Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Father's Day
Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 19:40

To all of you Dads out there on the forum, I want to wish you a happy Father's Day tomorrow.
My dad has passed and I miss him, esp. on Father's Day. After he died, my mom left the message he recorded on the answering machine. At first, it would be so hard to hear his voice but later, it was comforting. Then the machine died as well.
I know my daughter will not remember to wish my husband a Happy Father's Day tomorrow but I will.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 21:49

Thanks....My father has been dead over 30 years........

told my Mother --tonight when i called her, that i sure do miss my Dad even after all these years.
We talked about about he would like the new cabin i am building.

Going out to dinner with my daughter son-in-law and new grandson tomorrow. ( he's 9 days old) ;-)

larry
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 21:57

i miss my dad, he died 8 years ago, he was my buddy.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 22:00 - Edited by: hattie

Quoting: turkeyhunter
Going out to dinner with my daughter son-in-law and new grandson tomorrow. ( he's 9 days old) ;-)

Congratulations on the new grandson turkeyhunter! *S*

My Dad passed away in 2007 and I miss him terribly. He was smart, generous and had an amazing sense of humour. Everyone loved and respected him!!

Tomorrow Hubby's getting grouse pie and black forest cheesecake for dinner on Father's Day. *S*

neb
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 17:30 - Edited by: neb

My dad passed away in 2009 and I miss him a lot. It ia always hard when a loved one passes on.

Borrego
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 17:59

My Dad passed in 1997, he was a good father and a good man. WWll guy, I'm sure some of y'all can relate. He is missed. But then I have a son and stepson who are great neither one of them forgot today! Amazing :-)
I am barbequing us some big ole steaks tonite, yuummm
Happy FD everyone!

nicalisa
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 18:20

Happy FD all of you dads out there:) It is you that prop up our families, and build our cabins, and mow our lawns and do all the wonderful things for us moms and kiddies.

I called my Dad and Step Dad today (two of the most wonderful men but they live so far away in NY and ON) and am in the process of making up 3 racks of baby backs and some risotto for our family dinner at my hubbies request:) along with some home made chocolate chip cookies....plus he got to skip mowing the lawn:) he hates the lawn!! no matter how good he is at it, he has to redo it!!

hugs to you all and have a wonderful day!!

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 20:56 - Edited by: Gary O

Today we took my dad to Father's Day lunch.
He's now 88.
The elderly gent that sat across the table is now just a shadow of the vibrant, 'can do' man that for seemingly ever, ensured his family was fed, clothed, and well taken care of.
I handed him my book for father's day.
He'll take it home, put it under the magnifier, and hopefully enjoy it.

He was on top of his game today.
Listening, contributing.

...and when the meal was over, and we'd exhausted discussion of current and not so current events, he actually got in the right car...first try.

His vision now is poor.

His hearing now is poor.

His spirit is still rich.

When I was a child he was my god.
When a teenager he was my adversary.
Then, for the longest time, my contemporary.
I really only knew him as a worker.
Even going on a trip for vacation was work. The ol' 56 Buick cruised thru the badlands of Idaho, Wyoming and several other states, when on our way to Nebraska. Stopping to pee needed to be coordinated with fuel (pit) stops.
Having a large boat was more like a third job.
Once I took him to the driving range, to see if maybe golf would be relaxing for him.
He nearly screwed himself into the ground trying to hit the ball.
A bucket of balls worth of pirouettes later, it dawned on me that maybe he actually liked work........

Now, I know him as my dad, and have a deep appreciation for all he's done.
......and I love him for it.

neb
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 22:18

Gary O

I can relate to every detail that you mentioned about your dad. Very nicely said.

My dad also was all about work and he worked very hard and was always there for the family.

