Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Decent AM/FM Radios (with good reception)
Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Apr 2022 15:20

Good Day Everyone.

I have been searching for a respectable Radio/Stereo for a couple of years now, there is not much out there left that is not Bluetooth / Web Enabled blah blah. I have spent well over $500 in 3 years and all I got was low level junk... They either died within a couple of months or could not pickup stations (at all) or the switches failed (junk)...

I finally bit the bullet after great pondering and bought a DeWalt Jobsite Radio DCR028B.
This takes the std 12/20/flex batteries but no charger (the model with that is an extra $50) and 120V plugin.

I have to say I am IMPRESSED !
* Build Quality as expected is very good & quite tough (as it should be).
* Functions and ease of use is great.
* The sound Quality is Really Quite GOOD ! and Holy Macaroni it can pump out the tune LOUD too !

Now I bought the DeWalt as I am loaded with DeWalt 20V Tools and figured it only made good sense. I would imagine that the other "Tool Branded" Radios from Ryobi, Milwakee etc are likely fairly decent as well, so if Anyone has those please chime in.

Hope it helps anyone looking for decent Tunage.
Steve

Nate R
# Posted: 14 Apr 2022 15:58

Nice!

I use this: https://ccrane.com/products/ccradio-2e-enhanced-am-fm-noaa-weather-2-meter-ham-band-p ortable-radio.html

I've had that for probably 10 years now...not as tough as the jobsite radios, but good sound quality, auxillary input via cables, good reception, runs on 4 D batteries (i use a rechargeable set), and can pick up weather, too.

BRADISH
# Posted: 14 Apr 2022 17:26

Also bought the Dewalt DCR028. Haven't had a ton of time with it, but I am pretty happy with it so far! Wish it had a good place to store the cord onboard as the point is to take it with me often. They could have cut down on the bulk of it a bit with a smaller exo-skeleton, but overall I'm happy.

NorthRick
# Posted: 14 Apr 2022 17:36

What's the Dewalt like as far as picking up a faint signal? That's been my issue. We are at the very edge of being able to pick up signals from radio stations we like to listen to. Some days we can, some days we can't.

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 Apr 2022 21:10

Rick, what is between you and the transmission site? Any mountains, trees, power transformers? A friend of mine has his antenna on a 50' tall metal tower. Get a 7 min or 15 min topo map from USGS and locate radio sources and your cabin. Don't guess, start engineering.

paulz
# Posted: 14 Apr 2022 21:58 - Edited by: paulz

Fmfool.com has a signal locator as well. Tvfool has one for OTA TV

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Apr 2022 08:51

I have one of these tecsun radios. Dialing in a channel is prety easy but how it workes in your location idk. They do offer a remote extended antenna. Granted your not going to be jamming out with this little single speaker radio.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-Radio-PL-380-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B0035X1EC2/ref=sr_1_1_s spa?crid=12XRVNP3VFCMH&keywords=tecsun&qid=1650026797&sprefix=tecsun%2Caps%2C302&sr=8 -1-spons&psc=1&smid=A30XUXYCRBQBHW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNEo3V0JUVEpIN0JIJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDAyMTE3MzI4Q1dDRDNQMUpINiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjk1MzQ5MzY0UE9KRU NNU0s4NiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU =

On the complete other end of the portable radio spectrum I have a JBL flip4 that's got bluetooth, its water proof and can connect to other JBL radios and sounds amazing. I have had ti connected to 2 other JBL flip 4 speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B078WZ2NB6/r ef=sr_1_3?crid=1Y9X30NXWS70I&keywords=Jbl+flip4&qid=1650027031&sprefix=jbl+clip4%2Cap s%2C431&sr=8-3

gcrank1
# Posted: 15 Apr 2022 09:16

My two best radios are am/fm largish portables from the 1970s; one a Panasonic, other a GE.

paulz
# Posted: 15 Apr 2022 14:32 - Edited by: paulz

I had the Ccrane mentioned above. Fell off a shelf in the shop, history. Worked OK put still lots of static.

The two FM stations I was getting are now streaming. I have an old 3G cell phone, no cell service but it still connects to the Wifi, has a browser and plays those stations. No in and out, no static..

SE Ohio
# Posted: 16 Apr 2022 16:59

For fringe reception, an outdoor antenna up high does great. If your radio doesn’t have an antenna Jack, just place the antenna lead close to it, or even wrap it around it. Google “long wire antenna” for designs and safety tips. I disconnect my antenna when not in use.

SE Ohio

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Mar 2024 08:09

I just bought a nice Dewalt AM FM radio, runs on shore power or a dewalt battery. Has 6 memories for AM and 6 for FM. I'll see how well it works at the cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.