Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Mountain Don
cman47c
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 12:54

Just wondering if the forest fires are in your area. Hope your place is OK.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 18:40

The big fires are quite distant. The small ones don't get much press even locally, but they've been stamped out quick. Lots of a$$holes driving around though. Burnt spots (2 places) along the highway to the mtns. I'd be happy if they closed the forest; I got a key. Thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 15:36

Well I got my wish about the forest being locked down to keep out the idiots who toss cigarette butts out where they shouldn't, etc. But two days later a power line went down and sparked a fire that many of you likely have heard about. The Los Conchas fire started Sunday in early afternoon and within 14 hours blew up to a 44,000 acre uncontrolled wildfire.

The fire ignition point was about 1.7 miles from our cabin, to the NE of us. Fortunately for us the predominant winds are from the S, SW or SE and the fire mostly burned away from us. So far the closest point of the fire is 1.3 miles from us. Unfortunately about 30 homes and cabins have burned a few miles to the east and the fire threatens Los Alamos, NM about 15 miles to the ENE, where 12,000 have mostly been evacuated.
las conchos fire as of 6/28 3 AM
las conchos fire as of 6/28 3 AM

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 15:40

I was at the cabin when the fire ignited. Lots of overhead air traffic alerted me that something was up. It was the forest service spotter planes. I saw bug smoke off to the east. It did appear very close, but blowing away.

I decided to leave Tuesday 3:30 AM when the wind shifted for a time and bad smoke was rolling over our ridge. The closeness was too uncomfortable. We've done all we can to thin and clear ground debris so even if the winds go awry hopefully we'll be okay.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2011 16:48

Quoting: MtnDon
We've done all we can to thin and clear ground debris so even if the winds go awry hopefully we'll be okay.

prayers for you and all your neighbors, i hope you all make it though this fire with no damage. Like you said you have done all you could do. Hopefully it will be put OUT soon.

MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 01:25

Fire has eaten 130,000+ acres but never came any further west. Fire came to within 1.3 miles of our property though.

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Jul 2011 10:55

So glad youre okay........ Very upseting situation down there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.