Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Snow and grandson's new 4x4 van
ICC
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 12:54 - Edited by: ICC

We have had about 20" of snow over a week or so. Then the weather got sunny with warm daytime temperatures but in the teens or low 20's at night. So melt and freeze with repeats. It can make for some icy surprises on the uncleared roads in the mountains.

Grandson finally completed his 4x4 van conversion, and yesterday we took it out for a test. (2021 Nissan NV3500 converted to 4X4 by using Nissan Titan 4x4 front end, with a lift kit replacing some parts, new 33" tires and wheels, and a lot of work). It did pretty well but IMO should have a locking diff in the rear and some chains for snow n ice.

Most of the snow was melted where the sun could hit it. But a lot of ice was under the snow in places. We made it to his dad's cabin but we did not bother with attempting the final hill to my cabin. Being on a ridgetop I do have the best view in the area but both approaches can be nasty in the winter.

In the photos you can see the remaining snow is not deep and the south-facing hillside is virtually clear. My main road goes up a steep hill, faces north and has about 9-10 inches.

-izzy

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 14:45

Wow, nice work on the conversion. Did Nissan ever offer a 4WD van?

What the area of the cabin in the pictures hit with the forest fires also? Or just cleared/logged for fire break?

ICC
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 15:49 - Edited by: ICC

There was a Nissan dealer in UT who used to do conversions on new vans. But the NV was discontinued in 2021. That is where the idea came from. The factory never made a 4x4 NV. The NV's front end suspension parts can be removed and the Titan 4x4 front end parts bolt in. Bryan found a minimally used pre-owned 2021 NV, pulled some low mileage parts from a wrecked Titan and bought a Titan lift kit. Took some time.

That cabin is just downhill from mine, in a little valley. The wildfire roared through behind, across the slope. There are a few trees left on the south side, but pretty much everything burnt while across on the northern side it was mostly untouched. The 250 gallon on ground propane tank blew. The on ground water cistern melted and burned. The cabin was untouched.

-izzy

paulz
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 16:37

Very nice job Izzy, he’s to be congratulated.

Many many years ago I had this 4x4 Ford Econoline. It was called a Quadravan, though I don’t remember if that was the name of the van or the company that was doing them. This was before I owned any property, just drove it around on the street to look like the tough guy I really wasn’t. Even jacked it up with oversized tires which took away any power that little 302 had.

Anway again nice job, now that looks useful.
247.jpeg
247.jpeg

ICC
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 17:44

I think Quadravan was the name used for the converted van, done by a company called Pathfinder. I believe they had Ford's blessing.

Was the gearing changed for those big tires?

The diffs in the NV will both be re-geared and at least the rear will be getting an ARB locker, probably in spring or early summer. I offered to loan him the cash so that could have been done when it was all apart. But, when it comes to things that are just for fun, he only spends money if he already has it. He can use my shop again when he is ready.

It is a cool van. Warn 12,000 lb winch, integrated into the new front bumper, too.

-izzy

DaveBell
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 18:11 - Edited by: DaveBell

2008 Ford E350 4x4 by Quiqley. 5.4L V8, Dana 60 Axles w/ Locking diffs, American Racing Mojave rims, BF Goodrich All-Terrains, because on a quiet night, you can hear the chevy's rust.
2008_4x4_Van.JPG
2008_4x4_Van.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 9 Dec 2023 18:15 - Edited by: paulz

Right, Pathfinder Quadravan, thanks. Never changed the gearing but it sure needed it with those meats. Just a young poser at the time.

Sounds like you’re steering your grandson in the right direction.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.