Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / A problem coming to a roadside near you?
KinAlberta
# Posted: 17 Mar 2023 21:35 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Unbelievable!

The people quoted are sure telling it straight.

The article notes how the locals and landowners are stuck with some of the responsibility for cleaning up the litter.

An interesting article to read:

'Welcome to a filthy, littered dump called Britain' | Euronews

“…
‘Antisocial, selfish, ignorant behaviour’

However, Read was sceptical of what he called “easy excuses”, calling it a “typical British attitude” to blame someone else.

“A significant number of Britons are selfish, lazy and ignorant,” he said. “Maybe 60% of what we see has been thrown out by irresponsible, anti-social idiots – of which Britain has got many.”…

https://www.euronews.com/2023/03/15/welcome-to-a-filthy-littered-dump-called-britain

Clean Up Britain (@cleanupbritain) / Twitter

https://twitter.com/cleanupbritain

Roadside trash reveals the worst of the human spirit: The Fixer | The Star

“The sides of our streets and highways in early spring reveal a lot about the true pace of intellectual evolution.”

…

“Derek Saldanha emailed us a series of photos from Burlington that shows copious amounts of trash along the roads in his area, asking, “Where are these pictures taken?

“You might assume some third-world country, but this is Ontario, just off our ramps and roads. The amount of litter on our public spaces, parks, roadsides and highway on/off ramps is an utter disgrace.”

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/the_fixer/2017/04/20/roadside-trash-reveals-the-w orst-of-the-human-spirit-the-fixer.html

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Mar 2023 21:40

That looks nearly like 3rd world country trash. I never throw anything out of my car, even if its biodegradable.

My house is on a dead end road and my road frontage is about 20ft wide, the width of my driveway entrance so I dont clean up much trash.

DaveBell
# Posted: 18 Mar 2023 00:56

You won't see that in Germany. I think they have a law that every citizen has to sweep the front of their home and business AND the street and the gutter once or twice a week. Cleanest country I ever seen. I was driving down the autobahn and this French kid in the back seat was throwing paper out the window - constantly, like out of shear boredom. Everyone beside and behind me was flashing light, honking horns, and waving at French dad. After seeing what his brat was doing he pulled over. And god help your ass if the Polizei sees you.

justins7
# Posted: 21 Mar 2023 14:22

I am surprised it's that much worse than New York State, where I have my place in the Catskills. The NY Thruway doesn't seem to have that much trash — which is really shocking since it's not like people are more thoughtful here. Or are they?

We're now in a situation where all the rest stops are closed and being rebuilt at the same time (Route 87) — a really bad idea to do them all at the same time since now no one can stop anywhere so maybe they are more likely to throw their garbage out the windows...

KinAlberta
# Posted: 21 Mar 2023 22:11 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Just a couple days ago the Facebook community site for our area showed a number of photos, taken by a resident, of the trash left out on the lake by a large group of people ice fishing. The trash included plastic containers, tinfoil, etc.

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Mar 2023 06:41

Deja Vu - many of us geezers can remember back to the 1970's when roadside trash ruled all the roads.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Mar 2023 08:10 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Brettny
That looks nearly like 3rd world country trash. I never throw anything out of my car, even if its biodegradable.

Bingo. The real trash and garbage comes from your homeless camps. I mean absolute filth, all ending up on the ground, in the ground and in the water table and creeks.

Based on this photo, we can assume a home depot is nearby. Probably rolled out of one filled with dewalt cordless tools to sell later on ebay or street corner.
hooverbidenville
hooverbidenville

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.