Just
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 23:24

I became a man the night my dad died in my arms I was 15 been the boss ever since. never realy had much chance to greve there was work to do I was the only son .no regrets though , i'v had a great life,, loved and been loved that's what counts,,

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 00:02

Quoting: Just
loved and been loved that's what counts

You got that, brotha

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 17:23

I lost my dad too at the age of 15,Just.Back in the spring of 72.Long time ago but I still miss him as if it were a year ago.I wish my kids and grandkids could have known him.Pictures and memories is all I have to offer them.

cabingal3
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 23:51

well if u have seen the movie-the great santini! snicker.thats my dad.hes been gone a long long time.he was a son of a gun i tell u.did not and would not pay child support for his 4 kids.my poor mother.she raised us on 200$ a month.The child support was only 20 bucks per kid per month.how hard could it be to cough up 80$ a month?
i went to school in 10th grade with mom trying to scrape together 20$ to get me one cheap dress and a shirt and skirt.
He died and he had 150,000.00$ and he had a brick house on the lake paid for and trucks that were brand new and paid cash for.He left each of his blood children 5 dollars each.we get it when my step mom dies.she is my hubbys age.
He beat my mother up alot and was a mean man .i was always scared when i was a child.I will tell u one thing.He made his own boats and beer in our basement.He hunted for deer and fish and frogs and squirrels for his family to eat.He taught me to cook.
He taught me to be tuff.and i laugh my arse off at the 5 dollars i may get one day.i was making it on my own without his help for a long long time.thats why i hitchhiked when i was 18...and determined to walk 300 miles.i was tuff.
he taught me to be interested in hunting and fishing and camping...he probably did the best he knew.he was my dad. a vietnam vet.and 20 yr military man.He died long ago.i miss him like i would miss a boil on my arse.snicker.this is not for sadness .just saying your dad prepares for the world one way or another.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 06:58

But! God evened out my life by giving me Gary!

naturelover66
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:11

The lump in my throat is so large i can barely breathe...... reading of Cabi s pain ....... I feel so fortunate once again. Sad and thankful all at once......

My father is in his eighties...... hes a survivor ..... a Holocaust Survivor. His pain he can not speak of...... his memories haunt him.
He and my mother could not conceive back in the sixties and they decided to adopt. They adopted a little newborn baby girl with blonde hair ......a baby they treated like a princess . He raised me to love my neighbor-- no matter what race or religion. He raised me to be honest and kind. He worked overtime every week to provide a nice home in the suburbs and sent me to Hebrew School to learn of my faith and history....... and when i had questions about why i was given up as an infant he always made me believe he was so lucky to have found me. He and my Mom gave me a poem when i was about 8 that read:
Not Flesh of my Flesh, Not bone of my bone.
But still miraculously, my own.
You grew not under my heart, but in it.
I remember watching Sonny and Cher...... my parents pointing out how their daughter Chastity didnt look like her parents..... she was a little blonde girl..... and her parents were both dark..
They always made me feel loved. My father is my hero. He saved my life. He thinks i saved his.
Lisa

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:25

I HAVE NEVER MET ANY OF YOU BUT THIS IS WHY I LOVE YOU ALL.... I just let my husband read all your post and he said, you fit right in with these good people. and you all are just that.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:54 - Edited by: cabingal3

Dearest Naturelover.please dont feel sad for me.U know time heals all wounds.i can tell the story now without feelings of any hurt what so ever.
I was just saying one way or another u learn from your dad.Hes there to not pamper u but teach u.He taught me to pick out a good man when he came to me.thats Gary O.
he taught me to know the difference between good and bad.He taught me to be a self-doer.Interested in making beer and sewing up my own clothes.I had to scrimp cause he would not buy me school clothes. thank the lord in heaven for my grannies...they got me clothes.
hey gal.i am glad i knew my father,that ole scal-a-wag!(of course gar introduced me to his God and i just said this.the God in heaven is my real father.and this worked.and good ole gars father.he is more of a dad to me than anyone.so believe me.i did not miss out.my boat came in and i jumped on it.that old gary o boat.he said jump in and lets live.)
well i am amazed at your father and mother.i am so glad u were their special little gal and they made u know u are theirs.wonderful.
hugs cabi

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.