Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / NEWS: Tesla’s shift to LFP cells for Megapack batteries heralds an energy storage revolution
Steve_S
# Posted: 11 May 2021 05:40

Tesla’s shift to LFP cells for Megapack batteries heralds an energy storage revolution
BySimon Alvarez
Posted on May 4, 2021

Canaccord Genuity analyst Jed Dorsheimer recently noted that Tesla has shifted to cobalt-free lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries for its flagship energy storage product, the Megapack. Such a change may seem minor, but the advantages presented by LFP batteries for the Megapack are notable, so much so that it may very well trigger an energy storage revolution of sorts.

“Tesla announced that Megapack will be using LFP cathode batteries, similar to the entry-level Made-in-China Model 3/Ys. This is significant, as Tesla ramps up their grid-scale energy storage product without drawing further on an already supply-constrained nickel-based battery production capacity used in 2170s,” the analyst wrote

It took Tesla some time before it decided to use LFP batteries for its vehicles. LFP batteries are typically cheaper to produce, and the fact that they use no cobalt makes them one of the least controversial batteries on the market. However, LFP batteries also tend to be less energy-dense than the nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) cells used by Tesla in its flagship electric vehicles.

STORY CONTINUES:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-lfp-megapack-batteries-disruption/

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 May 2021 20:12

If only I had an LFP powered EV SUV, minivan or pickup truck Id just plug it into my offgrid cabin while there and forget about generating power on site.

ICC
# Posted: 11 May 2021 21:55 - Edited by: ICC

As long as you leave enough energy in the vehicle battery to get home

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 May 2021 22:37

Dont they come with a low voltage cutoff?
No worries, I'd just carry one of those pockets size starter packs

paulz
# Posted: 11 May 2021 22:46

Up until this year my cabin was plugged into my truck, which had two batteries in the back, first LA then LFP. It actually worked well, however 3 days was the max before driving to grid power to charge.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 May 2021 23:04

Im sure that when the EV vehicle I want becomes available I wont be able to afford it ; even today good ICE vehicles are too expensive used for me.
I have thought that a 'power-block'/lfp (akin to the Tesla PowerWall only in the back of my rig to charge up at home) would be a way to go. I could make one up far cheaper than these commercial 'solar generators' that are not solar nor generators, just fancy battery packs. A 200ah LFP with some 160-180ah net would run us a lot. With an LFP charger onboard (alternator or stand-alone) for whenever the vehicle would be running would be smart as well as a fast grid charger at home.
But then I think, hmmm, for what all that would cost I could probably run grid the 350ish feet right to the cabin from the pole with transformer already out front.

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 May 2021 05:16

Tesla itself has been slow to adopt V2H (Vehicle to Home) tech as their first goal was to address V2G (Vehicle to Grid) which is a more complex issue to resolve. They have done so now and are capable of running the Virtual Power Grid tech, so now they are dealing with the V2H side of it.

Other Companies BMW, VW and several of the Chinese Based ones like Volvo/Geely, BYD, MG etc do have some V2H & V2G capabilities.
Ford has talked about V2H but they are thinking V2G first.
GM - who knows, they change their minds more often than a $10 hooker changes undies at a Seaport on a Saturday Night.

E-Cycles like Harley Davidsons Livewire (now a separate company) intend to offer V2H/G as well. Although given Cycles battery sizes, I'm not so sure about it.

For the Fellow Cabineers & Independent-minded, I feel that if anyone buys an EV, that it should at minimum have the V2H as a standard feature. Many of the EV's that are coming will have some variant of it. Many FUDster's say it will kill an EV Battery, so far from the truth, they're on another planet (without air). Running a home from batteries is fairly light loads honestly for an EV Battery Pack that can handle 500A Bursts +, where a home "may" see short 100A surges "possibly". Anyways, that's a whole other thing....

ICC
# Posted: 12 May 2021 08:52

Quoting: gcrank1
Dont they come with a low voltage cutoff?

Yes, and then they won't move. You did say EV, not a hybrid. If my Tesla is run till the system cuts off the battery it stops and sits there, wherever "there" is.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 May 2021 09:19

What! In this High-Tech age the EV has NO reserve? I would think the LV cut-off, when Not driving, should be at a point, perhaps owner set, to provide X-miles buffer to maybe get to a charging station.
Certainly it has, when driving, a warning of Low Battery or such?

