Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / mountain men
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jun 2012 09:05

I am talking the new reality tv show...mountain men.its been pretty good.i read the book about Eustace Conway and was so delited to see him on this show.
its so far about 3 fellows.one who lives in Montana.the other in alaska.
and the carolina's at turtle island.
has anyone seen this show yet?we have seen two so far and eagerly awaiting the third show.
i gave up on ever seeing jewels familys show anymore...
this new mountain man show is pretty good as far as i am concerned.

what do u think ?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jun 2012 12:56

I have seen both episodes now. Newest one comes on Thursdays at 10PM. I felt bad for Eustace, his issues with the tax collector. Hope he gets it sorted out. The guy in Alaska needs a newer, later model fuel injected 4 stroke sno-machine. That old antiquated rig is too old and unreliable to be way out there. His life depends on it. And I'd never leave that cabin without a rifle and plenty of ammo to take out a full pack of attacking wolves and any grizzly. The Montana couple has a nice layout too. I would of never put in a sliding glass door though. Heat loss and grizzly blowing through too easily. Plus can see inside contents.

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jun 2012 15:52

me and gar were talking of the same thing.who would go out on a 150 mile trap line out in the way far out boonies of Alaska with no rifle??/that was pretty careless.He does seem to know alot though...
good thoughts toyota on the sliding glass door.and I think Eustace is just the best fellow.sure a fairly entertaining show but also lots of good cabins to see and lots of skills to learn such as Eustace making kindling.pretty good way.we always hold up some wood upright and chop that way.would like to try the way Eustace does this.
and making those shakes and putting them on.saving what already used nails he could still use.pretty nifty fellow.thanks for telling me when it comes on.i was not sure.I like how he gets right in there and works right along with all his helpers.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jun 2012 23:13

What's the deal with grizzlies in the winter?? I thought they hibernate for winter!!??

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 00:09 - Edited by: Mtnviewer

What's with the incredible fear of wildilfe that you feel that you have to carry weapons to kill it?

Last week: Grizzly eating grass in meadow probably less than 200 yards away from me. I was working on my waterline for 45 mins & while it knew that I was there & I knew it was there, we didn't bother each other. He wandered off in the opposite direction to me. I was unarmed.

Yesterday: 4 cougars, yes 4, on my access road, 150 yards from my house, but 50 from where I was standing. They bolted when I walked toward them after I watched them for 5 mins from behind some branches. I went to the spot where they "were". I was unarmed.

Today: A mother black bear & 2 cubs on my front lawn. The mother came over to visit, & get my scent, the cubs were up a tree. I was unarmed.

Tonight: A VERY LARGE male black bear in my back yard, looking for the sow. I chased it off as I've read that it could try & kill the cubs. The sow was very agitated, the cubs were agian up the tree. I was once more unarmed.

I have also run into wolves, coyotes, elk, moose & deer ALL without incident.

However, my neighbours pack of 9 domestic dogs is a HUGE PITA & while their bark is worse than their bite & horrificly annoying, I fear them more than any of the wildlife here & when I walk on MY property or access road, when the dogs are around & trespassing & barking at me, I do carry pepper spray & a stick. I've had more trouble with people & dogs than I've ever had with wildlife. Nationwide, there are FAR FAR FAR more domestic dog attacks on people in one year than there likely ever have been in history and yet people let those dogs run free & even sleep in their beds.

Please stop making wildlife the boogey man that we should all fear & kill. If we as people remove all the normal food source for wildlife, remove all the habitat & stress wildlife into not acting normal, then what else would we expect but for them to be stressed? We just keep encroaching on wildlife & making their lives ever more difficult.

And I cannot for the life of me figure out why such smart Americans have this incredible complex for fear & paranoia ..... of pretty much everything & so feel it's needed to carry weapons for protection. Why the inferiority complex? But as Robin Williams the comedian said of mankind in general in one of his skits when talking about Nature:

"Man, if he can't Fuck It, then he'll KILL It."

Sad but true more often than not. Please stop being afraid of the wilderness & put your friggin' guns away.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 00:26 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

mtnviewer......"it's what's for supper said the grizzly!!!!!!!!!!!"

i carry a gun 24/7 but that's just me .....it's our RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

and BTW--i like the mountain man show!!!!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 01:54

well for myself.i was thinking if this fellow in Alaska got hurt and could not move too swiftly to get back home while out on the 150 mile trip...and he ran out of foods-he could save his life by using his rifle to get more food to sustain him till he got back home.
or if need be...to protect himself in case something happens.Or to shoot off rounds to call for help not that many would hear the shots but you never know.its worth a shot.

rayyy
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 06:32

Wished I could get more channels on my tv.I have to laugh though,a couple of my co-workers came to work saying that they saw this show and it reminded them of me.lol,if they only knew I live no differently than them,except I make my own electricity.And my take on wildlife,I love to watch them too,as long as they leave me alone,I'll leave them alone.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 13:29

Quoting: Mtnviewer
Sad but true more often than not. Please stop being afraid of the wilderness & put your friggin' guns away.

I hardly ever pack heat, but if my area had more grizzly sightings, I certainly would. I dont pack a firearm to just kill animals. I only pack the firearms to protect myself against a deadly attack by one.

Speaking of sayings or quotes, one i like is "its better to have a rifle and not need it then to need it and not have it".

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 13:31

Quoting: Sustainusfarm

What's the deal with grizzlies in the winter?? I thought they hibernate for winter!!??

