Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / tent platforms
Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 16:51

It's mid June and nothing has been done in regard to cabin build.... No permit, no foundation dig, nothing.
I'm thinking I would at least like to camp out in the pasture of my future cabin build. But, I don't want to sleep on the ground.
What do you all know about building a tent platform?

nicalisa
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 16:59 - Edited by: nicalisa

We framed it out with 4x4 pressure treated boards and then screwed the deck boards onto it:)

It is our front deck, but we are using the same application for some canvas tents we are putting up (the deck is not higher than 2 feet {no permit needed} and the "tent" is considered a temp dwelling:)

Here are the tents. http://www.sweetwaterbungalows.com/bungalow_models/sonoma.php

You can even get a small tent woodstove. We are putting up a couple to house our friends on the weekend as our cabin only sleeps 6....in a very very cozy way:)
DSC04475.JPG
DSC04475.JPG
DSC04476.JPG
DSC04476.JPG

neb
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 17:26

Very nice and your cabin looks great.

Rob_O
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 18:45

I was going to do a platform for tent camping, but a used travel trailer got me more for less. Is that an option for you?

smitty
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 19:35 - Edited by: smitty

I see used pop up campers in our local craigs list for 300-800$ all the time. That would get you up off the ground, and covered.
Or how about this.. Go to lowes or something, and find a cheap shed on display in the parking lot. I saw one at ours, that was a display model, on sale for 400$ it was maybe 10x10 and would be NICE for camping, and later on down the road, you can use it as your garden/tool shed when you get your cabin built. It don't take anything to set a garden shed. Sit it on a few concrete pads. Just tossing ideas at ya.

hattie
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 19:59

smitty: That garden shed idea you had is great!!! And it won't be wasted after they finish their build. We got some smart people here. *S*

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 20:26

or build a tent platform..........
which will be used on you cabin later as a deck or front porch.......
build a 10ft x 10ft deck, where you want you cabin at........
layout your cabin, ( 4 wooden stakes and some spray paint)and make sure you put the tent platform in the right place.
You could build this in a weekend!!!!!!!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 22:17

turkeyhunter,
i know.... i'm thinking the same thing. i need release from my life. this would help.

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 23:09

Quoting: turkeyhunter
or build a tent platform..........

Yup, can't agree more.
Put the hammer in yer hand and the hammer won't soon let go.
Really don't need a nailer for it (just yet).
You will be awash with fever..... quelled only by a continuation.
Enjoy, 'cause it's incurable

naturelover66
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 23:23

I get wanting to build........ but i like Smittys idea.

dougb61
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 03:13

My wife and I own some land in the mountains of Western North Carolina. We love to camp but there wasn't a good level area to pitch a tent. Last year (2013) I decided to build a 12x12 platform. It worked pretty good except our 4 person dome tent was about 8x8 leaving a small area around the tent for cooking, storage containers, the cooler etc. This year I returned and built a seperate 10X12 and outfitted it so we could pitch the tent on it, throw a tarp over it for extra weather protection and use the 12x12 for cooking and lounging when we aren't hiking or exploring the area.
The original 12X12 with tent and chairs
The original 12X12 with tent and chairs
The new 10x12 under construction
The new 10x12 under construction
10x12 with cables to support the tarp
10x12 with cables to support the tarp
10x12 with tent and tarp
10x12 with tent and tarp

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 07:22

One thought is to get hammock style sleeping bags. This gets you off the ground and would enable you to sleep at your property without building anything -- it's a very short term solution.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 08:52

^Doug, looks great. Love that last photo.

VC_fan
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 13:13

I'm with CaptCanuck - looks great! You just may inspire me to do about the same thing... We have a shack but with that shack comes maintenance (not much, but still more than I like to do), clearing, sweeping up a few bugs, etc. For the few times a year I'm there it would be hard to beat the simplicity of a tent and just a few niceties.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 13:24 - Edited by: CaptCanuck

I've actually been giving a lot of thought of building a really large tent platform (20'x30') and putting a permanent installation of a big wall tent on it (16'x20').

Google "Deluxe Wall Tents" (a Canadian company) and you'll see what I have in mind.

What I need to get a straight answer on is if I can build this tent platform/deck without at permit.

The last time I spoke to the township about it, they said that if the deck was under 24" in height I wouldn't need a permit, but to be safe I need to see it in writing.

One of the great things about a white wall tent is it is really nice and bright inside during the daytime.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wilbour
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 23:28

I built a 10 x 10 deck/tent platform. The whole thing cost about $500 and is the platform for my wife's tent. When she is not there we use it as a deck. It's a little walk in among the grasses and has solar lights leading to the outhouse.