ICC
# Posted: 12 May 2021 13:31 - Edited by: ICC

I look at the cabin or home and EV thing the other way around. For me it is more of a necessity to be able to charge the EV at home or at the cabin than it would be to operate home or cabin off the EV.

Where I am there are no public charging stations within 50 miles, and that is in the wrong direction for some intended travel destinations. I cannot think of ever seeing a locally owned EV around here, other than my Tesla. Several hybrids around here, yes. EV, no.

So as with many things location is very important.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 May 2021 20:20 - Edited by: gcrank1

We have one of the cleanest burning coal fired elec gen plants 2 mi. north of our house, The Columbia Energy Center. We have never got any power from it, guess they 'route it' out of state.
But in this Brave New World we are moving into they have announced it will be closed by 2025 as the company is moving to 'renewables', wind and solar.
I cant help but ask, how big a field of solar panels is it going to take to replace that coal plant at just today's elec demand, much less in 20 years? Where is that field of panels going to be? And it is going to be online in 2025?
So, all that to get to: If EV's are the future of personal transportation modules, and they require charging stations at home and away from home, how is this going to happen in a way that even remotely resembles the functionality of the ICE and 'gas stations'?
Looking at the cars lined up out east after this pipeline computer ransom hack I can only imagine the lineup of EV's waiting to get their next 20 mile quick charge.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 May 2021 03:52

10,000 Miles Driven= 27.39 Miles per day, 191.78 Miles per Week, 767.12 Miles per month

WHO drives a Vehicle till it's on Empty ? Not Many !
How many people only put $10 in the tank at a time ?
Can you fill your Vehicle at Home ?
Do you not sleep / rest at night at home for at least 8 hours, if not more ?
Can you NOT plug in your Vehicle when at home for above rest period, and allow the vehicle "FILL" while you snooze ? IS THAT HARD ??
Have your own Gas Pump at Home ? Think NOT ! IF YOU DID, Would you NOT Use it ? Especially if it cost you 20 Cents on the Dollar to do so ?

IMAGINE THAT ! Being able to Fill your car AT HOME ? OMG Getting charged while asleep so you can GO in the Morning ! Nawwww Just a Fantasy. DELUSIONAL !

What Is the Average Mileage Motorists Drive Each Year? The U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration states the average person drives around 13,500 miles every year. This is the highest average miles per year in American history. It equates to well over 1000 miles every month.Jun. 23, 2020

What is Average Mileage Per Year? - Car and Driver

SOURCE: https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a32880477/average-mileage-per-year/#:~:text=Wha t%20Is%20the%20Average%20Mileage,over%201000%20miles%20every%20month.

Worn & Tired diatribes serve only one purpose.

FYI The Colonial Pipeline HACK/SHUTDOWN is a Media HARDBALL Chicken Little Story ! It get's shutdown REGULARLY, due to Seasonal Huricanes, Leaks and even Explosions BUT THE NEWS Won't PUT THAT IN THE HEADLINE ! But IT IS THERE !

One of Many Refs:
https://www.reuters.com/article/colonial-factbox-shutdown-idINL1N2MV0A7

SEE The Media create PANIC for Headline Dollars !
Did EVERYONE go into a similar Panic when shutdown by Hurricanes, fires or ? NO ! No Media Whoopdie Doo ! Ohhh My Suckered AGAIN !

Now the QAnon Wing Flappers will have a melt down because they hate to be exposed as the Gullible Sheeple that they genuinely are... Jumping on the Chicken Little Banswagon and for what ? Corporations who only care about profit above and beyond everything else, even if it kills their own children. GOOD JOB ! Pure Genius ! Baaaa Baaaaa Dumb Sheep.

ICC
# Posted: 13 May 2021 08:43 - Edited by: ICC

A detail missing from those Reuters articles is how long, or how short, a time a section of pipeline was shut down. This computer hack shut down the whole system for 5 days, not just a section here or a section there. It was the entire system; nothing that is controlled by a computer worked, not just a small piece turned off.

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 May 2021 10:04

I'd sure charge at home! Just like I'd fill my vehicles from the farm gas tank and only fill at a station when 'on the road'.
But thinking ahead.....charging stations, how many, where, etc. Cant be at a place that also sells gas, right? Sparks possibility and all? So gas stations stop selling gas and change to charging stations. How long does it take to charge a car vs fill with gas; ie, how long does that car sit in that spot while the line behind gets longer?
Managed properly one may not use a charging station often, but....how many people out there dont seem to be able to manage many of the other details of their lives?

