Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Home Depot University
Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 21 May 2011 19:19

I am now attending classes (2 hours per week) at my local home depot. So far, we have had done framing, roofing, electrical, plumbing, have placed a new window and last week a front door. I love it. Am learning so much. I must say (sadly): it's the highlight of my week.
I was quite upset however in finding out that the exterior door that I want to open to the outside will cost me double the cost of a standard door that swings inward.....

bobrok
# Posted: 21 May 2011 20:28

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying and learning. My son and I attended a HD deck building seminar a few months ago and we were disappointed. The guy doing the seminar didn't seem as if he was putting his everything into it. Not faulting him, but he was demonstrating fastening techniques and was in such a hurry he was splitting boards left and right. The finished product looked awful. Joints weren't proper, railings were loose, etc.

The one saving grace of his demonstration, and proof that he actually knew what he was talking about, was when he tossed aside the pre-cut stringers and measured, cut and finished his own perfectly and in only about 15 minutes.

So he knew what he was doing but wasn't completely in the game I would say.

Glad to hear that is not standard operating proceedure for HD.

Borrego
# Posted: 21 May 2011 22:41

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
I was quite upset however in finding out that the exterior door that I want to open to the outside will cost me double the cost of a standard door that swings inward.....

Well, just get that same door and install it backwards, put in NRP hinges and you're set, I just did that. You can change the threshold if you want to, but it doesn't matter....

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 May 2011 14:02

I am now attending classes (2 hours per week) at my local home depot

Good job-----i know it you are enjoying it.

BTW ---i had a home depot crash course yesterday ----working on my new cabin......9 hours in the 95 degree HEAT.......i amost passed!!!!.............OUT!!!!!! LOL ;-).....it was sooooooooooo HOT!!!!!!!!!! 2 of us--- went through 1 1/2 cases of bottled water yesterday.

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 May 2011 16:20

I visited my local Home Depot Friday night...... the place was packed.... I picked up a few things to take up to the cabin on Saturday Morning ...... just me and my dogs for a few projects .
I asked for a bit of help loading the SUV...... I had a huge area rug that weighed a ton and a few boxes of heavy tile ......
They send this poor old grey haired man out to help me........... very scrawney little guy.
He looked like a heart patient too..... i felt so sorry for him.
I ended up doing all the lifting while listening to a "story" of his project he did years ago with the same type of tile........... lol . He was a cute little guy who complimented my good shape and lifting ability........
Little did he know i panted all the way home........... lolol. It was like something you would see on Candid Camera years ago.

Anyway, thats my Home Depot story this week........ i am a regular lately.

Gary O
# Posted: 22 May 2011 18:38

Quoting: naturelover66
They send this poor old grey haired man out to help me

Heyyyyyy!

Little did he know i panted all the way home

Too funny, '66.
Reminds me of the time I had a gaggle of youthful HD hands load my tiny trailer with several squares of comp roofing.
They were gassed by the time all was said and done. Then I drove out (about 200 yds) and realized it was about 3 times too heavy.
Of course they were visibly delighted to find that they had to unload the trailer within minutes of loading...........

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 May 2011 19:41

Yep, always an adventure at the Home Depot.
I cant wait to see what next visit will bring....

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 May 2011 20:49

always an adventure at the Home Depot

just left there a little while ago...........the "home DEPOSIT "ya know!!!!!

everyone in there is a EXPERT....at something :-)

i walked in the contracters EXIT and they have half the store closed while someone is moving a cube of lumber iwith a fork lift........LOL

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 24 May 2011 20:41

Back for sheathing and house wrap class tonight. Called short due to tornado watch. But still the best part of my week so far. I GOT TO USE POWER TOOLS: NAIL GUN!!!! Who need a hammer?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 May 2011 21:34

so any tips on house wrap????

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 25 May 2011 23:11

turkeyhunter,
Please read Martian's postings: his info was totally different than what was taught in this class (tyvex vs tarpaper). He has a great link with lots of great info. I have saved to favorites for future use when I actually start to build.
I must say that this forum has enabled me to actually ask semi-intelligent questions during the class and am growing more confident that I can now do this!
Now I must find power tools..... Fell head over heels with the air compressor and nail gun.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 18:30

Had class again this week. I helped hang drywall and completed first application of mud. Not a job I want to do alone.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 18:37

good job, when do graduate???? :-))

building is fun......

neb
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:25

I was quite upset however in finding out that the exterior door that I want to open to the outside will cost me double the cost of a standard door that swings inward

I had the same thing with the door. What I did is notch the wood out and moved the hinge over from insude to outside and worked just fine. I have seen this done before.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:41

Graduation not till August or Sept... Still lots to learn. Still have cabinets to hang. Commode to set and tiling the bathroom.

Just
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:45

I just put the brick molding on the inside worked good .u will need a anti pic plate on the lock or a dead bolt lock!!and rivit the hinges to keep out the bad ones !!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:47

Neb and Just,
Thanks for the info.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 21:44

Tonight we installed bathroom cabinet and commode...... I need to bring some of this tech. into my 1950's home!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 07:56

Tonight we installed bathroom cabinet and commode

it will come in real handy when you build that cabin........ what's the next class???

RobMan
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 12:41

So I know your course probably doesn't cover this, but this is the closest thread I can find to the topic.

Our cabin has a generator that we run occasionally - mostly when we're out there for weeks at a time and have no desire to head back to the city for anything. (SO nice to be able to do that haha).

We have a gas stove too that we were using daily until it recently s*&t the bed. Does anyone have experience repairing their gas stoves? I'm not sure what the issue is, but getting someone out there to fix it would be really costly.

I'm hoping to be able to buy the parts myself and hoping the repair won't be that tough. I've found the line I need at this website http://www.partselect.com - does anyone have an experience with them either?

The stove is 10+ years old and not under any warranty and to be honest, I don't even know where it came from. My wife's parent's donated it to us and have both since passed.

Any help, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated - even if it's just, throw the damn thing out and start over.

thanks

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 9 Sep 2011 17:38

No, nothing like that was covered. I would worry too much about starting a repair simply because of the hazards of gas leak.

RobMan
# Posted: 6 Oct 2011 09:30

Sorry for the delay, I didn't realize I'd received a response.

The concern over a gas leak did lead me to hire someone to fix it. It cost me an arm and a leg but I guess it was worth it for the peace of mind.

I did end up ordering the part from that site though, so that saved me at least a few bucks,

exsailor
# Posted: 6 Oct 2011 09:57

Erins#1 Mom,
Why don't you build your front door. Thick tongue and groove set vertical and braced with a Z brace, or a horizontal board top and bottom then you can a window in. It is sturdy, heavy and will take a bit to get through. The benefit is the rustic look as well! Just a thought and it is cost effective, as well as functional.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.