Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Dental Coverage
paulz
# Posted: 10 Aug 2021 19:16

Any of you folks in US on Medicare have any dental insurance? By whom and what's it cost you? I see AARP offers it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 10:13

We have MC plus a supplement, then RX, those through AARP's United Health. Dental is not included in ours (we have a prev dental plan since work with Delta Dental) but I dont have any idea if UH has something.
I keep seeing these 'all inclusive' plan ads on tv for
what is called 'Advantage Plans' that do say they include dental.
We should check that out ourselves. I need to be adding up our out of pocket costs for ALL our plans premiums, deductibles, etc to compare against the Advantage plans then look at what we need that the A plans may not cover or cover as well.
Or take to an agent......take my brain pain for analysis out of the equation; ie, Ive got better things to do

frankpaige
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 11:02

I wonder? About the AARP dental plans? And 3 yrs down the road, when the wife retires, it will become a need maybe. Thinking I should inquire at the dentist about their thoughts? I wonder if telling them, no insurance, just cash would make a difference?
Even with service connected disability, I have not found anything that helps in that area with dental.
Guess I should increase my brushing and flossing.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 11:19

I used to say I had the cost of a good used car in the saving of my teeth.....now with the inflation I'd only get half a car.
A survey I heard about said only about 1/3 of people with dentures liked/were satisfied with them; I know my dad wasnt happy with his. So I opted to save my teeth as long as I can, at 68 Im doing ok but still have issues.
My dentist has commented that Delta Dental is good and I know our premiums and co-pays have been affordable so we have stuck with it.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 11:40

No idea about dental insurance plans. If one does brush and floss, don't drink acidic soda pops and citrus drinks, don't chew ice, stay away from sugar as much as possible, the only thing your dentist will be doing is cleaning and checking. At least that has been my experience. At age 75 the only teeth I have lost were those lost in Vietnam and the surgeries that followed. I do have some very good implants because of that.

paulz
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 12:05 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks guys. I'm inquiring for my wife btw.

Years ago I read an article about a study done by a university with dental training. They did the full treatment on one of their students, fixed everything, then sent him (or her, can't remember) around the country. Every place he went they sought out a dentist for a checkup, saying he had just moved there. The results were astounding, everything from "you're good" to "you need 5 crowns and 10 fillings", and everything in between.

I've also had the same experience. I went to a new place advertising free checkups, brand new spacious office, large young staff, big screen TVs on the wall adverting whitening and straightening.. was told I needed a bunch of work. I then found an older guy, older office, his wife bouncing back and forth from receptionist to dental assistant. He was great, didn't need all the stuff the other place said and took care of me for several years until he retired, a sad day for me, having finally found an honest dentist. Funny thing about them though, they would get in husband/wife arguments right over me laying in the chair, good ones. It was pretty amusing, although a little scary with him holding a pick.

Thinking back on this I think I'll start looking around for another mom and pop operation, maybe just pay cash.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 12:34

Imo the big operations have A Lot of Overhead that has to be paid for.
Guess by whom?

ICC
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 17:09

Find an independent dentist you like and stick with them. I've used the same guy since 1985. Very happy and the folks I have referred to him are also very happy. We're all going to be sad if he retires before we don't need his services anymore.

paulz
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 18:05

That's the problem, dang dentists keep retiring. 3 of mine I can think of off the bat.

40 years with the same dentist, you've been very fortunate.

I've been losing about a tooth a year lately. At this rate I should still hit the finish line with a couple left. Closed casket.

ICC
# Posted: 11 Aug 2021 18:37

Quoting: paulz
40 years with the same dentist, you've been very fortunate.

Yep. A big stroke of luck as I see it. I used to do construction work for him; built the house they bought in '85 when they moved here and the new house they built in 2010 when their kids had all moved on. So I got some of my money back. I think I am on the winning side.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.