ICC
# Posted: 13 May 2021 10:25 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: gcrank1
.how many people out there dont seem to be able to manage many of the other details of their lives?

I still see the odd person carrying a can of gas to their vehicle on the roadside. Then there are a lot of people who get power, water, etc cut off at home because they can't pay the bill and eat and fix the car to get to work, etc.

Charging the EV at home is wonderful. Many people live and work in a small geographic area and charging at home is not a bother. Charging at home is a great convenience. Others have a longer drive to work and need a charge station, and need to have the time to stop at a charge station. Charge stations are not always easy to find, can have wait times and have been known to be out of service. I really do not like long distance travel with the Tesla. Though one reason I favored the Tesla is its 250 mile available range. It is superb for local county trips, but not as good when the intended days drive is out of range, or so close to range limit as to be uncomfortable.

I have had to hunt for a recharge when the one I was planning on using was out of service, or I had to wait a half hour to get a spot and then wait another 20 minutes to get enough charge to get back home. With gas/diesel a pit stop is very short and the plethora of stations makes them easy to find, except for some lonesome stretches of road here in the SW.

A flat tow can be used to recharge in a pinch

paulz
# Posted: 13 May 2021 12:22

Quoting: ICC
I still see the odd person carrying a can of gas to their vehicle on the roadside.

I carry two gallons in the tool box of my pickup. Speaking of trucks, I couldn't live without one daily, and it will be awhile before I ever get an EV truck, unless I win one somehow.

Even as a die hard internal combustion fan I see the light, partly because there are just too many cars now, party because my cabin solar has taught me about clean energy, and partly because my new crop of lithium tools have been tremendous, I haven't yanked the pull cord on a two stroke in months.

I sure hope I can continue on operating my dozen or so vintage vehicles when the time comes. Will be a lot of guys with the same hopes. Boats and planes too.

95XL883
# Posted: 20 May 2021 06:50

Quoting: Steve_S
SEE The Media create PANIC for Headline Dollars !
Did EVERYONE go into a similar Panic when shutdown by Hurricanes, fires or ? NO ! No Media Whoopdie Doo ! Ohhh My Suckered AGAIN !

Now the QAnon Wing Flappers will have a melt down because they hate to be exposed as the Gullible Sheeple that they genuinely are... Jumping on the Chicken Little Banswagon and for what ? Corporations who only care about profit above and beyond everything else, even if it kills their own children. GOOD JOB ! Pure Genius ! Baaaa Baaaaa Dumb Sheep.

WOW! I chose to stay away from this site for a couple of weeks due to a couple of unnecessarily, condescending remarks and the above is what I read in the first thread I opened this morning.

FWIW, I left the liberal party long ago when I first experienced the bullying and condescending attitude that was similarly displayed above.

I am considering solar because it is a way to be independent and not because it is touted as somehow being morally superior to ICE. But if I have to be an a**hat to use solar, then I will pass.

Steve, generally you seem like a helpful and considerate person. We all have bad moments. Please do not display such ill-temper again.

Steve_S
# Posted: 20 May 2021 07:33

Well if you like that Drama & Click Baiting Headlines too bad, most don't. Don't attempt to parent people, especially when they are likely to be your senoir.

As for going solar & offgrid, we now have the ability to have THAT Independence & Freedom with reasonable affordability. No reason to remain in Indentured Servitude to Big Corporate Power, Oil & Gas when you do not have to...

Politicians are ALL Miscreant scum of the Earth regardless of the party flag they are waving. Most have never actually held a Real Job for any amount of time and have no concept of what "The Real World" is like out there. They should ALL be forced to attend a Guillotine Party ! They'll have to bring their own bucket. Dump all the Geezer Appointees too which only serve to keep the Status Quo in Place, for their Corporate Benefactors & Personal Interests.

95XL883
# Posted: 20 May 2021 08:14

Steve,

No, I don’t like the drama aspect of “news”. Please don’t ascribe that to me.

We are probably more alike than you think. I agree that many, if not most, politicians are scum who have no intention of really working ever. And I definitely agree that the appointees and bureaucracy are an ingrained perniciousness which we would be better without.

That said, hyperbolic rants of guillotine party and bring their own baskets are not helpful, IMO. It seems to me you are bordering on inciting violence. Yes, we need to be enthusiastic and relentless about peaceful changes. Please tone it down just a little.

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 May 2021 09:00

We now (hopefully) return to our regular programing (cabins and such)
Please?

ICC
# Posted: 20 May 2021 10:07 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: 95XL883
Please tone it down ...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.