice now since we can't do other things: restaurants, movies, travel... but sure looking forward to doing some of that again.

In the meantime.. I've had this box kicking around at the cabin, was storing kindling in it. My first thought was to mount it at the front of the trailer deck but now I don't see why it can't go in front.
20210105_152752_resi.jpg
20210105_152752_resi.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 6 Jan 2021 09:26

ICC mentioned a mnemonic (if that's the right word..) for knowing which slot in a 110 ac outlet the black and white wires go to, that being Wide (slot is the) White.

I was wiring lights on the trailer yesterday and used one I thought up years ago. Trailer and vehicle tail light wiring typically uses a standard of Brown, Green and Yellow coloring. The Brown is for the tail (night) bulbs and goes to both sides. The Yellow and Green go to the combination Blinker/Stop bulbs, individual wires due to left and right blinkers.

So, the gReen wire goes to the Right blinker/stop bulb, the yeLLow wire goes to the Left blinker/stop bulb.

Not as simple as the Wide/White but has worked for me over the years.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.