Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Vision Correction
paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 09:48

I've been thinking about laser eye surgery, apparently too long, about 15 years too long, as they say not worth if for over 50 year olds. The geezer option is Refractive Lens Exchange, where the natural lens is replaced with an artificial lens.

Anyone done it, know someone, researched?

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 10:55

They do similar with cataract surgery dont they? All the time, quick and easy outpatient deal. My wife had both done some months apart, results great, only a couple days of sorta down-time at home (no driving, etc).

ICC
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 11:51

Modern cataract surgery is not a big deal anymore. Both my eyes were done something like 10 years ago. It has been a real treat to not require eyeglasses for most things. I was extremely nearsighted.

I think if you needed bifocals, or trifocals as I did, before the surgery you may have to choose between having BOTH eyes set for distance or set for close, reading sort of thing. OR one eye can be set for distant and the other for close. Most people's brains can handle the switching . I was uncertain about that part so elected for both eyes distant and I use reading glasses for close work. It can be a bit of a nuisance. I have a few different powers; 2.5 for normal reading, 4 for some close-up detail work and a pair of 6 power for really small stuff like the tiny SMD electronic part that are used today.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 11:58

Quoting: gcrank1
They do similar with cataract surgery dont they?

Yes I think, maybe the same procedure. I don't have cataracts that I know of, just tired of glasses. i too alternate between 2-4 for reading and working on small parts. Can't see worth a darn far away either but that's less of a problem since I rarely look ahead.

Mostly just like to read the computer screen easily.
Probably out of pocket, doubt Medicare covers it.

Thanks guys.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 12:17

I would happily trade my near-sighteness for far and only have to use glasses for close work!

ICC
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 12:47

It is great. The most amazing thing to me after the cataract surgery was to open my eyes first thing the next morning, walk out the door and realize that for the first time in years the pine trees actually did have individual needles, not just green blurry things. And the fact that the sand-in-your-eyes post-op feeling had gone away overnight.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 12:52 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: paulz
Probably out of pocket, doubt Medicare covers it.

Cataracts are covered, both eyes the same; distance or close. For some reason, I was told that MC would not cover dist+close. Government, go figure. My dentist did both set for close as that made his work easier. He has to wear glasses to drive.

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 14:26

I've had both eyes done for cataracts.... caused by trauma, sparks from being part of the ground path of a 7,200 volt power line. One eye done within months of the accident is for distance. The other eye done a few years later when that eye finally clouded over is close-up. Actually not what I wanted but the second was done in Thailand and either a communication problem or more likely a "Doctor knows best" issue. Not happy at first but within a week or so I grew used to it and it's great. No need for readers unless I'm doing a lot of screen time.

The first procedure was old school incision, the second was done with the new procedure where the lens is injected into the eye (rolled up and expands in place.)

As ICC said, by the next day it's like nothing was ever done, except now pine trees have needles!

I do need to go get them checked though... I feel the eye I had done in 1991 is clouding a bit.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Feb 2022 16:40

Guess I'll look at getting me some cataracts!

spencerin
# Posted: 21 Mar 2023 22:49

I'm nearsighted as well. I bet I got y'all beat - negative 12.0 contact prescription in both eyes. I'm tired of wearing contacts and would go back to glasses if the lenses weren't too thick and the glasses too heavy. LASIK won't work for me, so I believe my only option is implantable lenses. But, I know of an individual who did both eyes with implantable lenses - one turned out fine, the other not quite as good. I have healthy eyes otherwise so it'd be all out of pocket, and I don't want to spend that much money for an "elective" procedure that may not fix it 100%.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 30 Mar 2023 10:34

Spencerin,

I'm 59 and just went through surgery to repair a torn retina. The cause, they say, is the extensive nearsighted issue. They say that is what weakened the retina. It became stretched and thinned. I had only -4.25 correction. So, I'm saying take care and if you have any sudden changes (mine was a large blurry floater-part of the retina) that tipped me off. I went right away for an exam and was lucky they caught it. They immediately rushed me to a surgeon and he shot a laser to seal the edges. It took 450 shots of the laser to seal up the edges (like cauterizing). They say, had it not been caught right away, I'd have lost my sight in that eye. This just happened four weeks ago. Take care.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Mar 2023 10:51

Glad ya got that in time, Tim

rpe
# Posted: 31 Mar 2023 17:32 - Edited by: rpe

I can't comment on the lens exchange surgery you mention, but I had Lasik done about 10 yrs ago (mid-40's), and wish I'd done it much earlier. I was quite near-sighted prior, and ended up with perfect near vision after for several years. As I've aged, I now need readers unless lighting is very good. Dimly lit restaurants are the worst!

The big advantages for me are motorsports (no fiddling with glasses in the helmet), and swimming. A drawback is that I'd become used to being somewhat lax with safety glasses due to already wearing prescription glasses prior to Lasik. Since that time, I've relied on 'safety squints' more than I care to admit.

Tim: That sounds like quite a scare. Glad you got it sorted.

DaveBell
# Posted: 31 Mar 2023 18:40

I just had Cataract surgery done two days ago at the VA on my right eye. Ditto the pine needles. And they are green too. My main problem was night driving. I can see now. Pollen is killing me.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 31 Mar 2023 22:06

Quoting: DaveBell
Pollen is killing me.
If you get red, itchy eyes from pollen try Pataday eye drops. When my eye allergies act up I use the maximum strength 24hr version and it works great. When I get blurred vision from dry eye or eye strain I use Systane complete PF drops and my eyes really thank me. I was lucky and had Lasik done to correct for astigmatism almost 20 yrs ago and it has held my vision at 20/20 since.

DaveBell
# Posted: 1 Apr 2023 02:02

Thanks MPF. My main problem is stuffed head and nasal draining makes coughing non stop. Eye surgeon gave me Neo-Synephrine for nose and benadryl in IV. I have had success with benadryl. Headed to Walmart for the Neo-Synephrine. I told him that I used to take Sudafed and it dried me right up but no more. He told me that they changed the drug because of the dope heads making meth out of it. Another case of a few asshats fu&king things up for the rest of us.

old243
# Posted: 2 Apr 2023 09:06

i had cataract surgury done a couple of months ago. They installed trifocal lenses, long med and close up correction , in one . I had wore glasses for 40 years. haven't needed them since. After about a week after operation the tested my reading , claimed it was 20-20. Ontario ohip covers a standard implant, this was 6100 dollars. Seems a lot but what is good sight worth to you. Done at a private clinic in Oakville Ontario. So far I am really happy, looking forward to being able to hunt deer this fall , and target shoot. old243

spencerin
# Posted: 5 Apr 2023 21:36 - Edited by: spencerin

Good reminder, Tim_Ohio. I've been told that many times before but have forgotten because the eye drs always tell me everything looks good, including the retinas. Glad you got yours fixed in time.

rpe, "safety squints" made me laugh. Guilty.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.