Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Recipes
exsailor
# Posted: 22 Feb 2012 13:35 - Edited by: exsailor

The What's for supper Grandpa thread is great and I have picked up quite a few things to try. A recipe thread was suggested, so I think I will start it.

Cube steaks in whatever sauce
Beef or pork cube steak works well. I like the take cube steaks, and pound them thin in seasoned flour. Works better to control the mess, if the flattening process is done inside a thick plastic bag.
Then give them another trip through the flour. Season the flour with salt pepper and your favorite seasonings.
Fry them until almost done, set them aside and keep them warm until everything is fried
Simmer them in mushroom soup, any condensed soup, alfredo sauce, curry sauce, spaghetti sauce,
Add onions mushrooms, and green peppers, I usually caramelize a third, add a third at the beginning and then throw in the last third towards the end for different flavors and texture.
If the sauce isn't thick enough use a cold cornstarch or flour slurry. Bring to a boil and then back to a simmer to thicken the sauce, serve the sauce and cube steak over over rice, buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes

dk1393
# Posted: 22 Feb 2012 15:32

This is my sisters recipe for Sweet Rice . Yummy!!!!

1 cup rice
2 cups water
3 cups milk
4 Tbsp butter or margarine

Tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup sugar

mix rice, water, milk, butter, salt
bring to boil, then turn stove on low
for 45 minutes

beat eggs and sugar, take rice off stove.
stir egg mixture into hot rice slowly add vanilla

hattie
# Posted: 22 Feb 2012 20:53

Baby Pizzas:
2 – 4 oz. tins devilled ham
1 – 8 oz. can tomato sauce
½ tsp. ground oregano
1 tbsp. minced onion
Large shake of parmesan cheese
12 English Muffins
Mozzarella Cheese

Mix first 5 ingredients altogether and spread on 12 English muffins which have been sliced in half. Decorate with ½ strips of mozzarella cheese. Place under broiler until browned. Makes 24.

Rifraf
# Posted: 22 Feb 2012 22:34 - Edited by: Rifraf

I dont have many rustic fresh , or open fire recipes but ive come up with some pretty good diet / low calorie density recipes over the years .. meaning gets you really full but not overboard on the cals.

Heres one - Crab ( or tuna ) cakes

1 can tuna or crab in water.
1 egg white (dont use the yolk)
1 stalk celery chopped fine ( too chunky and patty cant stay together)
1/2 stick carrot grated fine
2 teaspoons vinegar( more if you like it tangy )
1/2 cup instant whole grain oatmeal
1/4 cup sweet relish

mix all the above in a bowel, should be a bit pasty and easy to form meatballs with, slightly squash the rolled meatball into a patty
if its too loose, add a bit more oatmeal, it its too firm you can add another egg white or a partial one. I have also loosened the dough some with a little milk but prefer not to since milk has fat

spray pan with non fat cooking spray and cook on high about 3-5 minutes per side until crispy dark on each side

Should make 3 descent sized patties

I make my own tarter sauce for them mixing the following with a fork to taste.

Sweet relish
Vinegar
NO FAT mayo

I usually eat these with a side of steamed or raw broccoli cause I can dip my veggies into the tarter sauce

I have lots of these types of recipes including deserts, not sure if they are cabin material though

exsailor
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 09:30

Tuna Helper Deluxe
1 box of tuna helper
1 can mixed vegetables with liquid
2 cans of tuna, I like the larger cans
Just follow the directions on the box, after putting the veggies in the skillet. I also don't drain the tuna, but only use tuna packed in water.
For leftovers it nukes nicely with a shot of milk and a slice of cheese for a little extra something.

mrmiji
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:06 - Edited by: mrmiji

Here's ALL my favorites:

Marlo Salad (Mine)

2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup peanut butter
¼ cup rice wine
½ cup water
¼ cup caro syrup
2 Tbsp yellow curry
½ cup chopped peanuts

one head of green cabbage
one large onion

Shave the onion and dice
Slice cabbage into ½ inch slabs and dice to get them approximately ½ inch by 1 ½ inch rectangles. Combine.

