Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Bug out gun (s)
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Aftertherevolution
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 12:35

hey all .. just noticed that my post about zombies (and a few other peoples I think ;) ... were removed off this thread. I know I was being a little cheeky, and I'm ok with it being removed ....

but I am new to posting on here and just not sure how it works ... ie. is there posting guidelines somewhere about what is suitable content, who is moderating it and what is no no's? Or is it just up to someones own judgement (site owner/moderator) ...

not trying to raise a fuss about it, just trying to figure out how to participate

wakeslayer
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 12:54

I can still see them. Not sure why they would get removed. Just a bit of humor. Extra funny humor, if you ask me.
However, just to be prepared, I went and got a box of 420 rounds of Federal 5.56x45 for my AR. $149 seemed like a decent price. I may just get another.
I figure that is 350-400 walkers per box, allowing for a few panicky misplaced shots.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 17 Feb 2012 13:06 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Quoting: Aftertherevolution
is there posting guidelines

Just be reasonable.
Guidelines similar to other forums apply - i.e., be respectful to other members, no profanity or insults, etc.
Spam is a big no-no.
But most importantly - this is forum about cabins and cabin living, so try to stay on topic. Even though there is an"off-topic" section... sure, cabin cooking, beer choices and gun collections can be seen as relevant. Initiating discussion on zombi hunting techniques... sorry, not the right place.
Hope you understand.

JoshG
# Posted: 18 Feb 2012 21:30

I have had this discussion in other forums I go to. For me, it would be a large cal revolver, most likely my 357, my ruger 10/22, and remington 870, in that order. Plenty of ammo, and a variety of slugs and shotshells for the 870.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 May 2012 18:19

Now here is the perfect gun! 3 in 1 and you can still have 2 more guns

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_769651_ -1_757767_757751_image

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 May 2012 10:40

My bug outs wil be my AK47, Cold AR15, Colt M4, FN FAL STG 58 (made by DS Arms, qty 2) and a Sig Sauer 556.

My pistol, Sig Sauer P229 with trijicons and crimson trace lazer. My high powered snipe r rifle, Winchester Model 70 classic in 300 Reminton Ultra mag (RUM), stainless with synthetic stock, Leupold 4.5X14 scope.

I have lots of others, but wil leave them behind in the gun safe.

TomChum
# Posted: 10 May 2012 13:56 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: Borrego
So, Mtn Don's latest gun song got me fired up, and I been thinkin lately: what gun/guns would y'all take to your cabin if there were 'some kind of disaster' and you could only take a couple or three?

If there is any disaster such that there are gun choices to be made, it won't be anything to sing about. Regarding your cabin, you should assume that someone will get there before you do, and if you want to live in your cabin you will need to get them out first.

I think assuming it could be any fun is delirium. Do you think you can just walk up there and start talking guns? Maybe set up some beer bottles on a fence, and crack a beer? . No - you'll have to decide whether to shoot them all, or maybe just the leader. So one of those 3 better be a sniper rifle. And then you'll need a shovel too.

Unless, of course, the "disaster" you're referring to is like "dang it's friday and I cant see going in to work"....

Borrego
# Posted: 11 May 2012 23:13

relax, we're just havin fun.....

Borrego
# Posted: 18 May 2012 16:20

Anyone own a Mosin - Nagant? I've been looking into these lately as a very inexpensive rifle (around $100) with very affordable ammo (.18 cents ea)

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 May 2012 16:47

It's a crap shoot at times with all those surplus military rifles. I have a few different ones that shoot amazingly well and others that can't duplicate a shot even when clamped to a sandbagged bench rest. Part of the matter, a big big part, is the condition of the barrel crown (muzzle exit for the bullet).

I have a Finnish M-N that is virtually new and an amazingly straight shooter. But it cost a big bunch.

Another part of the issue seems to be the surplus ammo varying some. I have a Mauser 8MM that shoots ok with some surplus ammo, but shines with new modern loads.

Keep in mind that the M-N's, the Mausers etc etc all use corrosive primers in the surplus ammo. They really need a good clean out after use. And that means the same day, same afternoon it was fired. It's worse as the humidity goes up.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 May 2012 17:12

Another thing... Many of these surplus foreign rifles were obtained from surrendering troops. When they surrendered arms the custom was for the surrendering soldier to remove the bolt from the rifle and drop the bolt in a box or whatever and the rifle in a pile. After that it is rare that a bolt would ever be matched back to the rifle it came from. The bolts have serial numbers that match the rifles from the factory. Problems can arise when using a bolt with a different, non matching serial number as the tolerances were not as fine back in those times. The headspacing of the cartridge may be incorrect. There are headspace gauges, one set for each caliber. before using it is a good idea to have that checked. It is possible to have a severe enough mismatch the cases expand too much when fired.

Note that some vendors offer guns with matching numbers. But if disreputable all that may mean is that the original number is ground off and a number that matches the rifle applied with an engraving pencil.

On the other hand if the rifle came out of the foreign military arsenal there is good chance that the numbers match or at least the parts could be renumbered but by a gunsmith after doing a proper refit.

Borrego
# Posted: 18 May 2012 17:43

Good info! I am looking for a Finnish capture gun as well, heard good things about them......
Just thinking for the price you can't go wrong as cabin gun.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2012 18:37 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Borrego
Anyone own a Mosin - Nagant? I've been looking into these lately as a very inexpensive rifle (around $100) with very affordable ammo (.18 cents ea)

I have on, the M44. After watching the movie "Enemy at the Gate", I was hooked and have to have one. Mine is a new Russian armory refurbished with laminated stock. I have never fired it yet. Have loads of ammo and pick up reloading dies for it too. I have dies for every caliber I own and many I dont own.

