Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Fasteners - torx vs triple square vs…
KinAlberta
# Posted: 23 Jan 2023 16:32 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Here’s a few pretty good youtube videos on some differences:

COMPARING—triple square—poly drive—torx star— (volkswagen audi fasteners)
https://youtu.be/xNapbqmiYRA

••hex/allen••triple square••torx/star••poly drive
https://youtu.be/lNl8TVYbKKs

Mentions John Deer tractors:

Check out the AWESOME power of the MAC RBRT Triple Square Bit!
https://youtu.be/R94vW6robdI

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:01

As a mechanic I hate everything but hex bolts. Recessed fasteners heads just dont work great in the real world.

But for wood screws torx is the only way. Philip's is a thing of the past and cant withstand the power of modern drivers.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 24 Jan 2023 06:35

Quoting: Brettny

But for wood screws torx is the only way. Philip's is a thing of the past and cant withstand the power of modern drivers

I agree. I am glad the industry has sort of settled on the torx. There was a period where square drive was popular and I think they are almost as bad as philips and the heads just don’t look nice

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 25 Jan 2023 05:48

Nothing like a phillips#2 bit in your thumb. Lol. I won’t buy screws anymore that AREN’T torx!!!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 27 Jan 2023 21:29 - Edited by: KinAlberta

A bit of history in the article below.

Eg. Torx has been around since 1967. Wow!

What is The Best Screw Drive?

https://www.accu.co.uk/p/110-what-is-the-best-screw-drive

Torx screws vs Robertson screws -- First Impressions (WnW #53)
https://youtu.be/PMXOTRVYNiw

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jan 2023 00:16

But wait, there is more.

Spider Drive.

I have some Headlock® fasteners, they are designed with a pan head for flushing and it uses a spider drive.

Spider Drive from Headlock®

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Jan 2023 19:41

I have used headlock screws from HD but I believe they had T30 torx not the standard t25. They where 6in structural screws with large head to hold on the upper portion of a porch roof.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Jan 2023 20:23

Ive been using the Spax fasteners for some years but they have become very expensive (what hasnt?). Yet they are a splendid product and when I use something else Im not as satisfied.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Jan 2023 21:45 - Edited by: ICC

Quoting: Brettny
I have used headlock screws from HD but I believe they had T30 torx not the standard t25.

The HeadLOK screws use a proprietary bit; that is why they call it a Spider drive. It is not a Torx bit although it looks similar to one. HeadLOK have 8 lobes or splines in their own unique size and pattern. That is the only thing I do not like about the HeadLOK screws.

Fastenmaster, the manufacturer of the HeadLOK, LedgerLOK, TomberLOK and several other special structural screws has developed yet another drive; The "Torx ttap". It improves on the Torx bit by being able to stick into the bit allowing one-handed starting of a screw, much like the Robertson square bits have been able to do for decades. They also have the Torx spline drive system which I do like a lot too as it can transmit a lot of torque.

There is now a flathead LedgerLOK which looks like the HeadLOK, but uses the Torx ttap head. IMO it will eventually replace the present HeadLOK.

Torx ttap has advantages over many other screw heads, but it does add to the number of bits one must have if they are working on existing structures or shopping for fasteners. I do hope the Torx ttap becomes more ubiquitous. I would love to see it replace Phillips head.

Houska
# Posted: 8 Feb 2023 07:03

There are interesting regional differences. Up here in Ontario, if you get a run-of-the-mill wood screw or deck screw, chances are it's a Robertson. When I go to the US, chances are it's a Phillips. Newer and better drives are available, of course, but gaining traction faster in the U.S. I think, maybe since Phillips is really not fit for purpose for lots of stuff, while Robertson isn't great but is less bad.

Not sure about Alberta, where I assume OP is from.

Fanman
# Posted: 8 Feb 2023 10:20

I choose Torx screws whenever possible.

The main problem we all have with Phillips, of course, is its tendency to "cam out" or slip. This was actually a design feature, to protect the screw from being overtightened and breaking or stripping when used with automatic machinery. Later, when automatic screwdrivers with better torque control became available, Torx was developed as a way to resist camout, which was no longer necessary.

It's easy to snap a Torx screw, but almost impossible with a Phillips, though the head may be mangled. The downside is that you have to have the right size bit, whereas you can often get away with the wrong Phillips driver if you don't need too much torque.

Of course I still have boxes and boxes of slotted screws left by my father, I try to use them up where I have easy access and predrilled holes.

darz5150
# Posted: 9 Feb 2023 00:05

Kinda crazy ain't it. A lot of us have bits to fit most everything.
I drive by a barn that is probably 100 years old. Mostly held together with wood pegs.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 9 Feb 2023 14:43 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Pity the poor people in the future that will have to contend with repaired items having been repaired with an ever wider range of screw types.

I usually manage to mix phillips and robertson screws in any repair. (Always seem to end up ‘a few screws short’ in my DIY fixes.)

Fanman
# Posted: 9 Feb 2023 15:54

And sometimes you just have to cut a slot in the mangled screw head...

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Feb 2023 19:10

Quoting: KinAlberta
Pity the poor people in the future that will have to contend with repaired items having been repaired with an ever wider range of screw types.

I usually manage to mix phillips and robertson screws in any repair. (Always seem to end up ‘a few screws short’ in my DIY fixes.

I'm to the point at my house that I'm "adjusting" things I made a decade ago. A decade ago homedepot only sold very expensive deck screw in torx. Thus I used Philip's for a while with my first impact driver and quickly found out Philip's suck. Then found a local spot selling square drive (Robertson) and used them for a while. Any screw that's 3in or less that's Philip's or square drive that I can actualy get out goes right in my junk screw bucket. My junk screw bucket is only really used for things that I make that when I'm done will be burned.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.