Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / OT - Jeep
smitty
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 12:17 - Edited by: smitty

This is kind of off topic kind of on topic a little..
We needed a 4wd for our property. Especially this winter, no way a 2wd can get in there.

So I found me an old Jeep, and out in the garage getting my hands dirty. It's got some problems, but nothing a little time and sweat can't fix.

It's a 99 Cherokee, brand new Goodyear tires, in pretty good shape in and out. Just needs a little work. For $1000 I thought we did a good job, the tires are worth half what we paid.

Just thought I'd share, cause I know a lot of people here, have to have a 4wd to get into their property. You can either go into debt, and make payments on one, or you can find an old one, and fixer her up.. I chose the latter.

Should do the trick when I get her runnin right.
:)

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 13:42

Good deal! After 2 summers of heavy duty hauling, including a trailer, and three front end alignments on my wife's minivan (one rock hit almost took out the oil pan) we bought my son's 2001 Cherokee with 60k miles and 17" rims when he decided to move up in the world to a newer vehicle. Best thing we did. We really don't need three vehicles, so we reserve the Jeep for cabin travel. Helps keep the mileage and repairs down and we no longer worry about getting stuck or ground clearance. If yours has the 4.0 liter straight 6 it'll last longer than you. Can't kill those if you tried.

Rob_O
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 15:24

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on that truck. Full size or sport?

My current "farm truck" is a '99 Durango. It has plenty of room inside for hauling dogs and tools, and it tows a trailer as well as a light duty truck. For now, it does everything I need but I see it being replaced by something bigger and diesel powered in the future.

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 16:25

Nice Smitty!
I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado XR71 that I use for work and the desert cabin build. I am looking to add a used Jeep. Reasons?
a) at least a little better gas mileage :-)
b) way easier to drive and park around my city neighborhood (I can barely get my Chevy into some of these newfangled spaces)
c) offroad, although the Chevy is a beast and cannot be stopped, it has limitations (turning radius, tight trails etc..)
d) the Jeeps are just too cool!!!!!!!

What kind of vehicles does everyone else use?

naturelover66
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 16:47

2005 Chevy Trailblazer.........

steveqvs
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 21:15

Good job. A jeep can go just about anywhere. I have had a TJ and I now have a 4 door JK Wangler. I do love going anywhere I need too.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 21:45 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

congrats on the jeep........
my camp truck is just my ole landcruiser......

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 22:04

nice ones, guys!! Love the Landcruiser!!

Rob_O
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 23:34

Very nice FJ you have there. I have a little Suzuki Samurai that is my trail toy, had it out at the property today beating around in the woods working on a path down to the creekbed

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Jul 2011 23:48

Quoting: smitty
It's a 99 Cherokee, brand new Goodyear tires, in pretty good shape in and out. Just needs a little work. For $1000 I thought we did a good job

Ya done good Smitty

I have a 99' Wrangler
Been a good friend

Gary O'

mgc
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 07:33

Don't need it to get to the property, but we use it while there.
DSC00165.JPG
DSC00165.JPG

smitty
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 12:14 - Edited by: smitty

Quoting: bobrok
If yours has the 4.0 liter straight 6 it'll last longer than you. Can't kill those if you tried.

Yes has the noisy but bullet proof 4.0.. :D

Quoting: turkeyhunter
congrats on the jeep........
my camp truck is just my ole landcruiser......

Thanks!
That land cruiser is way cool! Don't see many of them around, especially in that good of shape!

Quoting: Rob_O
I have a little Suzuki Samurai that is my trail toy

The farmers around here buy up those Suzukis, and put big tires on them and jack them up, I have seen them spraying the fields with them.. They don't sink like a tractor.

Quoting: mgc
Don't need it to get to the property, but we use it while there.

Never seen one of those, is the rear seat stock?

I've been digging into this one getting it all fixed up, so I can drive it to NY.. I might end up with 500$ or so in parts to get her back in top shape.
One good thing about being an Indiana resident, is we don't have inspections here, like NY does. That's one less thing to worry about I guess.
Loving the 4wd pics!

iwhitewater
# Posted: 25 Jul 2011 14:34

I had an old Jeep Wrangler that I kept at my place in the mountains. We drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee back and forth to our place 300 miles each way carrying materials. I traded it in the cash for clunkers program with 250,000 miles on it for a Jeep Patriot. I need a 4 wd to cross the creek to visit my buddies cabin. I also haul kayaks and canoes all over the countryside with Jeeps.

Jeep... none better

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Jul 2011 22:11

What is that, MGC? And how much???

vic
# Posted: 26 Jul 2011 23:12

I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4x4. Its got the Magnum V8 5.9 liter. I put a 4 inch lift on it and run 33 inch tires. It will go anywhere and i havent been able to kill it in over 12 years. These vehicles are perfect for off roading and are extremley tuff.

mgc
# Posted: 27 Jul 2011 18:23

Borrego,

That is a Kubota RTV 900, diesel with hydro dump bed. We had the rear seat and ladders on both sides made for passengers. It is slow, powerful and darn near unstick-able. I've pulled my stuck 4 wheel drive Tundra out with it, no problem. Our neighbors got the gas powered Kubota and we love it also, if this one every dies we'll probably get one of those. Price was very steep, but should last a very long time. Oh yes, it will climb anything you are brave enough to try. Over 10.

Sorry Smitty, not trying to take over the topic.

mgc
# Posted: 27 Jul 2011 18:25

turkeyhunter, your camp truck is awesome!

iwhitewater
# Posted: 27 Jul 2011 22:10 - Edited by: iwhitewater

This was my last photo of my Grand Cherokee with our kayaks at the Buffalo National river. It had 250 thousand miles when I traded in the Cash for Clunkers. I bought a new Patriot. My property is just a short walk to the Park border
This is my Patriot
6330_1205182811326_1.jpg
6330_1205182811326_1.jpg
6530_1213407896948_1.jpg
6530_1213407896948_1.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.