Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / not to be weird but! (new virtual google maps)
cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 12:08

did u all see the latest news about the new virtual google maps??
they can see whatever u do in your yard.they showed a fellow in his front yard mowing and the google photo was as clear as if someone had taken his picture for the family photo albumn.
what ways do u think this can be used to help the government?
why would they let this be allowed?do u think this is freaky or wrong?is there anything good about this new technology?

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 14:55

cabi...They're coming to take you away (ha ha) they're coming to take you away (hee hee)!!!! Quick....RUN!!!!!

Guess we better always look our best while we are out in our yards...even if we don't have neighbors!! Creepy....and an invasion of privacy IMO.

MJW
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 15:03

This is just a prime example of the continuation and actual acceleration of the erosion of freedoms in our country.

Even those of us that plan very isolated cabins to avoid such situations as this will most likely not succeed as our government and super corps such as Google continue to push and invade more and more of what is left of any private life we still have.

This is a really sore spot for me as you may be able to tell. 99% of the population are the "frog in the heating pot of water."

Sad to say but other countries give their citizens more "freedom" than we have right here at home.

I love my country. I fear my government.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 15:30

Quoting: MJW
Even those of us that plan very isolated cabins to avoid such situations as this will most likely not succeed as our government and super corps such as Google continue to push and invade more and more of what is left of any private life we still have.

sure wise words.thanks MJW.just what i was thinking on this also...
just wonder how far this one can go to invade into our lives.

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 19:37 - Edited by: TomChum

When Google moves to Saudi Arabia......RUN!

Sorry I can't imagine where to run to.

johng
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 21:24

Google maps update about every 5 years so that fellow mowing will still be in the same spot 4 years from now. If he was recognizable, then the pic was probably photo shopped.
Now I'm not saying that government satellites won't show a pimple on your butt, but if they are looking at you that close then it won't be public knowledge.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 21:44

Anyone find a google map of a nudist colony yet

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 21:55

If Google ever posts pictures of a nudist colony.....RUN!

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 22:00

I watched a deal on discovery or PBS or something like 15 or more years ago where they were talking about spy satellites and they were claiming at that time that the current satellite technology could read the date on a dime from space. Add 15 years and I'll bet they could read the extra letters the engraver left under Roosevelt's collar as a signature!

That having been said, FINDING something to look at, unless you knew exactly where to look might be more difficult. The world is a BIG place.

Also, concerning government conspiracies, I work for a company that contracts for the government. I work directly with several commonly known government agencies. They are a bunch of morons running around in a maze telling other morons moronic things. No one knows which end is up and there are no brains to be had. Things that seem normal to you and me are outside the realm of possibility with the government. So the idea that there is some big government conspiracy to spy on everyone just seems crazy to me. They're too dumb to figure out who to spy on and it would take 15 years for them to gather 20 year old information. Google, on the other hand, has the brains, the money and the desire to spy on you for their own reasons. THOSE people scare me.

Brknarow
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 22:22

They won't have to spy on everyone with those satellites, Facebook, cell phones, and soon, the smart grid will be able to do that. Will be good to keep tabs on those who are off the grid though. Trying to be self sustainable will be impossible or dangerous without a steady income too once the mandatory health care goes into effect. It'll be against the law not to have health insurance and I don't think they'll be taking a sack of potatoes for it.

TomChum
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 01:18 - Edited by: TomChum

>>>Google, on the other hand, has the brains, the money and the desire to spy on you for their own reasons. THOSE people scare me.<<<

I agree. Govt doesn't have a profit motive, consequently they can't really get it done compared to big industry. Energy companies, communications / internet , insurance ..... they're gonna 'get things done! They have the money and the motivation and the public relations firms to get the word out, drive the voters against legislation unfavorable to their goals.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 07:49

Content is king. Unfortunatley, they don't even need to come spy on people anymore. People on facebook, twitter, etc are willingly giving up where they are, what they are doing and so much more. They friend anyone that sends a request to inflate their numbers and soon practically anyone has an open window to your life.

Plus what would govt, terriorist, etc want with our little places in the woods. They want to control/impact the masses...

Honestly the only way I see them affecting us is with these tax hikes on property, but that is another thread.

Youngster
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 15:49

The EPA currently uses surveillance drones to monitor farmers, looking for potential "Clean Water Act" violations... Big Brother is ALWAYS watching, most people just don't notice blatant intrusion... yet...

http://southwestfarmpress.com/government/epa-surveillance-drones-concern-agriculture- industry

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 18:50

makes me think of 'Fahrenheit 451.Camera's are everywhere.
sort of a timely novel.

TomChum
# Posted: 15 Jun 2012 19:09 - Edited by: TomChum

Youngster, Clean water is important for lots of things. I would like my grandchildren (who don't exist yet) to have clean water.

If the Gov't wasn't watching how we take care of water quality USA would be like China.

What concerns me is other ways the photos and videos of citizens and their property are being used.

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 11:12 - Edited by: TomChum

>> What concerns me is <<

Oooops! - this drone thing turned out to be internet hysteria. Remember when women couldn't be trusted to vote because they were "too hysterical"? Apparently a news story that said "EPA inspectors were flying around in light aircraft" was changed to 'drones' and then the story took off.

Oh well, a bunch of congressmen believed it too, even wrote letters confirming that they bit into internet stories (& fox news bit too) hook line and sinker! Problem is, we sort of "trust" congressmen and news to check their sources.

Hopefully WA Post checks their sources. This stuff is scary we have to elect our legislators based on the news we believe. http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/reining-in-the-rumors-about-epa-drones/2012/06 /16/gJQAwWjkhV_print.html

MJW
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 16:50

Everyone has a right to their opinion of course and I am certainly not as radical as some I know but I do believe we are monitored. Especially those of us that are choosing to live a less conventional, more self sufficient lifestyle.

The purpose of the monitoring? I guess your take on that will depend on how radical/paranoid/aware you really are.

Just because you choose to be "aware" doesn't make you any kind of kook or conspiracy theorist.

Seeing more and more articles like these makes me wonder sometimes, though.

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 17:19

thats so crazy of a story.wow.that lady should talk to Michele Obama about her situation cause Michele has a garden at the whitehouse.that is so wrong.
i dont think i am really radical...just sort of put this out there to see what others thought about this and if they had heard the news on this subject.
pretty interesting for sure.

TomChum
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 18:16 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: MJW
Just because you choose to be "aware" doesn't make you any kind of kook or conspiracy theorist.

And in the same way, "just because you ARE paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you ! " Yes you have to stay aware. Pay serious attention to your news sources, these days there is almost always a profit motive behind events published as 'news'.

I bet there are key details left out of that garden seizure 'internet story' to make it align to what the survivalist readership wants to read. I bet she planted the garden on city property (or some situation like that).

tsvoyager
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 22:57

I hope they didn't catch me watering the trees. I'd hate to have that posted for 4 or 5 years:

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Jun 2012 23:05

Quoting: tsvoyager
I hope they didn't catch me watering the trees. I'd hate to have that posted for 4 or 5 years:

just watering and watering...always watering the trees.hee hee.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.