I feel I must mention that she has issues sharing a tent with the males after beans so she gets her own area to sleep.

dougb61
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 06:21

We love it. It's just the wife and I and our two dogs and the 4 person tent gives us plenty of room for our other things like clothes and hiking gear. We even carry along a small DVD player and watch movies at night. For electricity I hook a 12V-110V power inverter to the truck battery, run a 50' extension cord to the camping area. You can't run any big appliances with it but you can use it to power a fluorescent light, DVD player and recharge your cell phone, camera batteries, etc. I have run it all night without running down the battery on the truck but usually turn it off before going to bed.
Just last month I spent a couple of weeks there and got rained on several times to include two days where it rained non stop for about 36 hours. I stayed very dry without a drop of water getting inside the tent. It has made our land much more useable for us. Below I've uploaded some more photos...
The view of the 12X12 from the tent platform.
The view of the 12X12 from the tent platform.
The 10x12 with the tent and tarp
The 10x12 with the tent and tarp
With the air mattress inflated and sleeping bags.
With the air mattress inflated and sleeping bags.
Our neighborhood
Our neighborhood

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 16:16

Wish I lived in your 'hood.

I'd be afraid of a dead battery unless help is close by. I picked up a free power pack/car jumper at a recycling center which had it's jumper cables cut off and replaced the 22ah battery, added a digital voltmeter, led bulb, 12v switch and a sunsaver 6 charger controller and wiring to hook it up to a inexpensive 30w solar panel. It already had two 12 volt sockets and a usb port. This will power a dog fence during the day and a pop-up at night and to charge stuff. Very happy with it so far using it in the pop-up and camping.
With a coupon I bought a harbor freight power pack for less than $40 and like it very much...just the battery I bought for the recycled one cost more. You would be able to use the harbor freight one the same way or just bring it along in case your truck doesn't start or a larger one that's capable of starting it if this one isn't.
Recycled power pack w/30w panel
Recycled power pack w/30w panel
Recycled power pack 12v plugs & USB port
Recycled power pack 12v plugs & USB port
Added LED, voltmeter and switch
Added LED, voltmeter and switch
$39 Harbor Freight Power Pack
$39 Harbor Freight Power Pack

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 16:22

Sorry the images weren't CC on my computer. Here w/sunsaver 6
photo_2.JPG
photo_2.JPG

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 17:57

Doug, have you considered a little generator like the Honda EU2000i (or the 1000? Might be a safer option just in case.

Also, have you ever thought about putting a roof over your tent platform - kind of a permanent tarp if you know what I mean? I've thought a lot about doing something like that because it would let me set up a tent and leave it up, with zero worries about UV damage.

dougb61
# Posted: 3 Aug 2014 23:55

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definately look into the power pack. The driveway into the land it on a pretty steep slope and my truck has a manual transmission so it rolls off really easy if the battery is dead but the power pack may be a better option.

The only way I'd consider a generator would be if it were so quiet that we couldn't hear it at the camp site and it didn't force me to constantly have to refill it with gas on a daily basis. I won't compromise hearing the sounds of nature with a noisy gasoline engine, it would really defeat one of the reasons we camp there in the first place. Perhaps I could build some sort of a barrier to contain the noise?

As I write this I see the Honda and Yamaha generators are very quiet and small. THat is definitely on my wish list now! Thanks!

As far as a roof over the platform. That may be an option in the future, I just built the 10x12 the first week of July (2014) So it is a work in progress. Long terms for the land is to build a house/cabin and eventually move there permanently.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 4 Aug 2014 08:01

I have the Honda 2000i and it is really quiet, especially on Eco mode.

Buy a heavy gauge 100ft extension cord and place it some distance away from your living area, and that will help as well.

If you have superhero hearing and that still doesn't do the trick for you, put it on the other side of a hill, or build a large boxed in enclosure for it (keep one side open for airflow and to direct the sound away from you) and that should most definitely do the trick.

I'm considering building one of these boxes myself just for kicks, using some leftover plywood, caulking and sheet insulation from our cabin build.

dougb61
# Posted: 4 Aug 2014 10:57

Now you really have me thinking with the wall tent idea. Several years ago my wife and I vacationed in Maine, went white water rafting and stayed a night in a very similar structure. It was roomy had enough cots for 6 people and a propane heater. This could meet our needs for a while till we are ready to build. It would be nice because we wouldn't have to set everything up and tear it back down with every trip. Also could be heated with a wood burning stove for winter trips. Great idea!

creeky
# Posted: 4 Aug 2014 21:10

A tent platform is just a deck. Pretty easy to build. I have a canvas tent 9x12 on a cedar deck for my summer bedroom. It is awesome.

Although sometimes the 4:30 a.m. bird song ... but that's what pillows are for (throwing at the birds, kidding, putting over your head)

The great advantage for you'ze new to your property is a deck can be hauled around (mine's been used for 5 summers now and was only converted to tent duty this year). And the tent would give you a chance to live out there and really see what is what.

I do like going to bed with songs of the frogs and up with the birds. And mornings with the sun on the canvas heating up the bedroom. Cup of coffee. Magical.

It's my first canvas tent ... but it gets the two thumbs up.

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 4 Aug 2014 21:30

^creeky, a picture is worth a thousand words!

ksmisenhe
# Posted: 3 Mar 2021 12:43 - Edited by: ksmisenhe

dougb61

I really like this design. Can you tell me how tall the 4x4 posts are?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.