Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Covid Booster... muscle pain
Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Nov 2021 13:30

Just got our Covid booster shots, Moderna, day before yesterday. The first shot kind of hit me with flu like symptoms during the night but got up feeling pretty good, lethargic but then my BIL told me that is a symptom of retirement as well!

The second shot kind of knocked me on my butt, felt pretty rough for a couple of days, flu like symptoms, achy, chills and headache. Injection site pain both times, to be expected.

The booster, man yesterday I had to go back to bed after breakfast. Went visiting early afternoon and that wore me out. Really achy. Woke up this morning feeling better except, it feels like I was picking up railroad ties all day yesterday. The muscles in my back are so sore I can't even bend over and if I do I have a hard time trying to get upright again!

Anyone else have muscle pain with the vaccine? I just hope it goes away soon.... I have a hard time sitting still and have work that needs done before the snow flies!

paulz
# Posted: 12 Nov 2021 14:28

Had the Pfizer booster and flu shot same time a month ago, no pain. Same for the wife.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Nov 2021 14:34

I guess I am a lucky one. I originally got the J&J; I was tired for a day but bounced back. I got the Moderna as a booster shortly after boosters became available for those 65+; I was only a little bit tired later that day but woke fine in the AM.

Many of the immediate family members had similar 1 day, mild responses even with the other brands, mix or match. But some were absolutely miserable.

No ryhme or reason that we can figure. Seems like a crap shoot.

As for what the BIL said about retirement, I believe a lot of how a retired parson feels relates directly to keeping busy with things they enjoy. The more occupied with things I like to do, the better I feel.

I start each day with a 4 mile hike in the woods.

I hope your aches pass soon.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 09:16

I took the J&J shot. Do I need or is there a booster shot for this ? My doctor told me no

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 10:14 - Edited by: Nobadays

AK... I think they are working on a J&J booster, but it's not out yet to my knowledge. The CDC is saying you can also get the Moderna or the Phizer as a booster.

This taken from the Yale Medicine site:

If you had the J&J shot, can you get a booster of Pfizer or Moderna instead?

The CDC’s approval of the mix-and-match authorization follows a report of early data from a federal clinical trial suggested it might be better for J&J recipients to get an mRNA vaccine booster (from Pfizer or Moderna). The trial’s preliminary data showed that people who had gotten the J&J vaccine followed by a Moderna booster had a 76-fold rise in antibodies in 15 days; those who got Pfizer saw a 35-fold increase; while those who got the J&J booster had only a four-fold increase. That data was published in a preprint and has not yet undergone independent peer review.

Looks like receiving the Moderna as a booster is the most effective......But your doctor knows you best....

BTW.... my back pain is subsiding, still there this morning but better than yesterday.

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 11:27 - Edited by: gcrank1

Last I recently saw made me glad I had gone Phizer rather than the J&J I had originally been inclined to.
Iirc they said the efficacy of the J&J falls off to about 50% after 6mo while the P and M are about 80%?
The boosters pump it back up but then fall again, just like the seasonal flu shot.
And thus far Im not seeing convincing info that having once had C-19 one's natural immunity isnt at least as good, possibly better, than getting the booster.
Almost seems to me that the real 'growth industries' in this economy are C-19 related. That troubles me.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 11:57

Vaxx free, zero pains, no miocarditis, not clotting, no shingles, no bells palsy, no guilliam barre syndrome.

I use caution, ie hand sanitizer, mask and dont lick handrails etc. I even have 110, 12mg Ivermectin pills in case I get sick and a doctor wont prescribe them because they have been politicized.

I have been taking D3 with K2, doing 2000iu on the D3 plus a zinc pill, all over the counter and have not been sick at all in over 2 years.

I actually think I may have had covid in 2019, really sick, hard breathing.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 12:14

Thanks folks. I'm thinking that the modera booster. And that gets me the best of both worlds. I'm high risk and want to be careful. Our daughter who works on the slope n lives with us has come home with covid twice already. She won't get a shot. Symptoms of loss of taste n smell.
Hey I just lost another good friend. And admit this scares me. If I could I'd move to our cabin full time. But we, me, doesn't have to go to town except for dr apps n that's fine with me. We already have enough food put up again that we could put a loaf of bread in our freezers. Now I'm hearing whispers of another new freezer again. Probably going to get reminded about the black bear hide in the bottom that still needs to be tanned. Again. And we have 50 more rabbits to harvest.
Why I haven't tanned bear yet.
Hey anyhows thank you folks. This stuff kinda scares me

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 13:02 - Edited by: gcrank1

Used to be the 'seasonal flu' killed X number of folks each year. Once C-19 became the fear little to no mention of SF dealths, everything became C-19. If we minus the SF 'average deaths' from the C-19 figures C-19 deaths, which is actually quite low, it becomes even less 'deadly'. Not to minimize the deaths, or the illness, but many who are listed as 'died of C-19' had serious comorbidity; ie other serious health issues too. That leaves a very low 'otherwise healthy person deaths' as waayyy down on the list of things that kill us.
Imo, all the reasonable personal health precautions certainly have to help from getting lots of illnesses, probably many of us are doing so is a great thing.
Be aware, the CDC has already said the 'vax' cannot keep you from getting, or carrying and passing on, the C-19 virus. It can only perhaps lessen the symptoms.
I just cant get panic'ed about that. But I did get the 2 P shots. I am not inclined to get the booster at this point. We also are 'at some risk', pretty sure we had it last March, then got the 2 shots so should have some natural immunity now, but are going to see how this plays out over some time to decide on the booster.

