Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Hearing Aids now OTC
<< . 1 . 2 .
scott100
# Posted: 20 Oct 2022 20:07

It will be interesting to see how these OTC hearing aids will play out. I'm sure it will be a game changer for those that can't afford to go the usual route and don't have insurance coverage to help.

For me, when it was time, I had an audiologist test my hearing, heard their plug for the $6k pair, and ordered mine online from Audicus. They are high end hearing aids programmed for my hearing loss. They have bluetooth connectivity, are rechargeable, and have multiple programs to fine tune things for different situations. All for around $2.2k. Also, my insurance covered the whole shot (it wouldn't have covered more than 3k for the others). Great customer support, though they have to be sent in for any issues or program tweaks. Had 1 program tweak done initially but have had no issues for more than 2 years.

So the OTC thing is new, but ordering standard hearing aids online has been an option for quite a while now. Costco is another good option. Of course, if you have some hearing problem other than common hearing loss your best bet would be a local audiologist and spending the big bucks.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Oct 2022 20:40

Quoting: scott100
It will be interesting to see how these OTC hearing aids will play out. I'm sure it will be a game changer for those that can't afford to go the usual route and don't have insurance coverage to help.

For me, when it was time, I had an audiologist test my hearing, heard their plug for the $6k pair, and ordered mine online from Audicus.

Probly going to be a game changer for the audiologists too, trying to figure out how to cope with the loss of business.

I looked up the place that did my hearing test on Yelp, half a dozen great ones, then this one:

I was given two hearing aids to test: The price was steep..for me..$3200. I came home to think it over. While doing so, I researched information on Oticon and price checked it from other centers. Here is where it all went south.
I discovered that the Oticon has three "performance levels". I was not told this during my appointment. Next, I uncovered the prices and quality of the three different levels. All literature indicates a substantial difference in quality between the number 1 level and the number 3 level. Now it gets worse.

I had been quoted the very least expensive Oticon, the level 3, during my appointment. However, and this is crucial, the Oticon placed in my ears to sell me the aid were level 1..the best. At no time did he explain to me the different levels or the different prices, or different qualities. The result: I left believing I had been given an accurate price for the Oticon he had used during my appointment. There was every opportunity for him to explain the three levels and tell me that the one I picked was actually closer to $6700.00! About twice as much as the level 3!
So, to sum it up, I was sold by trying the very best Oticon, but quoted a price for the lowest level Oticon which is what I would have been given if I purchased it for the price quoted. Without my own research, I would not have known why the aids that I paid $3200. for did not function like the ones I used on me in the demonstration.
Furthermore, after I contacted the office about this, they said there was not much difference...This is not true at all according to the literature.

This is an example of Bait and Switch sales..buyer beware!

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Oct 2022 21:42

That is the very thing I (we?) have too often come to expect....or should at least be wary of.
Good Info!
I do like a heads up to get an idea what questions to ask.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.