Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / doomsday preppers
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 09:24

has anyone been watching doomsday preppers.
i think its a good show.sort of funny though.these people all have their own idea on how the world will end and they gather supplies for there own special scenario.the funniest part is...they are telling where they live and showing all there goods and where they are hiding them.its a national geographic show and u can call them and be on tv.i just dont want to broadcast where our cabin is.
at the end of each persons 15 mins.of fame-the experts tell them how they are doing and how they can improve and what are the chances of what they think will end life here as we know it...alot of times the experts say-there is zero chance.sort of funny.has anyone seen it?

sparky1
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 09:35

I've watched several of the shows---DUH-tell & showing where your stuff is !!! Defeats the purpose of Stealth Prepping. where Some of them have to drive 12 hours to be secure-Sorry you'll never make it-in a Nuke Disaster,or tornado,
sparky1 in s.va.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:35

thats right sparky.did u see where the one family had to walk 15 miles on foot.of course that is how we walk...but with a young boy.15 miles! and then to there boat.they think they would be safe in a boat?hmm.yep.u are right.

Anonymous
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 16:33

Lets see,I'd better inventory my cupboards,,,hummm,,,,3 microwave popcorn bags,2 cans of beans,1 tomato soup,1 noodle soup I should be OK for a couple of days!lol.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 17:52

I love the show. I am prepped for natural disasters or interruption is the supply for a while. Its a good idea to have a months worth of food on hand. My cabin is my "bug out" place. And my truck (big Ram 2500 diesel with a 35 gallon tank) can make it non stop on a full tank of fuel.

hattie
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 18:17

I watched a couple of episodes of the show awhile back - didn't know it was back on. It was entertaining! *LOL*

Hubby and I got a good laugh of everyone telling where they were and what they had. If you are trying to stay "under the radar" don't tell people where you are. There was one lady who had her supplies delivered in a big truck at night so no one would know. hahahaha....I'm sure the thousands of people who watched the show won't tell anyone. *LOL*

We did find the episode interesting where the family had turned their pool into a fish pond and regularly ate the fish from it. Very clever actually - not so much from a "prepper" approach but just everyday living. I hope the show is back on again, because I really enjoyed it to get ideas from.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 20:41

I wouldn't make a very good "prepper".....every time I turn around we are about out of milk or bread or cereal or butter or eggs or peanut butter or KETCHUP or heaven forbid TOILET PAPER!!!!!!

dazrz5150
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 21:00

We watch the show and think it is very interesting. Never considered myself being a prepper til the show came on. We lived for almost a decade on the gulf coast and our very first hurricane made us wise up and always be prepared. I have personally seen store shelves absolutely cleaned out of everything (no bread, no milk, no batteries.....you couldn't even buy dog food) I mean EVERYTHING !!!!! Since then we've always had a hurricane kit ready. Now its called a bug out bag. Oh well. Call it what you like, I call it LIFE insurance. I had the misfortune of being on the east coast when hurricane Hugo hit. We had plenty of money, were in a top of the line Eurocoach motor home, and almost could'nt find anyplace to get fuel to out run the storm. A five pound block of dry ice was being sold for $40, and a $200 generator cost $1000. Only you can save you, FEMA aint gonna do it IMO. There are still people needing help from Katrina and Joplin MO. Good Luck and stock up while you can.

nicalisa
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 00:19 - Edited by: nicalisa

haven't seen the show but would be ready just in case.....my show is more of the "extreme" coupon variety. I have a stockpile room at home. At this rate I do not have to buy paper products, toothpaste, laundry soap or cleaning products, hair care or other personal care products and non perishable food items for the next 5 years!

So that is my little secret about my frugal self but we have to pinch pennies and so I clip coupons....and have a cabin!!

Seto
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 12:13

i could be called a prepper, sort of, not that i'm planning for a disaster but that I'm living in a small off grid cabin and growing a lot of my own food. I'm doing it cause i like not having bills and the relaxing freedom of knowing i won't have to worry about heating bills anymore (no $3000 a year bill for me, just the time it takes to cut firewood with a buck saw, small cabins don't take a lot to heat), the food prepping is more about saving my own produce for later so i don't have to worry bout grocery bills, spent too many winters hungry and worried the fuel was going to run out before i could buy more.

I'm living like the amish, and that means i'm more resiliant to disaster than average. I would liken myself to the guy in maine who lives in the woods and eats road kill goghers (episode 4?). it is funny a lot of these people show off on national TV, in a disaster they become the go to location, a creative strategy would be to watch the show and make a map of where everyone is. the guy in episode 2 with $20,000 worth of guns was raided by ATF and had it all confiscated after the show aired, talk about irony

sparky1
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 21:06

I'm in a fairly Storm safe area But several Tornado's have come very close 4-500 ft--lots of trees down. 30 some just west 100 ft-of my (TRAILER) 3 hit the house---.
I'm single so storage of any thing is for the cat & me.NO other family alive..I have some solar lights & batteries a few old Camping trailers i'm trying to rebuild,i'm 24 miles from a store so having a case or two of food just natural for me.I had geared up for Y2K-Nothing happened still haven't finished some of those Jobs---Bring on the end of the times---maybe i wont have to pay the light bill, OH wait---I need some more Beer before that-,.Keep prepping all and stay Safe,
sparky1 in the southern Woods of Virginia,

darz5150
# Posted: 17 Apr 2012 21:43

Quoting: sparky1
OH wait---I need some more Beer before that-,.