Mix the water and peanut butter and mayonnaise. In a separate container, mix the rice wine, caro syrup, curry, and peanuts. Combine.

Warning: Do not mix the dressing and the cabbage/onions in advance. Add only enough dressing to achieve desired wetness – essentially a coating.

Lumpia (stolen from my Philippino neighbor)

1 lb. very lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 c. carrots, chopped finely
1/2 c. turnip chopped finely
1 c. cabbage, chopped finely
3/4 c. red onion, chopped finely
3/4 c. red bell pepper, chopped finely
1/2 c. celery, chopped finely
3 lg. cloves garlic grated
1 T. corn syrup
1 T. ketchup
1 T. Vietnamese chili paste
1 T. oyster sauce
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Sugar
2 eggs
Salt, pepper, and monosodium glutamate (or Accent) to taste
2 packages of lumpia wrappers

In a large bowl, mix ground beef, ground pork, chopped vegetables, syrup, ketchup, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, eggs and spices to taste. Place one tablespoon of mixture on a lumpia wrapper. Follow wrapping directions on package of lumpia wrappers. Deep fry until golden brown.

Pumpkin Cheese Cake (stolen from Tacoma Bar & Grill; no longer in business)

Shortbread crust mix:
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter
1 egg yolk

Mix until crumbly, press into bottom of spring-form pan. Bake in oven until light brown (400 degrees for 5 min).

Filling:
1 ½ lb. cream cheese (room temperature)
¾ cup sugar
5 eggs
2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ginger
¾ cup cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. pumpkin

Beat cream cheese and sugar in a mixer, scraping bowl well. Add 2 egg yolks and 3 eggs, one at a time. Add flour, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, cream, vanilla, and pumpkin. Beat until blended. Pour into crust. Bake 15 min @ 350 degrees; reduce heat to 275 degrees and continue baking an additional 1 ½ hour. Remove from oven; cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Run table knife around rim of pan.

Ginger Sauce Topping:
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
¼ cup karo syrup
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. vanilla
½ lb. butter

Place all ingredients in saucepan. Set burner to medium-high temperature. Beat well with whisk and heat until just boiling. Remove from heat immediately.
Top cheesecake with sauce and fresh whipped cream. Gain weight.

Sausage Bean Soup (Mine - served at Callahan's as Hog Hunter Stew or something like that)
water – 3 cups (plus or minus one for refried bean moisture variations)
3 large beef bullion cubes
4 16oz cans fat-free refried beans
4 16oz cans black-eyed peas
3 10oz cans Rotelle
1 15oz can tomato sauce
2 - 3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon chili flakes/seeds
3 pounds pork sausage
2 large red onions, chopped
3 – 9 cloves of fresh grated garlic
approximately 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced

Place 3 cups of water and the bullion in a large (2.5 gallon minimum) pot and bring to boil to get the bullion into solution. Then reduce temperature to low/simmer and add the DRIED seasonings and all the canned material EXCEPT one can of Rotelle. Stir occasionally as temperature comes up.

Hard brown pork sausage in large pan – the crusty texture will soften in the liquid. Remove and press/strain fat through a colander and reserve. Place the strained pork in the pot. Deglaze pan with the remaining can of Rotelle and add this to the pot.
Caramelize the onions in the pork fat, press/strain the fat for disposal this time and place the onions in the pot.
Increase heat to medium/low and slowly bring the temperature up, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Do not boil. Once warm, add the remaining water to achieve the desired texture – smooth and still able to cling to a spoon. 5 minutes prior to serving, add cilantro, grated garlic, and a splash of liquid smoke (optional).

