Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Happy Winter Solstice
Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 16:38

Happy Winter Solstice Everyone, the days are now getting longer and we're headed towards spring !

FishHog
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 18:05

yeah

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 19:21

Yes Sir!, been waiting for this day
Unlike most years though we actually have a major winter storm coming in tonight on the Solstice; calm snow (light & fluffy because its so cold), then winds to white-out and a deep dive in temps for days. Time to hunker down, Winter is here, for sure and certain.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 20:38

The daylight hours may be getting longer but it will still be getting colder for a couple of months. That is why today is also called the first day of winter. It takes a while for the heat gain to surpass the heat loss, in the northern hemisphere.

FishHog
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 07:51

Quoting: ICC
The daylight hours may be getting longer but it will still be getting colder for a couple of months. That is why today is also called the first day of winter. It takes a while for the heat gain to surpass the heat loss, in the northern hemisphere.

Always one downer in the bunch

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 08:18

I will not see the sun for another 22 days. But it’s coming back!

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 09:53

Thank You. Winter started a long time ago here. -20, 4' of snow. Couple bull moose in the yard that won't leave. I embrace winter n enjoy getting out. Snogos bonfire smores ice fishing. Sledding. Shoveling roofs. Yeah it's OK has to happen so turn the tunes on. Our meat rabbits are doing great. We have 3 new ones this year that haven't made a winter yet. They need to prove up. Was joking with my beautiful wife that we will be able to ride the snogos over the top of the outbuildings. Northern lights are trying to get out n put on a dancing show for the world. For me it's another great day. Gotta go get a turbo heater n battery charger on the backhoe and get things cleaned up. I have a 4x4 I'm using. Nothing less would touch it. And I'll have 20 hours of clearing.
I love it, Merry Christmas
Merry
Merry
Christmas
Christmas

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 10:30

After 5 hours of snowblowing yesterday I'm ready for this crud to disappear already. The start of winter is always gloomier (overcast & dim) which gives way to clearer but colder days before we start to warm up again... At least the Solar System likes the cold and the reflected light from the snow pushes production up a bit too...

Considering that just a few short months ago, I wasn't even sure I'd get to see snow, let alone still being in my cabin, so what can I complain about.

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 23:13 - Edited by: darz5150

Midwest. 10 pm
IMG_20221222_2202088.jpg
IMG_20221222_2202088.jpg

jsahara24
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 23:24

Looks nice and toasty in the house!

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 23:25

I think it might be getting colder tonite. 🤔🤯
IMG_20221222_2223117.jpg
IMG_20221222_2223117.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 23:32

Quoting: jsahara24
Looks nice and toasty in the house!

Yep. Very toasty. One thing I've learned living semi off grid. It's easier preventing things from freezing up, than thawing and repairing them.

darz5150
# Posted: 22 Dec 2022 23:43

I have a hack that someone might find useful.
I have an LP regulator on 100# tanks for the shop that tend to freeze up somewhat when the temps get below 20° F.
I took a 6 foot string of cheap DG Christmas lights. And wrapped them around the regulator, with an old wool sock . The regulator hasn't froze up or throttled down since I did that.
Might be a helpful and cheap fix/hack. Especially if you don't have or can't get heat tape in a pinch.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 23 Dec 2022 09:25

Popular around here was to hang a light bulb over the regular. Got the backhoe started. Has bad block heater so have to keep it running. Minus 5 to minus 20. Have 12 hrs plowing in and need another 10. Before the next storm. Sitting here now babysitting the generator as the power is out. Schools still closed. We're fine n enjoying life

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.