Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Genetically Modified American Chestnut Tree
Author Message
MtnDon
Member
# Posted: 16 Sep 2026 05:17pm
Reply 


The U.S. Department of
Agriculture earlier this week approved a genetically American chestnut tree developed over decades by scientists at the State University of New York College of
Environmental Science and Forestry.

Link

Fanman
Member
# Posted: 16 Sep 2026 07:08pm
Reply 


Awesome! Our cabin, like the others in the area, was built 100 years ago of chestnut harvested during the "salvage logging" from the blight (now we're doing the same with ash). It would be wonderful to plant some resistant chestnuts around the cabin.

FishHog
Member
# Posted: 17 Sep 2026 05:54am
Reply 


agreed. Awesome, even if I wont live long enough to see forests of them again.

Brettny
Member
# Posted: 18 Sep 2026 03:33pm
Reply 


I have the Dunstin chestnut. Bought them on ebay as seeds and now there 20ft tall. No nuts yet though.

DRP
Member
# Posted: 18 Sep 2026 08:44pm
Reply 


Cool,how old are they? I have 2, about 4' tall but this is poor mountainside.

More history on the GMO trees in this article from a local station;
https://www.alleghenyfront.org/american-chestnut-blight-genetically-modified/
Meadowview research farm in that report is about an hour away. The state plot at Matthews SF is about 10 miles from here. They share trees with Meadowview and other sources. My wife helped remove some of the dead/rejects there this year.

They've changed and expanded the scope of our little research plot, they are still growing but have not been "challenged" yet (other than the native spore load from the sprouts and scarlet oaks in the woods, which is still high). I think they had planned on an oxalic resistance test, which is what the blight does. Anyway, I think this is 2 years old on those. Michelle talked with that researcher at the county fair this year, they were recruiting more growers trying different seeds and then their resistance to the test. the ones that survive, we'll get back to them.

This has nothing to do with the subject other than its a tree. I got this along the driveway this morning. Its the end of the season and this juvenile, invasive, Paulownia, leaf is not going to get much bigger.
Paulownia.JPG
Paulownia.JPG


gcrank1
Moderator
# Posted: 19 Sep 2026 07:53pm
Reply 


Quite the 'elephant ear'

Brettny
Member
# Posted: 22 Sep 2026 07:27am
Reply 


Quoting: DRP
Cool,how old are they? I have 2, about 4' tall but this is poor mountainside.

I believe about 4yrs old. There in an area of feet deep wood chips that use to hold water. The wood chips are all decomposed. Its prob about the best growing ground around. Unfortunately the rest of my property is clay and rock.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.