Serve with toasted sourdough bread.
Avoid sausage with much seasoning to prevent competition with other added seasonings.
I like the fat free refried beans. I've tried regular refried beans and they make it too heavy on the pallet.
The bullion I use is Knorr brand, about .4 oz per cube.
The result is very stable and will rest on a low heat for a long time with an occasional addition of water. If this is the intent, consider adding a touch of additional cilantro to individual bowls at serving as an aromatic

Yeager Fried Chicken (Mine)

For marinade:
1 qt water
2 tablespoons salt
1 Tbsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

For dredging:
½ cup stone ground corn meal
2 ½ cups white flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 tsp. white pepper

1 gallon of peanut oil (approximately)

-Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a large bowl or freezer bag.
-Add chicken (preferably chicken that's never been frozen), making sure it is covered with marinade. Chill covered, stirring twice for at least 24 hours
-Fill a 2.5 gallon pot with about one gallon of oil and bring to about 375 degrees.
-Meanwhile, whisk together all the dredging ingredients in a large bowl.
-Drain chicken and discard marinade.
-Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and place on a large baking sheet. Let stand about 10 minutes.
-Fry chicken, turning a few times, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until deep golden brown, then drain on a rack.

Mexican Cornbread (Improvised in an attempt to copy something from SOS)

Ingredients:
3 pkgs. Corn muffin mix
3 eggs
2 cups milk
4 TBSP vegetable oil
1(15oz.) can "cream style" corn
3/4 cup sugar
2 cans chopped green chilies (mild)/or ¾ cup chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients together, except for chilies and cheese, until blended. Grease a large pan such as a "family size" lasagna pan. Pour half of batter into pan. Sprinkle chilies evenly on top of the batter then layer cheese on top of chilies. Pour the rest of the batter on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until consistently golden brown on top.

Napoli Pizza Recipe (Mine)

Pizza Crust Ingredients:
1 ½ cups Filtered water
3 cups King Arthur Bread flour
1 cup King Arthur Bread flour, withheld
2 tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
½ cup sour dough sponge
1 Tbsp. Instant Dry Yeast

Add the water first followed by the rest of the ingredients with the flour last. Mix on the lowest speed for 1-2 minutes or until blended. You should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough. Cover and let it rest for 20 minutes.

Start mixing. Five minutes in, add the withheld flour gradually. After the first 7 minutes, increase the mixer speed slightly. Mix until the sides are clean with the bottom sticking somewhat. You don't want a free ball. Balance with additional flour if necessary.

Let it rest for 20 minutes. Pour onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with flour and knead for 30 seconds. Divide into three equally sized balls.

Wipe 3 1-quart Glad plastic containers with an oiled paper towel and store the dough in the fridge for 1 day.

Sauce:
2 14.5 oz. cans diced petite tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can thick and zesty tomato sauce
6 pitted olives
4 lg cloves garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp pesto

Pour petite tomatoes into a colander and rinse until it quits foaming. Rake the tomatoes off the top and discard the seeds. Squeeze out the remaining water. Pour tomato sauce into a blender and add olives and chop. Grate garlic cloves, add olive oil, pesto, then tomatoes, then do a minimal blend to retain texture.

Toppings:
16 oz. whole milk mozzarella cut into small cubes
8 oz. Asiago grated
8 oz. Parmesan grated
2 lg portabella mushrooms chopped
6 green onions chopped
1 lb. Grd pork spiced to match the flavor of sausage, cooked.

Assembly:
When you spread the dough, don't use a rolling pin or knead the dough. Just smooth/stretch the dough.

Have your toppings laid out so that you can sauce the dough, throw on any other toppings and get it into the oven immediately. From the time the sauce hits the dough, the dough is starting to water log and will not rise. When you spread the sauce on the pie, put a little less in the center because the liquid tends to pool there.

Bake in 500-degree oven for 12 minutes or so. Remove and place on cooling grate.

