Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Dick Proenneke
cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 11:17

just saw a special of this man Dick Proenneke and his living in the wilderness alone films.
I know everyone knows of him and about him.I also did but not so in depth as i do now.Me and gar watched an oregon public broadcasting special on yesterday afternoon.i always saw him and snippets of his life in Alaska on you tube.I never saw the whole story of him and his life.
he lived in the alaskan wilderness for 30 plus years and he was a real doer...
wow.he could make anything.amazing story.i think u can get the full story in dvd and also his books.i want the book.i would imagen this is really good reading.

after we saw this show-we looked at each other and felt like we were whimps.has anyone seen about his life and how he nearly built everything he had by hisself?
he would walk 22 miles in a day.and talk of sleeping good on that nite.he is really something.

cman47c
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 11:31

I have all the books and DVD's. My wife and I took a trip to AK in June, 2008 and visited his cabin for a day and fished and hiked at Twin Lakes. We signed the guest book in his cabin. It is an awesome place. It is preserved as a National Historic Place now in Lake Clark National Park. It is not easy to get there and you have to get a float plane into Twin Lakes. I definitely would like to go back.

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 13:20

I love his life and story. We watch the pbs special whenever its on.

MJW
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 13:44

Dick Proenneke was the man. Can you imagine being that capable and self sufficient?

I love his videos and actually have a copy of some of his journals in PDF. Very interesting reading.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 16:50

oh i am so envious of any who have gotten to go and see the cabin and walk about twin lakes.so pretty there.
I sure can not imagen doing all he did.i tried to make birdhouses once and they were so horrid.he could just make anything.pretty amazing shows.i would love to have the journals and the dvd's.maybe i will look online and see if we can order them.they are certainly worth rewatching...over and over again.

MJW
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 17:01

Here is a link to some of the journals:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/lacl/proenneke.pdf

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 17:04

oh my gosh.thank u so so much MJW.this is gonna be wonderful to see and to read.great!!!

fred
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 19:07

I'd like to formally thank you too MJW. Truly an amazing collection of docs. After viewing the 3 PBS shows for some background, the journals will be inspirational to read. I might even transfer to a USB drive to read at the cabin on my laptop. MUCH appreciated !!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 19:50

Check out vimeo.com, search "Proenneke" . Free to watch.

MJW
# Posted: 11 Jun 2012 20:30

Hey guys...my pleasure. I have gotten so much great info from this forum it feels awesome to be able to share something others find of value.

Not too many guys like Dick around anymore I am afraid. Can you imagine being able to spend some time with someone like him?

Quoting: SE Ohio
Check out vimeo.com, search "Proenneke" . Free to watch.

I think the owners of those videos had had them removed from vimeo. I had watched them several times and had them bookmarked but they seem to be gone now.

cman47c
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 08:15

DVD's also available at www.dickproenneke.com: Bob Swerer productions, 800-737-0239.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 12:19

Hubby's a pretty handy guy, but even he was blown away by Proenneke!! That man could build anything out of practically nothing!! I watch the show whenever it is on PBS even though I've seen it lots of times!!

Gregjman
# Posted: 7 Oct 2013 17:45

Just picked up the book of his journal and I'm really drawn into it after having watched the documentary a thousand times.

I was surprised though at how close/accessible the babe guy actually was to him by plane. I got a different impression from the documentary as to his actual seclusion from supplies and whatnot.

If anyone on here haven't read or seen it they should really check it out.

scout100
# Posted: 3 Nov 2013 16:56 - Edited by: scout100

I thought I was a bad-ass when I bought a piece of land. Built my 12' X 12' camp in my driveway on a landscape trailer.. Trailered to my spot and dropped it in place.. Dug my own well.. Found spring water stream where I bathed and drank water.. Made fire from rubbing sticks together.. Then, I watched the Dick Proenke specials on PBS and it made me feel small and wimpy, LOL... Holy Crap, that guy was tough! You know who else IMHO is even more impressive than Dick Proeneke? A guy named Harry Pidgeon, he was a man back in the mid 1920's and the 2nd person in the world to solo-circumnavigate the globe in a sailboat that he built. At 51 years old the man built a sailboat and had zero experience in sailing and sailed the world. That's impressive! Look him up..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.