Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Hello (again)
MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Aug 2022 17:02

Hello, I haven't been here for a long time, maybe nobody recognizes my User ID? Interests change, though we still have a cabin in the woods which I love, it has lost its position as my main passion in life

It is by extremely good fortune and I like to think also due to our hard work over a number of years, that we do still have a standing cabin and not a pile of ashes and debris like some neighbors. But that is a long and varied story.

Be smart and give as much, or more, thought to wildfire danger and what to do to help prevent disaster. There is much information about being firewise available online.

We do still have 60 to 100 tall wonderfully green pines around the cabin site. We also have trees that were either killed, burnt black, and many others that were toasted brown and also dead. However, the wind-driven fire lost intensity the closer it got to the cabin and found less fuel.

Anyhow that is not the main intent of my posting today. A couple of neighbors and ourselves have contracted with a logger to remove burned and dead trees. The dead timber will be used for timbers, beams, and lumber with some used for manufacturing wood pellets for stoves. Some trees are being laid across slopes with the idea of helping to slow erosion.

I get to watch the machines work. They are quite cool to watch even if one is not a machine and hardware nut like I am.

So with that in mind, I am posting a link to some videos of a feller-buncher working its way into our property from the neighbor to the east.

First video. When that video ends, Youtube should advance to the next. Seven in total. If not here's a link to the series index page.

Index

gcrank1
# Posted: 13 Aug 2022 17:37 - Edited by: gcrank1

Hi Don, Yeah, a voice from the past!
Always enjoyed your thoughtful posts.
With all the fire reports Ive fretted about our fellow cabineers in harm's way. And been more conscious and aware that we have to keep kicking things back and clearing the deadfalls......the work never ends.

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Aug 2022 19:43

Good to hear from you MtnDon and glad to hear your place is still standing.
Wildfire preparedness is getting higher and higher on my list ever year as the train tracks 2 miles from me seem to start fires ever spring. I’ve called in 2 fires not far from me the last 2 years. Luckily we have had some rain and things are back under control

Anyway thanks for the video and nice of you to check in

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 9 Sep 2022 22:13

Welcome back, MtnDon

NorthRick
# Posted: 10 Sep 2022 12:33

I didn't see the original post until now. That's crazy how he has one or more trees standing upright in the claws and then opens them up and grabs another tree real fast before the others start fall over.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.