LORI'S "DREAM" PASTA

1 lb. Browned and drained Mild Italian Sausage
1 lb. Browned and drained Hot Italian Sausage (both Johnsonville, ground, not link)
1 box Penne Pasta (Al dente, almost undercooked)
2 15 oz. Cans of Thick and Zesty Tomato Sauce
8 oz. Soft Mozzarella Cheese, cubed
8 oz. Cream Cheese
6 Cloves grated Garlic
2 tsp. Onion Salt
A bunch of fresh basil
8 oz. Grated Asiago Cheese

Combine all ingredients except Asiago cheese in a rectangular pan. Sprinkle top with
Asiago cheese. Bake in a 350-degree convection oven until cheese is lightly browned.
It will not melt like soft cheese.

mrmiji
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:07 - Edited by: mrmiji

Cheesy Broccoli Rice ala Dan

Ingredients:
4 cups of rice cooked with three cubes of chicken bouillon.
2 cans crm of chicken soup
1 tsp. Celery seeds
1 tsp. Garlic salt
Stick of butter
1 bag of Oscar Meyer bacon
½ bag of chopped frozen broccoli
8 oz. Stinky white cheese
1 cup of water
Cook rice. Combine all other ingredients except Broccoli and heat on stove. Bring to just before boiling. Remove heat and stir in rice and broccoli.

Power BLT

Ingredients:
1 lb. Braum's bacon cooked and crumbled
Foil bagged store-bought garlic bread, one loaf
7 Roma tomatoes, diced
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 bunch (1 ½ inch diameter) green onions, diced
½ cup mayonnaise – to texture
3oz. cream cheese
Green leaf lettuce/Romano lettuce

Cook bacon, warm bread simultaneously. Bacon should be cooked but not brittle. Press fat out of bacon, and then chop it. Allow to cool along with bread. While the bread and bacon cool, prepare the cold ingredients. Blend the mayonnaise and cream cheese, and place in large bowl. Dice tomatoes, rinse and press, removing seeds if desired and add to cheese/mayo mixture. Chop green onions, grate garlic, and add to mix and fold together. Place on still warm bread with lettuce.

Cranberry Snow Drops
The Ultimate Christmas Cookie!
Jacqueline Hunter

Ingredients:
1-cup flour
1-cup oats
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¼ cup butter
¼ cup shortening
½ cup brown sugar packed
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries (Crasins)

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
In a separate bowl combine salt, flour, baking soda and oats. Set aside.
In a mixer beat the butter and shortening until smooth. Scrap sides with spatula.
Add sugars and beat until fluffy. Scrap sides.
Add egg and vanilla and mix. Scrap sides.
Then, while slowly mixing, gradually add dry ingredients.
Note: Flour and oats will stick to the bottom so you might want to pause in the middle of adding the dry ingredients and scrap the bottom with a spatula.
Once thoroughly combined, add the chips and cranberries and mix only enough to spread them throughout the dough. Do not over beat or you'll pulverize the chips.
Spoon the dough onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart in walnut sized balls.
Cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Do not overcook. These cookies are best soft on top, golden on bottom. Remove from sheet immediately and cool on a wire rack or a cool surface.
Makes 30-34 cookies. Enjoy!

Pig Picatta

Meat:
4 hammered pork cutlets
Flour, salt and pepper dredge
Peanut oil for shallow frying

Sauce:
4 Tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, grated
2 tsp. beef stock concentrate
2 tsp. chicken stock concentrate
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Heaping capers
2-3 Tbsp. Rice flour
Water

Coat both sides of each cutlet in flour dredge while oil heats. Fry cutlets on medium heat until crisp on both sides. Let rest on wire rack.

Melt butter on medium heat and add garlic, beef stock, chicken stock and pepper. Mix evenly, then add capers and rice flour. When the mixture bubbles at the edges, reduce heat to low and add 1 cup of water stirring vigorously. Continue to add water until mixture reaches desired texture.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients:
2-8 oz. cream cheese
1-2 cup bag shredded cheddar cheese
2-9.75 oz. canned chicken
1 cup ranch dressing
¾ cup Louisanna hot sauce

Mix:
Bake at 400 degrees, 30 minutes or so.

