Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / EVERY cabin needs this! (home defibrillator)
<< . 1 . 2 .
Bevis
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 23:35

As a CPR first aid instructor, I like the outcome of this so far. I am praying for you and your family hattie, and that Bob makes a speedy recovery.

hattie
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 01:48

The surgeon saw Bob this afternoon and said he would be doing the pacemaker/defibrillator implant probably on Thursday but possibly (not likely) as early as Wednesday. Bob is such an anomaly because he has a healthy heart that just decided to stop one day and the student doctors seem to be quite interested in his case. One of them has been put in charge of retrieving information from the defibrillator (which we got back from Coalmont via son-in-law's Dad who has a cottage near Princeton). They will be doing an MRI tomorrow as well as a stress test. They will also be checking for anything hereditary.

I'm still not sure when he will be coming home. It will be up to the other doctor. Most patients go home the next day, but because we are not near medical care, they weren't sure what they would be doing with Bob.

Bob's spirits are good and he's walking laps around the nurses' station making them all dizzy watching him. *LOL* He's allowed 2 coffees a day so I've been buying a large one for him from the coffee shop and he's really been enjoying that. My daughter has been downloading "Merlin" (TV series) episodes, so we watch one episode every day and that is also something he is really enjoying. A couple of his old buddies have visited him (plus family) so his spirits are very good. We have loaded him up with car, racing and sailboat magazines, so that keeps him occupied when no one is around.

I'll keep you posted as I know more.

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 08:21 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hattie,
Thank you for the update, I'm glad to hear that spirits are high! Remember to get plenty of rest...your going to need it before the implant, cause your worries will be high. You're all still in our prayers.

Bevis
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 17:19

Thanks for the updates. As TB says, get your rest. your stress level is already high and it's sure to go up in the next few days. Keeping ya'll in our prayers still.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 19:40

thanks for the update---keeping you two in my prayers.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 21:54

keep us posted. you are in my thoughts.

nicalisa
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 23:04

hattie,
I have not been on the site for a while so didn't see this. If you need anything please let me know. I manage the surgical department at a hospital near to where you are, so please send me an email to the email listed at this site. You are in the right place for Bob's heart and it is where I would want for my husband to be. If you need some where to stay, pls. pls. let me know as we have an extra room with its own bathroom that is never used.

hugs

hattie
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 08:40

Thanks for your kind offer nicalisa. I'm staying in a guest suite that is offered for rental to family of people who live in my daughter's condo complex. It is working well because I am just in the building next to them and since they are driving me everywhere it is good. Son-in-law has our car because they are still looking for a replacement of the one that was totalled in the head-on collision they had last week. Until we head back home, it is nice that they are able to use it and no way do I feel comfortable doing any Vancouver driving. I guess I've lived in a small town too long because with all these people and cars I'm about climbing the walls. I smiled and said hello to a woman who I passed on my way to my unit last night and she glared at me as if I'd sweared at her or something. Give me the country life anyday even though I am grateful to the high tech hospital that Bob is in .

ErinsMom
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 19:16

Hattie,
Just keep smiling and saying hello. It really does freak people in big cities out. When I go to a big town, I like to strike up a conversation with people waitng for elevators, etc. They look at me like I'm crazy. Of course, it could be my northeast tennessee hillbilly accent! I sound like Ernest T Bass from the Andy Griffith show. In Chicago, I have actually had people say "Say something else!"
HANG IN. You and hubby are in my thoughts daily.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Jan 2012 23:42

I'm running on fumes - been up since 4 am for Bob's surgery and was up most of last night trying to fix this computer that decided to crash. Son-in-law fixed it this evening.

The surgery was successful. The pacemaker/defibrillator is in and was tested to make sure it works. The original plan was to release him from hospital this afternoon but he has had some swelling at the incision site, so the doctor wants to keep him overnight for observation. The game plan is to hopefully release him sometime tomorrow (Friday) and then we will head home on Saturday morning (weather permitting).

The MRI showed a very small spot that indicates at some time in his past he had a very minor heart attack that he was unaware of. The doctor said that the scar tissue could have done something to short circuit his heart and that could have caused the incident on Dec. 30 but we will never know for sure. His heart appears to be very healthy and the doctor said this implant will relieve any worries of this happening ever again. They are going to let us do all of our follow-up appointments in Penticton because it is closer and we don't have to drive through the mountains to get there.

