Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Snow clearing insurance hikes
KinAlberta
# Posted: 29 Dec 2021 13:29 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Have recently heard of massive insurance increases and so reduced snow clearing because of people galling then suing.

Wish the media would tell people that if they live in a winter city, winter region, they should dress accordingly. (Radio hosts regularly tell people to drive slow when winter arrives.)

In one interview i heard a guy with a snow clearing company was bared by his insurance company from even voluntarily clearing neighbouring seniors’ properties - which he used to do for them in an Ontario lake district. (Insurance rates are being hiked from say $7-8,000 to $50-60,000 CDN.)

Ontario snow removal companies forced to hike prices or shut down amid 6-figure insurance rates

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontario-snow-removal-companies-forced-090000515.html

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Dec 2021 15:30

I know any type of commercial snow removal here is a big premium that must be prepaid prior to the season. The commercial customers pay monthly here, snow or no snow.

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Dec 2021 17:01

I hate this stuff. It's canada. There is going to be snow and ice in the winter. Its not someone else's fault if you slip and fall on it. If you can't handle the risk, stay inside on those winter days.

It is impossible for anyone to keep there property free from ice and snow 100% of the time.

But we live in an age where nobody is responsible for themselves anymore.

paulz
# Posted: 29 Dec 2021 17:59

Quoting: KinAlberta
Have recently heard of massive insurance increases and so reduced snow clearing because of people galling then suing.

You mean falling I guess. So they clear the snow, people go out and fall and sue the company that cleared the snow?

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Dec 2021 07:31

Phecking insurance companies are only reacting to the Feckless Lawyers who will sue at the drop of a hat because some stupid can't be personally responsible for themselves. Even worse are the obese Judges who would never touch a shovel or brush render decisions in favour of the stupid...

On the FLIPSIDE though, over the years I have seen some SnowPlow Drivers run them like Abrams Tanks and trashing stuff in the way of their clearing... So there is some legitimate issues which the Insurance Companies have to deal with and this is one of those with Insane Rates.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 31 Dec 2021 20:46 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Paulz, thanks for the correction.

Here’s a good article on the situation:

Calgary's snow-removal contractors face skyrocketing insurance rates
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/snow-removal-insurance-1.6247413

Also interesting:

5 out of 6 winter boots fail slip test on ice, Marketplace finds | CBC News

“ Li is the brains behind the Rate My Treads website, and her lab tests hundreds of winter boots. For that protocol, every set of boots is tested with four different participants, who walk inside the chamber on both wet and cold, dry ice. The lab looks at the results of all four rounds of testing and gives an overall rating based on the lowest score achieved for a particular boot. ”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-boot-test-1.6252613

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.