Marlo's Cousin Fried Rice

Ingredients:
Cooked rice
Peanut oil
Garlic
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Hawaiian salt
White pepper
Black pepper
Oyster sauce
Leftover chicken(thinly sliced or beef
Sesame seed oil
Peas and carrots
Green onions
eggs

Directions:
Heat small amount of peanut oil on high heat. Roast garlic in oil then remove. Toast rice on high heat keeping an eye on it. Saute meat in oil with garlic, onions and oyster sauce. When rice starts getting crispy, season with soy sauce, oyster sauce and a few drops of sesame oil. Scramble egg in middle of wok, when done, fold rice in, add meat and season with garlic powder, onion powder, Hawaiian salt, and peppers. Add peas and carrots. Add more salt as needed.

Orange Crush Ice Cream
Ingredients:
2 liters of Orange Crush (approximately)
1 can of crushed pineapple, well drained (4.25 oz)
1 can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz)
Chill the Crush and pineapple in the refrigerator before mixing
Put all three ingredients into the ice cream churn canister.
Assemble the ice cream churn.
Add ice and salt to the pail as you would for any ice cream recipe.
Allow the churn to run for at least 30 minutes before checking it.
After the mix has hardened, allow it to set for another 15-30 minutes.
Notes:
Do not substitute evaporated milk.
All brands of orange flavored carbonated drink are not the same.
We like Orange Crush best.
If you have a large ice cream churn, you can double the recipe.
You can make this without the pineapple, but it is not as good.
This recipe usually does not cause an electric churn to stop running
when it is finished (as most ice cream recipes do).

Pad Thai

Ingredients:
8 oz. rice stick noodles
3 Tbsp. peanut oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 small to med shrimp shelled and deveined
8 to 10 scallops
½ cake extra firm tofu slice ¼ inch thick
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp. distilled vinegar
2 Tbsp. nam pla (fish sauce)
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. paprika
3 scallions, cut in ¼ inch pieces
2 cups bean sprouts
½ cup roasted, unsalted peanuts, crushed

In wok, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot and beginning to smoke. Add garlic and stir-fry 20 seconds, or until fragrant and just beginning to brown. Add shrimp and scallops and stir-fry 3-5 mins, or until just orange. Add tofu and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly coated with oil. Set aside. Add small amount of oil to pan, add 1 egg, stirring constantly and breaking it into pieces as it cooks, about 1 minute, set aside with tofu mixture and repeat with 2 remaining eggs. Add small amount of peanut oil and sesame oil to wok and stir-fry bean sprouts for 1 to 2 mins., add noodles, vinegar, nam pla, sugar, and paprika, toss gently over medium heat 2 to 3 mins. until well combined. Add shrimp, scallops, tofu and scallions and cook 2 to 3 mins. Place mixture on a large platter and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.

Tom Ka Gai

Ingredients:
3 pounds chicken
2 packets of Tom Ka Paste
About 4 stalks of Lemon Grass
About a golfball sized lump of Galangal
About 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves\
2-3 chicken bullion cubes

Make the rice first...hours in advance to allow it to achieve even moisture content. Stirring isn't a bad idea.

Boil water, turn the temperature down to medium/low and add the chicken. Cook until no pink. Rinse in cold water to remove the protein globs that accumulate that would otherwise make the soup look unnecessarily milky. Discard the discolored water. Set chicken aside.

Refill the rinsed pot with three cups of water, the 2 seasoning packages, the bullion, galangal, kaffir leaves, lemon grass and bring to a boil stirring. Immediately remove from heat and add 2 cans of coconut milk and the chicken and return to low heat until reaching serving temperature. Add water and additional bullion to taste.

