Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / quotes from those we admire.
. 1 . 2 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 12:18

lets post quotes about woods,life and cabin things.it would be encouraging i think for those who sometimes want to give up.
here is something to make us think-it is from Eustace Conway.

Do people live in circles today? No. They live in boxes. They wake up every morning in a box of their bedrooms because a box next to them started making beeping noises to tell them it was time to get up. They eat their breakfast out of a box and then they throw that box away into another box. Then they leave the box where they live and get into another box with wheels and drive to work, which is just another big box broken into little cubicle boxes where a bunch of people spend their days sitting and staring at the computer boxes in front of them. When the day is over, everyone gets into the box with wheels again and goes home to the house boxes and spends the evening staring at the television boxes for entertainment. They get their music from a box, they get their food from a box, they keep their clothing in a box, they live their lives in a box.

Break out of the box!,,, This not the way humanity lived for thousands of years.

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 15:27

True but scary about the boxes!!!

Here's one we have hanging in our cabin that I always hope is silently sinking in to the kids. Abraham Lincoln gets the credit for saying...

"Whatever you are...be a good one."

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 15:31

I think this is particularly relevant for those who choose to build their own cabins.

Thomas Payne said "what we obtain too cheaply we esteem too lightly."

I think that is the reason a lot of people love their cabin more than their house because they have put their OWN blood, sweat and tears into it.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 16:45

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
I think that is the reason a lot of people love their cabin more than their house because they have put their OWN blood, sweat and tears into it.

i think u are so right Bzzzzzt!

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 16:47

Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.

Dick Proenneke

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 16:55

''Well I'll only be eighty two'' Delmar, from ''Oh Brother where art thou''

Owen

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 17:59

irish saying here...

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle"

rayyy
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 18:54

"Better late than never"My dream had to wait for fourty years befor It all came together and so hear I am.I'm living that dream.It's even more wonderful than I ever expected.

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 18:56

"Happiness is not something ready made, it comes from your own actions".
The Dalai Lama

countryred
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 23:03 - Edited by: countryred

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Back in the old days, my dad and everybody talked about going fishing – how if they "don't get away this weekend, they're going to go crazy." That wasn't a cliché, that was a fact. Fishing's the last vehicle for the masses to get away from rush-hour city traffic and all that.

Why do cities grow outward? Because people fight to get to the edges. The insanity is to the middle. The closer you are to the middle, the more insane you become. And if there's no way to escape, we're all going to go insane. Rick Clunn

hattie
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 23:15

Hubby and I have always loved this quote:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!

Malamute
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 00:16 - Edited by: Malamute

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

"Undoubtedly, not all men are equally fit subjects for civilization; and because the majority, like dogs and sheep, are tame by inherited disposition, this is no reason why the others should have their natures broken that they may be reduced to the same level." -Henry David Thoreau-

"Please don't assume your lack of ability is automatically someone else's limitation.

What they don't do is listen to someone tell them they can't do it."
Anonymous quote off the web

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
- P.J. O'Rourke

"Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty – and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies." – H.L. Mencken

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences of attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson

"...the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." Daniel Webster

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 05:55

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
John Muir

exsailor
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 08:34 - Edited by: exsailor

I have read many inspiring things, some I use to guide my journey through this world. This one is the one that holds most meaning for me.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Author Unknown

exsailor

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 15:04

My "go to" when stress really starts getting the best of me....

"THIS TOO SHALL PASS" ...........and the quicker the better!

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 19:21

Quoting: trollbridge
"THIS TOO SHALL PASS"

thats gars exact quote and thought for all of life.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 22:04

You should see my kids cringe when I say this----except for my 20 year old...she has adopted this as her "go to" also. She has it scrolling across her laptop for school.

If I had a dollar for every time I have had to remind myself of this, well then, I would be a very rich woman!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 11:05

Saw a quote yesterday while at the bank---

"Stay calm and carry on" that is appropriate for all us cabin builders setting out to fulfill a dream!

MJW
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 12:57 - Edited by: MJW

" I don't want to live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive."
Jon Bon Jovi

Admire? Maybe....but I love the quote.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 13:45 - Edited by: trollbridge

Good quote MJW-

Admire? I certainly can admire Jon Bon Jovi as I think most women would agree- the guy is just HOT! LOL! And he's been married to his high school sweetheart for 23 years now....in that business that says a lot!!

canadian girl
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 16:50

I love quotes !! some of my favorite are ......

´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·' ¤~ {"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.}¤~

Grow old with me the best is yet to be .

Family ....All because two people fell in love.

When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better.

( Sorry I have no idea who said any of those but one of my most favorites is a quote from "The Last Lecture " by Randy Pausch .If you haven't listened to it you should . Quite long but so worth it ........)

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. Randy Pausch

canadian girl
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 16:51

ps Bon Jovi is dreamy lol ;)

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 18:03

''You ain't no kinda man if you don't have land'' Delmar from ''Oh Brother where art thou.''

Owen

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 11:13 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: OwenChristensen
''You ain't no kinda man if you don't have land'' Delmar from ''Oh Brother where art thou.'

Owen...I'm guessing this may be one of your favorite movies? We enjoyed that one too

canadiangirl...did you let in a black fly???? Grab the fly swatter and get that sucker would ya???

SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 12:21

"You buttered your bread- now sleep in it!"

Porky Pig

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 13:21

Quoting: SE Ohio
"You buttered your bread- now sleep in it!"

Porky Pig

lol.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 13:26

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.
- Marie Curie

neb
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 15:23

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."
― William W. Purkey
"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
― Mahatma Gandhi

SE Ohio
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 19:01

Winston Churchill:

Bessie Braddock: "Sir, you are drunk."
Churchill: "Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober."

Nancy Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison."
Churchill: "If I were your husband I would take it."

VC_fan
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 19:03

I have a whole collection that I keep in a file to cheer me up when necessary, but I'll limit myself to three.

Be good and you will be lonesome.
Be lonesome and you will be free.
Live a lie and you will live to regret it.
That's what livin' is to me.
-Mark Twain (first line, inscribed on the first page of "Following the Equator"; augmented by Jimmy Buffett)

"The cage sure looks empty, don't it Pa?" Opie.
"Yes, son it does. But don't the trees seem nice and full. "Andy. Spoken on the occasion of Winkin', Blinkin' and Nod's release.

I've never heard who said this first, and I don't know the exact numbers (maybe somebody can help me here), but it's very fitting for the owner-builders who frequent this site --
"The Mona Lisa wasn't created by giving a dozen artists a hundred dabs apiece".

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.