Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Ad blockers, Pop ups, News Websites..
paulz
# Posted: 1 Jul 2021 08:38

Keeping up on local, US and World news (such as it is..) online has gotten tough. With the ad blocker I have, a pop up appears telling me to allow ads. If I allow ads I get inundated to the point where getting one or two lines of readable text on a page, that is after all the ads load.

Might have to go back to TV, at least I can hit the fridge during the commercials.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jul 2021 09:42

Or you could select one or two or more sites that you really like and subscribe to them. No ads except for the occasional self-promotion. After all, the print newspapers that online news sites have supplanted were never free.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jul 2021 10:00

How about sites like BBC, Reuters, AP, NPR.
Free. No ads or very few on those apps that I use.

paulz
# Posted: 1 Jul 2021 10:38

Thanks ICC. Yeah I get the cost thing. Does anyone actually read or click on those ads? Maybe just a clever way to get you to subscribe. I usually pull up Google news, which lists headlines from various sites, and click on what looks interesting. But yes, I should subscribe to at least a local news site. I'll check out what you mentioned for the rest.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jul 2021 12:18 - Edited by: ICC

Ads are something I ignore as best as I can. I never actually click on any but sometimes if something looks interesting I may go to a web browser and search for the item.

We subscribe (pay) to a local paper as well as to 5 national and international sites.

Also have a look at The Atlantic, The Economist, Pro Publica, The Bureau of Investigative Journalism, Axios

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.