Lori's Crab Cakes

Ingredients:
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz. crabmeat
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil

3/4 cup small diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 1/2 cups small diced celery (4 stalks)
1/2 cup small diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
1 jalepeno pepper (seeded and diced)
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good mayonnaise
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Old Bay
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Frying oil:
4 Tbsp. salted butter
¼ cup olive oil

Directions:
Assemble the three groups and then hand knead. Heat the butter and olive oil for frying over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the crab cakes and fry for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until browned. Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a 250 degree oven and serve hot.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients:
2-8 oz. cream cheese
1-2 cup bag shredded cheddar cheese
2-9.75 oz. canned chicken
1 cup bottled ranch dressing
¾ cup Louisiana hot sauce

Directions:
Mix. Spread in 9x13 in. baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 min. or so.

Serve with corn chips or celery.

mrmiji
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:07

Perfect Pancakes

Ingredients:
6 cups all- purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder (check expiration date first)
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. sugar

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix. Use the mix within 3 months.

"Instant Pancakes"

Ingredients:
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. melted butter
2 cups "Instant" Pancake Mix

1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desired

Directions:
-Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
-Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.
-Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the patter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.
-Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.
-Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)
-Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
-Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in 200 degree pre-heated oven. Hold there for 20 to 30 minutes.

Yield: 12 pancakes

Boneless Hot Wings(HCG ALLOWED)

Ingredients:
100g chicken breast
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup water
1-2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp garlic salt
3 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp onion powder
1-2 Tbsp chili powder(adjust as needed)

In small bowl, mix vinegar, water and cayenne pepper. Add chicken to marinade and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add chili powder to a small dish and dip chicken in chili powder. Place on rack in baking pan. Bake 15-20 minutes turning halfway through. Serve immediately with some homemade buffalo sauce.

Sweet Potato Shrimp Cakes
Ingredients
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3/4 pound (41-50 count) shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 large sweet potatoes (about 3 cups grated)
1/2 cup minced scallions
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 tablespoon minced serrano pepper
1 tablespoon minced ginger
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
Directions
1/4 cup peanut oil, for frying
In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce and the fish sauce, then add in the shrimp. Cover the bowl and allow to marinate, in the refrigerator, while preparing sweet potatoes.
Peel and grate sweet potatoes. With hands, squeeze excess moisture from potato if necessary. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes and the remaining ingredients, except the flour, mixing well. Stir in the flour and mix to combine.
Remove the shrimp from the marinade to a cutting board, then chop and fold into the sweet potato mixture.
In a large heavy bottomed skillet, over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil. Form cakes, as flat as possible and carefully add first batch to pan. Fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second side. Remove to a serving platter and season with salt. Add remaining oil to the pan and cook the second batch. Serve immediately.

Rifraf
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:09 - Edited by: Rifraf

---Chicken Parm Patties-- -

Bag of frozen chicken tenderloins ( I buy these from ALDIS) they sell frozen thighs, legs and such but the tenderloins work best for this.

Thaw the chicken and remove the meat from the main vein that is in each one ( cook this vein and its a rubberband.. not good eating)
Blend the chicken meat in your blender until its all mushy.. seems a bit gross i know but were not done yet..

Mix the following in a large bowel

2 egg whites
Blended chicken meat
2 cups parmesan cheese (pre graded kind from a shaker)
Half jar of favorite sheghetti or marinara sauce ( i prefer the italian sausage flavored spaghetti sauce from ragu)
2 table spoons Oregano

Mix this all together very well, if you love your parmesan you can add more.. my wife insists I add an entire jar of it.

Form patties about the size of a burger , spray pan with non fat spray and cook on medium on each side until brown and crispy surface.. I usually cook 7 minutes per side minimum since it is chicken.