Bob was very up-beat after his surgery until he learned he had to stay another night – that made him very sad. It has been a very long haul for all of us but hopefully we will be back home on Saturday. I will let you know what happens. Please keep him in your prayers. We're almost through this.

nicalisa
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 22:26

Hattie,
I am so glad to hear that Bob is doing well, and I am glad that they are keeping him another night if only to rule out the very slim chance of a surgical site infection.

I know that you have kids locally, but if they can't, we can drive you home over this weekend....though we travel as a unit as we don't have grandparents locally so there is always a group of 4 together:)

Let us know if you need anything ok?
best,
Lisa

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 22:32

Hattie,
so happy that everything went well with the implant and that Bob is doing well. I'm sure tomorrow can't come soon enough for the both of you. You will remain in my prayers and I hope with each day Bob grows stronger and stronger. You've shown inspirational strength. God bless.

hattie
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 00:52

Thanks for all your good wishes and prayers. Bob is with me here at my daughter's condo rental suite. Our plan is to head home in the morning. Now let's pray for no snow in the mountain passes. We can't wait to get home and get Molly home with us too.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 10:37

God's speed.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 19:59

Hey Hattie, just wondering if you two made it home safely? I hope so...nothing better than "home sweet home" especially since you guys are at your cabin full time :)

hattie
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 22:59

Thanks everyone for all of your prayers and good wishes for Bob.

We made it home mid-afternoon after a treacherous drive through the mountains. Our neighbour said she was listening to the scanner and heard the pass was closed to eastbound traffic at Manning Park. It must have been closed just after we got through. The driving was really, really bad but we made it. Slow and steady. *S* Bob can't drive for 6 months so I had the honour of getting us through. We picked up beautiful Molly from the kennel and she is a very tired but happy girl to see her "daddy" again. I also grabbed some groceries on the way in so now we are good for about 10 days. After that drive I don't want to get behind the wheel for awhile. My knuckles are still white. *S*

Bob is feeling good but is tired. It just feels so good to be home!!! One of our neighbours kept our driveway cleared and someone else left a jar of homemade raspberry jam at our front door. I love small town living!!!!

Now we have to get the house in order again. I haven't even taken down our Christmas decorations yet!! I'm keeping the motel closed for the month of January to give us a chance to get things back on track again.

naturelover66
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 18:49

Hi Hattie ! How has Bob been feeling?

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 19:32

Yes Hattie, Hello! I was wondering how the ceremony went for the hero's in your tiny town? I'm sure it must have been very emotional for all of you! Hope Both you and Bob are doing well as you wait for spring to arrive this year

hattie
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 23:04

Last Friday the ambulance attendants had a ceremony in Princeton for all the heroes who saved Bob's life. The main rescuer who was also the man who drove me to Penticton received a medal and the rest got Good Samaritan plaques. It was good to see everyone again and thank them properly. Even the Princeton doctor who stabilized Bob and the nurses were there. The Heart and Stroke Foundation did a feature of the story on their website and CBC radio did a story about it too I am told.

I think what makes me the happiest is knowing that more people are aware of home defibrillators and are getting them. Our area representative wants to try to get a defibrillator in all the small towns he oversees!

Bob is feeling great. He's back to building his air guns (a hobby of his) and his first follow-up checkup went perfect. The doctors still don't understand why Bob's heart stopped, so they want to keep close tabs on him, but otherwise he is doing great.

naturelover66
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 23:39

Happy to hear hes doing well. Two months ago I received a letter from The Mayo clinic in Minnesota. They are sking a research study on what stopped my heart...its just so rare they are having trouble finding survivors. ..they are trying to determine if.there is a genetic link, so my only two relatives( I'm adopted.) My boys will.get tested
too. Spontaneous coronary artery dissection now has ppl wondering. By the way,.i.agee with you about the
defibrillators. There should be one in every school too.

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 00:18

hattie.that is so precious of a story.all meeting and having a ceremony.how sweet is this?I am glad he is back to better.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 10:04 - Edited by: trollbridge

It is so nice that a formal ceremony took place to honor all of those who helped you that day...can you think of anything better to celebrate???

The Mayo clinic is an amazing place doing so much research (this is were our daughter had her ovarian cyst removed). It is cool naturelover that your boys will be able to participate! It is also extremely scary what happened to you especially being adopted...do you have any biological family health history? Both Mr. Troll and myself were adopted too and it scares me that neither of us knows what is potentially lurking out there...on the other hand ignorance is bliss!!!

Totally agree with you on the defibrillators...and a lot of schools are finally seeing the importance of having them, especially after so many young athletes have died during sports practices or games lately.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.