I am a member of http://7.62x54r.net

Seto
# Posted: 21 May 2012 12:59

not a big fan of guns, but i would take (i live full year in my cabin anyway) a 20 guage shotgun, since they can be reloaded under primative conditions and the loads can be selected for specific functions/versatility. but again i'm not a big fan, I keep a home made light crossbow and a couple longbows with homemade bolts and arrows. I make all of it from local materials and though they have less range and reloading is slower i can make all the arrows i want so reloads are never a problem, plus i can take rabbits and raccoon size animals silently, throw in some traps and I'll be well fed.

Cotton Picker
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 13:01

I am the "ORIGINAL" country lad & a 20 year Military retiree.

My choice of 3 weapons to "GRAB" with survival in mind would be;

1. A semi-automatic .22 rifle.
With a choice of ammo, (Shorts, long rifle & long rifle hollow
point) I can bring down a wide variety of small game.

2. A semi-automatic 12 gauge shot gun.
With a choice of ammo, (Bird/rabbit shot, buck shot & slugs) I
can bring down any sized game plus a Zombie or two.

3. A 38 Police Special. It don't jam, it is easily portable, & packs a
punch.

Scott_T
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 11:30

What do some of you experienced folks think of a Henry Golden Boy .22 LR for general use? I love the look of them.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 13:47

Scott_T, 22s for general use is ok. ammo is very cheap, you can practice all day and get really good. not a lot of stopping power, you can carry 100s of rounds on a pocket and take coons, squirrel, rabbit, grouse etc all day. no kick makes it easy for anyone to use and its fairly quiet. big enough to take out a coyote at close range or a coon or fox (farm pests). general use is good, i just got a mossburg plinkster (22 LR, 10 shot mag, semi auto) to take out troublesom raccoons.

if your up in bear country or expect a zombie uprising it may be too enemic to consider useful (against zombies though, and i reference earlier posts, having 1000s of rounds and really quiet you can spend all day in a tree poping them with well placed shots in the eye, just sit out of reach and take your time)

wakeslayer
# Posted: 24 Nov 2012 14:05

I think a 22 is just fine for properly placed head shots.

cobra grover
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 10:45

A 22 semi-auto, a 12 gauge pump or semi-auto, and a Glock high capacity 9 mm.
If I could add a couple they would be an AR15, and a bolt action 30-06.

cobra grover
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 10:46

Oh, and a crossbow would be great too.

Borrego
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 16:21

Any experience with the Savage .223 bolt-action Axis? On sale for $349 with scope....

btownemail
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 22:08

Olympic Arms AR-15 for defense and hunting game
Ruger 10/22 for varmint and other small game
Rossi .357mag for daily carry

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 22:37 - Edited by: MtnDon

Borrego, try a search for it on galleryofguns.com. I can find a better price through a local FFL dealer. Even with the fees it saves some and puts some money in my local guys pocket.

Matte black, synthetic stock, 3-9 scope
my dealer sells for 307.79 plus fees and tax = 341.72

and there's another guy that beats that by $10 but I'd have to drive 10 miles further.

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 09:14

Sig 229, Winchester Mdl 70 Heavy in 22-250 (that reach out and touch someone feeling) and my faithful Ithaca Mdl 37 Featherlight 12 gauge.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 10:39

I also have a Henry AR7. Its a small 22 semi auto that the parts come apart and store inside the stock that floats. Its called the "Survival Rifle".

TheWildMan
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 11:52

Toyota_mdt_tech

good choice, its a survival gun alright, more specifically its an aircraft survival gun, meant to be carried on small bush planes, one was featured in the movie version of the book "hatchet" the kid finds one in the emergency kit and takes rabbits with it to stay fed while waiting for rescue. i think the AR7 indicates that it was developed for the military, likely in the 50s or 60s for their scout aircraft that could go down in remote areas and with the communications tech of the day could take a while for search parties to find.

i think they have a newer model out, not a floating self contained case but a folding over under 22/410 that can fit in a small ruck.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 15:48

Wildman, you are right about this rifle, great info too (military background on it). It is fairly new. I suspect its less than 5 yrs old. I bought it new, never even shot it yet. It all tucks in the stock. I do not have lots of .22 ammo though. Which is silly, its dirt cheap. I will add that to my prepper stuff.

Thunder9
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 18:02

Too many to choose from, to be practical I would take my Marlin 336 30-30, 1 of my many Marlin 22's and lastly my Bersa 9mm semi auto pistol as my carry gun. All these arms use common ammo size's, which would be easy to trade off or for. Ammo could become the new currency.

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:40

Quoting: MtnDon
Borrego, try a search for it on galleryofguns.com. I can find a better price through a local FFL dealer. Even with the fees it saves some and puts some money in my local guys pocket.

Matte black, synthetic stock, 3-9 scope
my dealer sells for 307.79 plus fees and tax = 341.72

and there's another guy that beats that by $10 but I'd have to drive 10 miles further.

Thanks, will check further.....

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:42

Quoting: Thunder9
All these arms use common ammo size's, which would be easy to trade off or for. Ammo could become the new currency.

damn straight.... even calibers that you don't use may have value to others. Pick up any cheap ammo!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.