Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / I don't like making mistakes!
paulz
# Posted: 11 Apr 2021 12:40

How about you? I'm pretty good with mechanics, having done it so many years, but construction, even though I'm decent at math and know how to use a tape measure...

So earlier this week I had to cut a 4x8 sheet roughly in half, except with a diagonal for my gable end. 39-3/4" on one side. Measured the height of the other side, 1/2" over 5', because it was dark and I could see the red tag on the tape measure at 5'. Crawled down out of the loft and marked the sheet. But instead of 5'-1/2", I marked, and cut, at 50-1/2", 10" short.

Luckily it was just my free wood paneling. If it had been 3/4" plywood I might be writing my obit instead. And it's not really the cost of the material, nor having to go get another sheet, it's how can I be such a dumb ass sometimes.

Cheer me up.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 11 Apr 2021 14:05

I find myself doing that sometimes, It usually happens when I'm in a hurry and mix up the numbers.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Apr 2021 14:10

Btdt too many times to keep track of, and long after I should have known better.
For me it is brain-tired, been at it too long or trying to finish up because Im 'project oriented' rather than 'time oriented'.
Now I mostly quit when Im getting tired except for when I dont....
Im glad to see Im in such good company as you

ICC
# Posted: 11 Apr 2021 15:41

It seems that the errors are usually cutting too short. Or at least those are the ones I remember.

FishHog
# Posted: 11 Apr 2021 16:43

Quoting: paulz
Well it wasn't that bad...

OK, that made me laugh.

I am very hard on myself when I make stupid mistakes. Usually the result of being too tired or rushing. The odd time from too many beers.

fitzpatt
# Posted: 12 Apr 2021 09:25

often happens to me after too many beer, when hungry and most often after too many beer and hungry.

paulz
# Posted: 12 Apr 2021 12:47

Like most say, happens when tired. My problem is at 63, tired pretty much means from lunch on.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Apr 2021 13:20

Have a short nap after lunch. 20 to 30 minutes does it for me and then I'm good to 10 - 11 PM

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Apr 2021 13:27

Hey man, you'll have that

Absolutely
# Posted: 12 Apr 2021 16:43

"I've cut it three times and it's *still* too short!"

jsahara24
# Posted: 12 Apr 2021 17:52

Someone once told me the difference between a good carpenter and a bad carpenter is the good ones fix their mistakes.....But they all make them!

Mine just tend to happen more often....haha....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.