I agree. If the end comes, someone needs to host the party!
We have the basic needs covered... Bullets, beans, biscuits, batteries and butt wipes. 25 year shelf life.
My problem is with the real bare necessities.....Booze and Budweiser!!! 25 year shelf life ( I don't think so ) 2 weeks, tops.LOL
If someone knows of a website that sells freeze dried Jack Daniel's, pleez let me me know!

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 22:30

we are getting ready to head to our cabin again.and i really am not a prepper as these people are.i do see all the things that could happen.
i just like to be sort of wisely old fashioned.Like Hattie is with her wonderful pantry filled with all sorts of canning goods.
when i town i look for good deals at stores like 3-4 cans of veggies for a buck and buy alot and bring them home and stock pile them.then once all my cabinets are full and under the bed is filled.i take it all to the woods and store it there.we have our own water and heat out there and so all we would need is lites.we have oil lamps.i need to get a big supply of candles too for out at the place.we need a solar radio.i think its ok to be a prepper.

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 23:16

Quoting: darz5150
I agree. If the end comes, someone needs to host the party!
We have the basic needs covered... Bullets, beans, biscuits, batteries and butt wipes. 25 year shelf life.
My problem is with the real bare necessities.....Booze and Budweiser!!! 25 year shelf life ( I don't think so ) 2 weeks, tops.LOL

Did you notice that all of the necessities of life start with a 'B'?

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 00:17

i sure did.lol

Sarge
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 07:52 - Edited by: Sarge

And for those not aware.....there was one guy from Tennessee ( David Sarti) that lost his rights to own firearms after his show aired. Deemed mental by the state. Google David Sarti.......here

Reach your own conclusion about telling the world your thoughts/plans.

TomChum
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 11:18 - Edited by: TomChum

I think it's just about hopeless to consider making it to your cabin in any (significant) disaster if you have to get out of a large metro area. A football game can snarl traffic, forget getting out of town when the national guard has closed the highways. The only way is to rocket outta town the first moment you hear of any disturbance, and that's no way to live during peacetime.

If you CAN approach your cabin, the folks who beat you there will probably have enough ammo to spare a couple warning shots to notify you of their intentions.

The 'bring it on' notion that some preppers have ...... is kinda 'Polyanna', in my personal opinion.

exsailor
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 13:05 - Edited by: exsailor

darz5150,
You can brew your own beer and distill your own whiskey. Once the xxxx hits the fan there won't be any revenuers sniffen for your still. Just grow your own makings. Any store bought stuff should hold you to your first crops are in. The previous has been a public service announcement! LOL

sparky1
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 13:41

Being a old x sailor---all the ships I was on had some Very Old food in places they had fotten about -some that came on the ship was allready old. living out in the boonies--buying a case of things is No big deal to me. go to town fill the car.(1) less thing to remember to get Next time.
I have always"stored"enough,I just counted ---42 cans of coffee. that's a start-6 cases of PBR Beer, 10 /12 rolls TP., well that's enough for a month.If I'm careful.Ha-ha-. NO I don't "Tell" the world how prepaired I am. But i'm more prepaired than any of My Neighbors. I know for a fact.been in their houses.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 May 2012 07:04 - Edited by: cabingal3

TomChum says-

"The 'bring it on' notion that some preppers have ...... is kinda 'Polyanna', in my personal opinion."

i agree with all u say.we have a five hour drive to get to our cabin.i am just hoping if anything really horrible happens...we will already be at our cabin in the woods.i dont like that bring it on notion myself. u have to try to help others where u can but also use common sense to protect self.so we just take an easy approach to it all .save where we can and stock up-which we would be doing anyway for just a normal diaster.small things like getting snowed in and cannt get to the store or gas goes so high and there is a protest and truckers arent hauling foodstuff to the stores.at least we can hang tuff for a bit.and we would share with our neighbors.

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 17:27

soo.i have been waiting and watching for the new doomsday preppers.oh guess what??they are charging people now.we have to pay to see this show now.well i did not like it that much!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 18:05

I'd bet more people after Hurrican Sandy wishes they was a little more prepared. I have been slowly prepping for a while. Nothing silly. I'd call myself a prepper light.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 05:52

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I'd bet more people after Hurrican Sandy wishes they was a little more prepared.

thats a thought i had not thought of toyota_mdt_tech.very good point there.we slowly prep too.with the economy so messed up...its hard to try and grunge up things to save for prepping.when i see things for sale at the grocery store like 3 and four jars or cans of this or that.i grab them.some for the cabin and some for home.
some of it is silly.i looked at some site yesterday that was titled-WHAT WE WILL BE EATING AT THE END OF THE WORLD.it was things like sushi and sort of gourmet fixings.not like opening a can of pork and beans or having pine needle tea.or twinkies.hee hee.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 09:00

I love Twinkies®

I might had to add those to our preppers list.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 09:14

so does woody harleson in zombieland...they last forever.have not had a twinkie in so many years.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 09:55

cabingal3 you don't have to worry about truckers not delivering food. Many of us are company drivers and don't pay for the fuel.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 11:25

Quoting: silverwaterlady
cabingal3 you don't have to worry about truckers not delivering food. Many of us are company drivers and don't pay for the fuel.

well gal.this is good to know.are u a truck driver?wow.thats amazing.thanks for this info.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:01

Yes been driving for twelve years as a husband and wife team.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 17:16

thats so wonderful.u drive? i know me and gar talked of doing this for a time.i did not want to drive.i wanted to crochet.hee hee.
so we did not do it.i think this is very wonderful to get to be with your husband all the time.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 17:18

silverwaterlady.i can t wait for gar to retire and us to be at our cabin and be together all the time.cant wait.will be a blast.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.