Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Home Depot
paulz
# Posted: 13 Feb 2022 11:17

Big changes seem to be afoot at Hope Depot. Many employees, not just the one you might find picking his nose in a corner, who doesn't know a nail from a screw, or where they are. Some genuinely helpful floor staff last time I was in there. It's in the news..

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/home-depot-stepping-up-spring-hiring -100000-workers-2022-02-01/

So is this more typical example of a Home Depot employee, lol.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/home-depot-worker-locked-in-tiktok/

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Feb 2022 16:00

My local HD has just been your normal retail worker in there for years now. Seams like they have a very high turn over rate..that's prob why they need to hire 100k people each year.

ICC
# Posted: 13 Feb 2022 17:05

Every spring HD, Lowe's, etc all hire lots of help because sales of some products sure greatly. Plants, gardening supplies and tools, outdoor furniture all jump in sales and that needs more help. Many of those will be temporary, or part-time.

The HD and Lowe's nearest me both have a number of people who have been with the companies for years. Both have people who are very helpful and knowledgeable. Both also have people who should not be working retail; any retail IMO because of their attitude. Those don't seem to last long. But that can happen in any business, big or small.

I think it helps to pass kudos along to management along with criticisms. I do that.

lburners
# Posted: 13 Feb 2022 17:34

Record profits in 2021. Guessing they are getting a cut out of all those higher prices.

Curly
# Posted: 13 Feb 2022 23:13

You may want to try the Home Depot App. Select the store you shop at. Look on your phone for the item you want. Select the item and in the item description will be the location of the item in the store (aisle number, and bay number). It's usually accurate, but not always. This beats trying to find an employee who doesn't know where the item is and who may only help you hunt for it because they have no clue. Lowes may have an app, too.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Feb 2022 08:44 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I like Home Depot, been using them for years. They do have a turnover, lots of pressure from those at checkout to get you into a credit card. I dont need help from the floor guys, I always tell them I probably know my way around this store better than you do.

Sometimes they ask me if I found what I need and I reply, yes and I have found stuff I dont need too.

Just stopped in yesterday to buy 3 batteries, 2 for my RAM diesel truck and one for my grandsons car. Their battery price on the group 94R was better than wal mart or costco. Spent 450 for 3 batteries, next weekend, bring in 3 cores, get 36 of it back.

ICC
# Posted: 14 Feb 2022 08:56

Quoting: Curly
try the Home Depot App

Lowes has an app too. Who doesn't? They both work well enough. I still like a webpage better for some things as I can keep more than one tab open with something to compare.

How about ordering online for in-store pickup? Does anyone do that?

paulz
# Posted: 14 Feb 2022 09:08

Quoting: ICC
How about ordering online for in-store pickup? Does anyone do that?

Yep, I'm waiting for 300' of PE pipe from Tractor Supply right now, $150, free ship to store. HD and Lowes had only 100' rolls at about $80 per and I'm not in a hurry.

I don't use the apps but the Lowe's web site seems to work better than HD's for me.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 Feb 2022 10:02

When I lived in Florida, I was spoiled. The big box hardware stores had a lot of retired carpenters, plumbers, handymen, etc. that worked there AND knew what they were talking about. Great advice, and they knew what you'd need. I had a favorite guy who used to catch me coming in the door and he'd ask about my current project, offering good suggestions. Then I moved to Ohio...

paulz
# Posted: 14 Feb 2022 10:14

I was going to say the same thing SE, demographics play a large role in the knowledge base. Also true in automotive retail.

BRADISH
# Posted: 14 Feb 2022 19:00

The absolute quickest way to find help in a home Depot is to grab one of those tall rolling ladders and start moving it around. I swear multiple employees will come from nowhere running to you.

They're never as happy when I tell them that I moved it so they would come, but by then they're stuck with me!

paulz
# Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:04

HA, that's pretty good. Just last week I was in getting some couplings, bin was empty, full box on the third tier. Found an old guy who wheeled over one of those ladders, then looked at me and quipped "I'm too old for this". I offered to go up, which prodded him into doing it. Was kind of dicey though, going down with both arms holding the box. When he got down I joked "Oh those are the wrong ones".

paulz
# Posted: 30 Apr 2022 08:51

Went to HD yesterday for some poly pipe fittings, they actually had less than my local Ace. Anyway, again there were lots of employees walking around, one even asked it I needed help! On my way in a guy was loading lumber on his truck, actually there were a lot of lumber sales going on. I asked him how the prices were, he said a little better. I didn't really check inside but I did see studs were 6 bucks.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 30 Apr 2022 11:30

I know that I'm glad to have them around. I believe that I find better prices at HD. But maybe just more familiar with them. The employees stay a long time n very knowledgeable. I don't expect a hardware store employees to be experts in the respective departments they are in. Although they seem to try to get folks with working knowledge.
I'm using there web shopping cart now as I am planning our new retirement home. It keeps track of the account and I can identify where all my lumber will and costs.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.