Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Population growth
<< . 1 . 2 .
MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Mar 2012 00:20

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 01:03 - Edited by: TomChum

To me, having kids was like joining a 'secret club'. Anyone else have that (admittedly absurd) feeling soon after becoming a parent?

mrcvs
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 17:22

Bzzzzzt had indicated that there is no overpopulation problem, and the argument is a good one. However, just look around you--we have global warming, unemployment, roads that are CLOGGED with vehicles and people, crowded cities, etc. It's hard to make the argument that there is NOT overpopulation, at least on the east coast!

Martian
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 18:02

Therein lies the problem; too many live in the same place. Now out here in the middle of nowhere, we have lots of room for families to expand, but they can't make a living. The way business is done today, I can see many companies relocating to less expensive areas and building "company" towns.

I just hope it doesn't happen here!

Tom

mrcvs
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 19:15

Tom,

That is the problem--in order to make a living, you usually have to live somewhere crowded. I spent YEARS trying to find a job with a good income in a really rural area, and gave up! I would have thought that with the internet, one could work virtually anywhere, but employers seem to dislike the idea of working without supervision; and employers tend to locate in congested areas.

Martian
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 20:08 - Edited by: Martian

At some point, economics will take over as the cost of living/wages in crowded areas will make it unprofitable to operate. That's when I see several complimenting organizations creating population centers for mutual benefit. There are a lot of people that would move in a New York minute if it meant having a job and an uncrowded place to live.

The limiting factor in many areas is fresh water; the next "oil".

Tom

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 21:42 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: mrcvs
employers seem to dislike the idea of working without supervision

Supervision is a cost - no employer likes to supervise. What employers dislike is paying for non-work.

Montanan
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 00:38

Anyone seen the movie "Contagion"? It made me really happy to have the cabin to escape to if a disease hits the populated areas.

TomChum
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 00:44 - Edited by: TomChum

ESCAPE? Just where, would a Montanan find less people? Don't you montanans have about 1 person per square mile already?

==========

It's time for a HUMOR break - that cabin people SHOULD be able to relate to.

A comedian on Youtube saying: "Everything is amazing but nobody's happy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bobrok
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 12:22

HA!!!
You just made my day!

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 13:40

Well today being tax day and all (also my son's 15th birthday) and given the fact that I am about to leave to go drop my check in the mail for Uncle Sam (sob) I thought I would take a minute to just say....I took every deduction and credit I could find for each of our dependents, along with any other work/home related credit we qualified for and I don't feel one stinkin iota of guilt for it!!!!

There...that felt good...had to get that off my chest...

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 14:21

Quoting: trollbridge
I don't feel one stinkin iota of guilt for it

Nor should you, especially in light of this:
sales receipt found in parking lot
sales receipt found in parking lot

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 14:34

Oh my Lord Bobrok.......SICKENING!!!!!!I would like to say I can't believe it but sadly I know that kind of stuff goes on all the time!!!

And here I have just finished my grocery list of cheap meals to make over the next couple weeks in order to help take the *sting* out of having to send our check to Uncle Sam. Certainly ain't no lobster or steaks on my list!!!! We must be doing something wrong here... Wait til my husband sees that....he is going to just explode!!!!!

Scott_T
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 15:31

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
pushed all the houses together tightly, ALL of the people in the world, all 7 billion people, could fit within the confines of the state of Texas.

The issue is not whether we necessarily have the space but rather the resources to sustain 7 billion or more people living on this planet. I would offer that we do not and may reach a tipping point in my lifetime.

Drop tine
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 09:18

Making babies sure is fun though. Hell, even practicing making babies is fun. Don't knock it till you try it.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 12:39

Quoting: bobrok
Nor should you, especially in light of this

WOW - That is disgusting! I get so angry when I see or hear of stuff like that!

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 18:46

Isn't that frustrating Hattie??? The system is so messed up.

Drop tine...glad you're having fun

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 19:23

Hate to add to thread drift, but I think it's in order on the lobsters thing....

Michigan man charged for welfare fraud
Food stamps to buy, then sell lobster and steak

Updated: Friday, 03 Jun 2011, 5:49 PM CDT
Published : Friday, 03 Jun 2011, 3:12 PM CDT

MENOMINEE, Mich. - Louis Cuff, 33, has been charged with welfare fraud for misusing hundreds of dollars of state-issued food stamps.

Cuff was arrested Wednesday but has been released on a $5,000 signature bond.

Authorities say Cuff used a Michigan-issued food stamp card to buy and then sell food items for about 50 cents-on-the-dollar.

One of the receipts from February includes six lobster tails, two porterhouse steaks and soda, totaling $141.78.

The Menominee County Sheriff's Department says anonymous tips led to a month-long joint investigation with the Michigan Department of Human Services.

While the law allows the purchase of any food item with food stamps, authorities say it is the fact they were sold that is illegal.

"Wisconsin and Michigan are both going through some tough economic time," said Lt. Greg Nast with the Menominee County Sheriff's Department. "I'm sure that's what brought this to somebody's attention. Initially people made it about the lobster and the steaks, which is not what it's about, legally."

Nast says he was told someone found the receipt near the grocery store.

Authorities say Cuff admitted to selling items purchased with food stamps on three occasions.

FOX 11 spoke to Cuff at his home, who declined comment. If convicted, he faces up to a five year prison sentence.

Nast says they are still considering charges for the three or four people they believe bought the food from Cuff.

Link to FoxNews article

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Apr 2012 19:53

Interesting MtnDon....thanks for posting that. While I'm glad this guy was caught, I'm sure there are so many others committing fraud

97Marlin
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 20:00

Regarding population growth...whether you are for or against it, I did read that there are 220,000 people born daily!!!! Does the world really need this sheer number of people born on a daily basis, regardless of your thoughts with regards to this topic?

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 20:29

Marlin........ How many die each day?

97Marlin
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:06

384,000 born each day and 156,000 die each day, for a net gain of 228,000. My above statistic was WRONG--it was estimated net gain, NOT the number of births. It's worse than I thought.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:16

trollbridge is just gonna kick your ass on this subject again so just give it up you lonely fool

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:17

Quoting: Martian

Which is exactly what happened in 2007/08. Perpetual expansion is not possible when working with finite resources.

07/08? It hasnt stopped, its still happening.

Tax deductions for kids is because the govt wants more of them. Having kids is great. For those who havent you wouldnt understand and when the grandkids come into play, its even more fun. I cant imagine my life without my kids and grandkids. And of course as I age, its nice to have them coming around. Instead of growing old and being lonely.

If each couple had 2 kids, the population wouldnt expand. The wife and I have 2 girls, out of those 2, we have 4 grandkids. So no net increase in population from us.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:19

Quoting: TomChum

ESCAPE? Just where, would a Montanan find less people? Don't you montanans have about 1 person per square mile already?

Tom Wyoming has less per square mile. Lots of wide open spaces.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:27

Ahhh well I don't know why you dislike children so much. I feel sorry for you. You seem to be a very sad and lonely person.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 21:55

Hey. Be Nice.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 22:13

Marlin/ CVS ,your a vet ,right and dont animals procreate any chance they get like the discovery channel song . you dont get upset with them so why do you with us animalistic humans?

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 22:29

Lol. He castrates animals....

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.