Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Any Public Library Users?
ICC
# Posted: 20 Apr 2024 17:29 - Edited by: ICC

A comment of the Amazon vs eBay topic made me think of this. Rather than buy a paper or e-book that I will most likely read once and never look at again, I am an avid user of public libraries. That goes a way back decades. Starting in 2008 or so I began using mostly ebooks and most of those the Kindle variety.

In NM one can join any of the public libraries in the state. A personal visit must be made to sign up as they need proof of NM residency, but you do not have to actually live in the city/town where that library is located. So I belong to three separate libraries. The content varies.

Two of my chosen libraries loan digital materials for 21 days and the other has a 14-day limit. Once the loan period is up, the book simply won't open again unless renewed.

Free to use, or depending on how you look at it, paid for by everyone's tax dollars. The libraries are there, may as well use them.

Various periodicals, newspapers, etc may be available as well. Depends on the library and its funding. Many books are available in audio format as well.

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Apr 2024 17:42

I have had a card like forever....havent used it in several years now. I never thought about how they might have digital stuff now.
We have an inter-library loan program for the area.

razmichael
# Posted: 21 Apr 2024 08:31

Quoting: ICC
I am an avid user of public libraries. That goes a way back decades. Starting in 2008 or so I began using mostly ebooks and most of those the Kindle variety.

I also started way back with the first Kobo e-readers and obtained my books both paid and loaned (very early days for digital library loans). Now I just use an old ipad as my e-reader. Lots of sources for older classics that are not locked glutenberg as an example. As many of the libraries (and other sources) use such DRM mechanisms as Adobe Digital Editions, this can be irritating as it complicates on what and how you can read the books (although there are solutions). I don't think I have bought a physical book in years although my wife still prefers the feel of actual paper.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.