** Sometimes I flip them more than once to be super safe
Cover with lid if you have one to keep all the heat cooking the chicken instead of escaping

Once you have flipped it for the last time, for some extra cheesy flavor put some shredded mozzarella and parm on top and let it melt. Top with a little more sauce and server

Completely transforms frozen chicken into something great

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:11

Wow!!! Now I know where to come to find some new dishes to try!! Thank you everyone!

exsailor
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 11:22 - Edited by: exsailor

Tuna Surprise
The other day I was going for a batch of tuna helper deluxe that turned into a culinary adventure.
I had two cans of tuna in the skillet, cast Iron of course. Then I checked my cupboard. Maybe I need to reverse this process.

I discovered I didn't have tuna helper. I must have used the last when I substituted canned chicken for tuna that last time. I also discovered my cupboard needed replenishing as I didn't have a can of mixed vegetables.

I grabbed up a can of yellow Hominy, I really like Hominy and can of green beans.
I would need two cans of condensed mushroom soup for the quantities I was working with.

Once again I found only one can of soup, but did find a Jar of Rague Cheddar cheese sauce.
Great back in business. The Mushroom soup and a healthy amount of cheese sauce went into the skillet.
I drained of the green beans into a glass and the green beans went into the skillet. The green bean juice would be used for thinning if needed.
I emptied the hominy juice into the soup can to get all the soup out. Then the soup can was dumped into the skillet. The hominy went into the skillet.
I diced an onion and threw that in.
Added salt, pepper, little garlic powder, ground cumin, a few dashes of smoked paprika, and finished with a dash of Bay seasoning.
Obviously seasonings are individual so add or detract from my list.
Mixed it all together and simmered it for a while, maybe thirty minutes or so, after all everything is already cooked and you are marrying flavors.
I made a batch of rice and spooned the mixture over the rice, and a slice of toast of to the side. It already had veggies, and chased whatever was left in the plate with a piece of toast at the end of the meal.
Sometimes cooking is a lot like the saying from "HeartBbreak Ridge", "Adapt, Improvise and Overcome".

hattie
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 22:47 - Edited by: hattie

trollbridge was asking for how to make Bread In A Jar on another thread. Here is the version I use:

6 wide-mouth, pint size canning jars with metal rings and new metal lids
2 1/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
4 eggs
1/3 cup water
2 cups fruit (see variation below)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. cloves (or nutmeg)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/3 to 1 cup raisins or nuts (dredge in some of the flour)

Sterilize jars, lids and rings (according to manufacturer's directions) in boiling water. Grease the inside, but not the rims, of 6 jars.

To Make Batter
Cream together the sugar and shortening. Beat in the eggs and water. Add the fruit. Sift together the flour, cloves (or nutmeg), cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the batter. If desired, add raisins and nuts and mix. Bake as directed below.

Variations
You may choose from this list, or combine, or come up with your own, as long as you do not exceed 2 cups:
2 cups grated apple
2 cups shredded carrot
2 cups mashed banana
1 1/2 cups applesauce and 1/4 cup pineapple
1 cup canned cranberries
1 cup grated zucchini

To Bake

Prepare the quick bread batter. Pour into the prepared jars 1 full measured cup of batter. DO NOT be tempted to use more than 1 cup of batter, even if you have just a "smidgen" of batter left over; the cake will overflow the jar and will not seal.

Place open jars evenly spaced apart for browning on a cookie sheet. Place in preheated 325 degree oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Remove jars one at a time, using 2 pot holders (the jars are very hot). Leave the other jars in the oven, but work quickly. Wipe the rim top. Place the metal disc top in place, then twist on screw ring to secure. You will hear it seal with a "ping" sound quite fast. Open the oven, take out one more jar and repeat.

When a bread occasionally rises above the rim of the jar, take a spoon and press it gently down into the jar so the top does not touch the lid. To remove the bread from the jar, run a spatula or knife around the edges. Keep the bread refrigerated and it should last unopened for months.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 11:25

thanks Hattie.i can sure use this one too.sounds so good!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.