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 13:40

Don't want this to turn into a debate, there are already enough opinions on the internet to suck the time out of a day if you follow links....

Just wanting to know how long to expect the muscle pain to last....

I can say it is less today than yesterday. I went out and cut some steel for the water trailer skis I'm building. Came back in to rest after about an hour. My back muscles are still pretty sore but at least I can bend over and straighten back up again today. Yesterday I was on the couch all day.

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Nov 2021 18:08

All this makes me still glad I didnt get any of them.

scott100
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 10:01

Not sure how long your effects would last. Couple of days maybe? We got the Pfizer shots last spring and got the Moderna booster a couple of weeks ago. No issues with any other than a bit of arm pain and feeling a little punky for a day or 2 only after the first Pfizer shot. No reaction to the Moderna booster.

We also recently got our yearly flu shot and shingles vaccine. That one (the shingles) made us feel sick for a couple of days and arm pain for several. My dad and sister had shingles, and the little reaction from that vaccine is well worth the benefits, in my opinion. How the Covid vaccine has become such a political football makes absolutely no sense to me. No desire to get really sick from Covid, any more than I want to get shingles or the flu, and if I can do my part to slow the spread of a virus that's killing people, I'm happy to do my part. Imagine if we politicized the smallpox vaccine back in the day? I have my arm scar from that one too.

bc thunder
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 10:49

My StepFather just died in hospital last week from shingles. He had poor health anyways,and was basicly a shutin, but the vaccine unfortunatly put him over the edge. No brain activity, heart stopped, DNR Doctors pulled the plug a few days ago.......

Nobadays
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 17:34

Thanks Scott... agree.... yeah I got shingles a few years ago (haven't got vaccinated but should) and luckily caught it really early and the prescribed medication ended the discomfort within a couple of days.... sure wouldn't have wanted that to have gotten worse!

My back is pretty much back to normal, just a hint of muscle pain now. So, muscle pain for me lasted about two to three days.

My wife had breakthrough covid this summer, delta variant, we saw firsthand how the vaccine helped keeping her from getting too bad. She has a history of common colds turning to bronchitis to pneumonia... more than once. We were 12 miles in backpacking across the South San Juan mts, when the cough and fatigue came on. This was to be 3.5 days/41 miles at over 11,000' and something like 6 passes over 12,000'. I took as much weight off her as I could and we finished in 4.5 days and by the end she was getting some of her energy back.... still a bad cough. Took her into the doc the day after we got out as she/the doc figured it was bronchitis, got meds AND A CALL the next morning saying she had tested positive to covid. Within a week she had it behind her. We are convinced from her propensity to have lung issues from colds that without being vaccinated we would have been needing a rescue from the wilderness.

All that said.... each to their own, for us a wise choice and worth a few days of discomfort.

Nobadays
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 17:34

Bc.... sorry for your loss.....

ICC
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 18:17

Nobadays, those San Juans are beautiful aren't they? I have spent many months of my life traipsing around them; hiking, flying and 4x4'ing with some fishing thrown in for good measure.

Were you on the CDT? (Continental Divide Trail for those who have not been there). Very happy to hear you both made it out on your own legs and that your wife came thru okay.

scott100
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 20:41

bc, also sorry to hear of your loss.

Nobadays, tell your wife she's an animal. 11000 ft healthy would be tough, sick really a challenge, and with covid and breathing issues...sheesh. Glad to hear she recovered quickly.

Nobadays
# Posted: 14 Nov 2021 23:35

ICC.... they are beautiful indeed! Wish my wife could have enjoyed it more. We have been working our way through the CT (Colorado Trail) so 380 of the 485 miles. That put of the CT shares the trail with the CDT. We pretty much only have from Spring Creek Pass above Lake City to Durango left to do.

Scott.... she chuckled! But yeah she is a pretty tough woman out on the trail. Her feet swelled on the first day of a 4 day hike across the Superstitions when we hiked the Arizona Trail. She fought hot spots that first day, blisters the second then wouldn't take her socks off for the next 2 days because her feet were bleeding! She finished the 50+ miles then nursed her feet back to health. She is fighting sciatic pain the last month or so... hard to watch.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.