Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Making money off your solar?
KinAlberta
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 17:03 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Thought this article below was interesting.

Could cabins with solar systems have money making value while they are unoccupied?

Not that I consider bitcoin as real or permanently useful money a guy here apparently made upwards of $800/mo. (Free electricity helps):

Tesla owner mines bitcoin, ethereum with his car

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/08/tesla-owner-mines-bitcoin-ethereum-with-his-car.html

Just found this:

Tiny house heated by bitcoin mining at a profit - Curbed
https://archive.curbed.com/2017/11/9/16619032/bitcoin-mining-heat-homes-siberia-russi a

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 18:01

I wonder what year his break even is on the hardware that will depreciate greatly.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 19:45

To 'sell' at basement wholesale prices per kW which they only credit back for your use. So how does that work for a mostly vacant cabin with low usage?

paulz
# Posted: 9 Jan 2022 09:40

Only way I'll make money off my solar is if it burns the cabin down and insurance covers it.

Would be neat though if once the battery bank gets topped up while I'm away there was a way to use the extra juice.

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2022 14:46 - Edited by: gcrank1

I think over at Diysolarforum.com they have threads on 'diversion loads'. I have only casually looked at such since for me it does not apply, but I think its along the lines of dumping to a pre-heater for the water heater? Maybe for cooler weather a battery bank warmer? Stuff like that.....
Fwiw and ime, insurance companies view their job is to find ways to deny claims. ANY diy, none UL, non-approved and un-inspected solar-elec system, even if not the cause of fire, may be reason for a claim denial.
Look at what has happened with wood stoves.

ICC
# Posted: 9 Jan 2022 15:39 - Edited by: ICC

I believe diversion loads are only be applicable when using wind power. Also called dump loads. Because with solar panels it does not harm the panel to just stop using the power from the panel when the battery is full. But with wind, if the wind is still blowing and the battery is full the current from the turbine has to go someplace or the turbine generator will likely overheat and go up in smoke. So, wind requires a charge controller that can "do" diversion loads. That is one reason why some charge controllers may be called solar charge controllers. They do not have the diversion ability built in.

Wind users usually do dump the excess into heat; either heating air or water, sometimes simply "burning" up the energy and letting it heat the atmosphere.

Years ago I thought there must be something I could do with the un-needed, or excess solar power. After much research, talking to a few people who have been in the alternative power business in my state for many years, I came to the conclusion there were too many potential problems to bother.

If you are lucky enough to be in a situation where your batteries get fully recharged on a normal day, just be happy your solar produces all the power you need and call it a day.

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2022 17:50

Our frugal nature/obsession is that we hate to 'waste' a free commodity. Sit by a flowing river and think what a waste there isnt a mill/gen plant here....instead of enjoying the river just doing what a river does.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2022 18:29

I know Hawaii for example does not allow you to pipe back on the grid. So you'd have to use it

paulz
# Posted: 10 Jan 2022 09:30

Quoting: ICC
If you are lucky enough to be in a situation where your batteries get fully recharged on a normal day, just be happy your solar produces all the power you need and call it a day.

That works for me. But just for the sake of argument..

What about a voltage triggered switch, so that when the batteries reach a set voltage, it turns on say a heater. Keep the room warm, and, if it's better to keep LFPs at less than 100% SOC, do that too.

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Jan 2022 11:04

My understanding is that it is far better to keep LFP soc from going too low rather than reaching toward 100% and that discharge at low draw at below freezing is Ok, just dont charge.
Adding a heater to bat bank or room they are in sounds good but is another level of complexity and potential failure; all is well until the heater doesnt heat, bat temps drop below freezing and are charging.
Yeah, a low-temp cutoff (in bms?) should save you. Should.....
With FLA its so easy, just accept that when cold ya lose 1/2 your ah's.
Will any btu heating from 'excess solar' be lost in non-solar hours to have been ineffectual?

paulz
# Posted: 10 Jan 2022 14:08

My cabin never goes to freezing, 36 is about it, and that's when the sun is down and no charging, so I never have to disconnect my solar when not there. I do shut off all battery output, so yeah I would have the potential of the swatch, heater, light or whatever was hooked up to it malfunctioning. And I don't really have the need for either of those. But I think there are those who have to heat their battery rooms, or turn off their solar to avoid freeze charging damage.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.