Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Important consideration for cabin bevies
nicalisa
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 20:30

3 words:
Box of Wine.

We always make our own wine to cut costs as generally at the cabin we are hosting:) when the neighbors "pop by" for a bevie.

So back to the water access cart things in philosophy....it is nearly as inexpensive as u-brew to pack in boxed wine and we have even found some really great options for a bit higher end table wine:) 1 box (4 liters) equals 5.3 bottles and costs around 30.00 for the lower end and 40 for the better wines (better boxed wine that is:)

Plus then we don't have to pack out all of the bottles! All you have to do is bring back the plastic interior and you get your deposit back. and the wine between visits keeps as long as it is in a cool dry place like our cupboard....or gets consumed by the neighbors that know where we keep our boxes.....(but hey if that is the price of a security system, I am good with it)

Now if only they would make box 'o' beer for our barter system!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 20:53

I totally agree. It is very easy to get a really good wine for not much money.
Several years ago, my husband and I went with a UT vols fan group to a game in CA. We were put up in a nice resort "lodge" in LA. The house wine was a nice CA white zin at $20.00 a bottle. We just knew we would never find it in NE TN. What a surpise to find at $3.00 a bottle at home!

nicalisa
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 21:03

3.00 a bottle????

I can't even buy 750ml of water for 3.00!!!!

naturelover66
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 21:39

Love wine....... take it to the cabin every trip. After a long drive its basically the first thing i unpack!

Just
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 21:43

My son brough a 16 L box to the cottage on the weekend it was a local ont . wine $75 a good buy he said.not enough barley in it to sute me.

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 22:15 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: nicalisa
3 words:Box of Wine.

Three more words:
Two Buck Chuck
Love to watch my wine snob friends stick their noses deep into the glass after I pour it from an unmarked decanter.

Love to sip a good IPA with good company however.

But!

If a buddy like mine from Alaska happens down, and he whips out one of his big ars cigars, then commences to go thru his ritual of cutting/trimming pre-lighting ceremony of the damn thing, I'm headin' to that enchanted jug that contains a malt of one.
'Cause it's sippin' time!

smitty
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 22:19

Wine in a box gets a bad rep for no reason. I'm sure there are good and bad, bottled or boxed.
So does beer in a can.
But florescent lights, ruin beer and wine..
Cans keep light out 100%..
Mylar bag n boxed wine, keeps 99.9% light out.
Far superior packaging for a light sensitive beverage :D

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 22:36 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

i am so lucky in the wine.beverage dept........
good friend of mine, is in the adult beverage business he lives out of state..........
and huntng season when he comes down to hunt or just a visit or camp at the cabin.....
i get several cases of F I N E wines.........
and really nice bottles of bourbons etc.
and i am not a big drinker at all. nice to have on hand in case someone want a drink.............
have not bought anything but a few keystones in years..............
Great to have a good friend with a connection:-)

tony
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 23:19

Quoting: nicalisa
So back to the water access cart things in philosophy....it is nearly as inexpensive as u-brew to pack in boxed wine

We love box wine too!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 07:05

i dont like to drink in the woods...except there was a time a few years back where i got some egg nog and we happened to have some whiskey and we woke up in the nite freezing too death.
so we mixed up a potion of eggnog and whiskey.got a bit snockered and fell into a nice warmed up sleep.now if i could just get already made eggnog in the summer.
sometimes we do have a beer.i dont like to drink in the day time working about the place but maybe in the eveniing when all the work is done.
we get all kinds of cheap wine...at grocery outlet.Lots to choose from for 2-3 bucks.we usually dont get any though.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.