Early snow fall, notice it was still melting off mid day. The grizzlies are still trying to fatten up for winter. That is when they are the most aggressive and also just coming out of hibernation.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 15:25

well ,we all love nature.none of us is out killing anything that moves that for sure.I love to walk the early morning meadow when it is crispy anytime of the year,summer included and see what animal tracks are out in the meadow and if they have gone on our cabin path in the nite time.
while coffee is starting up,i am in the meadow as soon as lites up.we have only killed a feral cat out in our woods so far.We love to listen to the birds and i saw a martin ,not as in bird slinking thru the wood piles.
I dont think any of us are scared and shooting at anything .I do want to hunt squirrel.i think they are pesky little varmints who chew thru into your cabin and house.But i have not gotten on yet.
we do always take a gun with us...u just never know in this day and age.our cabin is at the end of the line .its not paranoia...its safety,wisdom and being careful.
The alaskan fellow was out on a 150 mile trap line.He is trapping.so even to do his job and get his bounty...he should have a job cause it is his business to get animals.i dont know if this was an oversite on his part or maybe he forgot his bullets and did not want to say so.I think most animals are as afraid of us as we are of them.
i dont want to be timothy treadwell.hee hee.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 20:45 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: cabingal3
i dont want to be timothy treadwell.hee hee.

Or his poor girl friend. He kinda went off the deep end the more time he spent up there in Alaska. (cuckoo cuckoo)

He actually did more harm then good. In fact, the bears he was trying to protect in his eyes that eventually ate him and his girl friend was exterminated because of him.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 23:24

Well,i guess things with wild animals can happen anywhere.Once i was in the middle of Portland and had my baby buggy.I used it to walk to the store and haul stuff back in.The babies were back home with their papa.So here comes this dog but only it was a coyote.It was on the other side of my baby buggy growling at me.i started screaming ,someone get your dog.I think this is why it finally ran off.
times like that i wish i had a gun.This happened like 40 yrs ago.I just had a thought and it is maybe the coyote was hungry and thought a baby was in my buggy.
In all the neighborhood,no one stuck there head out their door to yell-THATS NOT A DOG.
there was a dump near by.I always figured it must of been heading that way and instead approached me...
sure scary though.lol

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 09:12

OK, mountain men is on tonight, 10PM, I think its either history or discovery channel.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 09:15

on the H I S T O R Y channel TONIGHT at 10pm ...i will be watching as well.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 11:44

Quoting: turkeyhunter
on the H I S T O R Y channel TONIGHT at 10pm ...i will be watching as well

yay.thanks alot for letting us know.i cannt wait.by the way.did u all see the fellow up in Alaska who got mauled by a bear and had to climb up in a tree and call on his cell phone.i was for sure this would happen to the mountain man in Alaska...maybe not a bear but a lynx.anyway.doesnt hurt to be careful.

adakseabee
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 12:15

As for the Alaskan trapper, he may not have had a rifle during his inspection of his trapline, but I would bet that the video crew with him were armed. Remember, the show is not a documentary, but entertainment. Real life is always disguised in the name of entertainment.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 13:56

Quoting: adakseabee
but I would bet that the video crew with him were armed.

ha ha ha..i bet u are so right!!so true!

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 11:47

it was a pretty good show last nite.
that alaska fellow is one tuff guy.
Ole Eustace...pretty good guy.just a good show as far as i am concerned.
did u see it?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 23:45

For those who missed it, on again tonight, except 9PM.

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 00:10

yes.all of them are on-over and over tonite.whee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 00:39

Eustace is 51 yrs old.
i dont know the ages of the other mountain men.
maybe this show will help Eustace pay off his lien.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 10:50

Cabingal3, I really felt bad for Eustace also. Was thinking the same thing. I suspect plenty feel as we do and he will be fine on his lien after the show. Notice how huge those guys like OCC, Jesse James etc got after their shows aired.

ANd how shows like American pickers has driven up prices of old antiques I'm trying to buy to decorate my cabin. Its all priced way beyond what I want to pay. Old rusted beaver and bear traps, $5, now nothing under $100.

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 16:54

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Notice how huge those guys like OCC, Jesse James etc got after their shows aired.

yes.i sure have noticed this toyota_mdt_tech!
and American pickers just kills me.They get this stuff for cheap.Then as the end the people who sold it to them for so cheap get to see how they got skunked.hee hee.
thats wild about how the cost of antiques have gone up!

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 17:23

I don't feel sorry for a guy that does not pay his taxes. Most of us don't like paying taxes but we do. I work hard and pay my taxes so I don't have to worry about somebody taking my land and cabin.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 01:31

I dont think its because he doesnt want to, I think he just ran into tough times where money was in short supply. I agree, he needs to pay his fair share.

I'd feel bad for you if you lost your job and got behind on your taxes and was at risk of losing your property.

But not if you just didnt pay them at all, just because you dont like taxes.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 13:19

i think Eustace is an honorable fellow.i think he must of fallen on tuff times.it is tuff times right now.I saw him cutting fire wood and working to get it gathered to sell to pay off his taxes.so i think this new show sure will help him pay taxes on his 1000 acres.i wonder what he has to pay each year?maybe pretty hefty?i dont know.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 Jun 2012 07:07

Quoting: cabingal3
who would go out on a 150 mile trap line out in the way

i just watched the latest mountain man show and the real story is...ten miles of traps for marty.
Eustace has a bad cold and uses something called yellowroot to cure him.it was a pretty good show this time too.
old tom goes to visit his brother jack.did anyone see it?

Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Jun 2012 09:21

His taxes can't be much if he spent one day with one chain saw cutting wood to pay them. To bad he has to be threatend with the loss of his land before he decideds to pay his taxes. Most of us have to work alot longer and harder to pay ours and do it without threats to cause bodily harm to others!

sabiggs
# Posted: 22 Jun 2012 09:45

I love this show. It's becoming my favorite watch on the tube. Highly entertaining.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.