Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / over the air (OTA) digital TV reception
bobrok
# Posted: 20 May 2012 20:46

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a very good deep fringe VHF-hi/VHF-low/UHF combination outdoor antenna for digital (US) TV reception. We are about 80+/- miles straight line from the nearest TV source over mountainous terrain and usually get decent reception on two channels from that direction. I would like to optimize reception for more channels and I know I need a different antenna since mine is just a VHF-hi. I figure if I have this much luck with an old garage sale antenna on channels 7-13 I should be able to play around and get more channels in the other ranges.
We are on solar/battery power so amplification is out of the question. Just a very good antenna on an outdoor mast and I'll be happy trolling the airwaves for the other half-dozen channels I'm supposed to be able to receive. We're at about 1900' elevation.
Any experience or recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 21 May 2012 07:40

Reception info by zip code at http://www.antennaweb.org/

You'll need a large outdoor directional antenna with pre-amp. The more elements the better.

I got one like this http://www.amazon.com/Antennacraft-Antenna-Extreme-Fringe-Areas-35/dp/B0031Y8248/ref= sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337600035&sr=8-4

This antenna is not up very high (below tree line), and reception is diminished by wind (!) and when the trees leaf out, and worse when the leaves are wet!

Digital TV is an all-or-nothing phenomena. The picture comes and goes, and may be mostly "go". With good ol' analog, you had sound and a bad picture, but you could see an image. Progress! You might not get a big improvement over what you have even with a large antenna up high with directional control.

razmichael
# Posted: 21 May 2012 08:19

You might also try tvfool.com which has some good interactive tools to determine stations, direction freq etc. Use you actual location (get lon/lat from google earth if needed) and run a profile. Post profile on the forum 'Help with Reception' and you will likely get some advice on antenna options. You are certainly at the extreme end - especially without preamp but if you have a good line of sight and want to build/purchase a good directional antenna you may be able to pull in a number of stations.

justincsasei812
# Posted: 21 May 2012 12:42

This is kind of funny we were just talking about this at the cabin this weekend and I was going to do some research this week before heading back up. Thanks for all the info. TVfool.com came up with the best solution. could not get first link that SE Ohio put in to gather any info. or maybe I didn't let it calculate long enough. Thanks all!!!

Kevin

bobrok
# Posted: 21 May 2012 13:29

Thanks to all. I'm familiar with all of those sites and have used them, plus some others. Each gives similar, but not identical, information, and some go into much more depth of detail. Furthermore, I've found that there is no substitute for actual on-site experimentation, and you can't do that w/o the proper antenna array. I lucked out when I was given the VHF-HI antenna because I know of one or two channels in this range. Even though none of the above sites tells me that I am going to have ANY reception whatsoever I get good digital reception, but limited selection.

That's why I was asking if anyone has a recommendation of a real good antenna. There are so many available and I don't want to keep spending money trying one after the other.

Perhaps there is no such thing as a very good all-purpose antenna also.

razmichael
# Posted: 21 May 2012 18:34

Quoting: bobrok
Perhaps there is no such thing as a very good all-purpose antenna also.

This is likely very true given the range you are asking. The different freq/bands of the stations you are looking for will impact the antenna design and selection which makes getting an "proper antenna array" for hands on experimentation a bit of a catch 22. Options include a multiple antenna array (many fanatics put together their own). or even two or more specific antennas with a switch. Reality delay with OTA at any distance or unique characteristics is that it is not easy and only partially a science. I would post on the forum and see what some of the more experienced suggest for brand/models.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.