Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Happy 4th to you!!!
neb
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 18:31

Went to the shack this morning and had a great time. I went down to the river and caught some cats. I cooked them up and boy they where good. Some melted butter and flour, pepper, seasoning and they where good!!! Have a great day.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 18:54

Happy 4th.....Im staying in the house all day! It's to hot out there for me at 107 degrees...I'll come out next week though!! Lucky I can see the fireworks from the front window...

cabingal3
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 21:10

Happy july4th to all.
hope your day is wonderful.
neb,the catfish sounds so good.
we had our july 4th meal.hamburgers,stuffed eggs,corn on the cob and i made stove top baked beans.sure all good.
going for a walk soon.happy day to all.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 22:14 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
...Im staying in the house all day! It's to hot out there for me at 107 degrees

I ventured out earlier...to WalMart, LOL what a thrill that was!!! The closer to the front of the store we got the hotter it was and of course we needed something in each end and side of the store-argh!

Working up the guts to go outside and sit on the side of the hill to watch the fireworks........

neb
# Posted: 4 Jul 2012 22:23

cabingal3
I have never eat cat fish in my life!!! I have caught many but never took them home. They where awesome and I will keep them from now on. Have a great 4th!!!!!!!!

brokeneck
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 00:30

Back at ya Neb -- Here's to Liberty and Independence !!

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 09:56 - Edited by: TomChum

Yes independence from Britain! I'm reading a story by a US woman (Betty Lussier) who did everything she could to GO to Britain to help defend THEM from the German invasion (before U.S. entry to WWII in Europe). She was 21 years old, a pilot, and was continually turned down being a girl, but eventually got on, "allowed" to ferry fighter planes, cargo planes in hundreds of crossings to Europe.

We had a GREAT 4th. Family and projects!

Cut a new trail to the creek refrigeration pool so when we walk there to get cold drinks out, can make a round trip. Leveled two new tentsites with the Kubota. Added 2nd solar panel, getting 12-14 Amps. Made a slingshot with 3/8" bungee, found that it launches a large handful of watermelon rinds to kingdom come - very handy for redneck composting. Went on a family dirtbike ride to ridgetop, (4 1/2 hour ride) , had sandwiches and left for town to watch July 4th fireworks on the river. Then back to cabin after midnite.

July 5th made a bouncy swing with ten feet of 1/2" bungees, that the girls have pronounced is the best swing ever. It hangs on a 50-foot cross-rope between 2 trees and to get on you need an 8 foot ladder.

I completely disassembled Grandpa's old daisy BBgun, found the problem, and re-assembled it, and then there was target practice, which I was surprised there was such interest by the girls. I'm lucky they have some interest in play that I did as a kid.

Then the girls caught two young chipmunks with a classical box/stick/string trap and proceeded to terrorize them with short cuddling sessions. This all came to kind of a screaming halt when the girls received a text message of a very important developing sleepover opportunity in the city, and now they badly wanted to go home. I assume the need to share intelligence ABOUT specific boys advanced to the point where it could no longer commence by text message alone. I was running out of entertainment ideas anyway......but was very happy to have a good time with the GIRLS before they change into little women. With luck a few more of these fun memories....

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 12:40

Quoting: TomChum
made a bouncy swing with ten feet of 1/2" bungees, that the girls have pronounced is the best swing ever. It hangs on a 50-foot cross-rope between 2 trees and to get on you need an 8 foot ladder.

OMG SWEET!!!!!!! You have to post a picture!!!!! Did you dream this idea up yourself?

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 18:07 - Edited by: TomChum

The idea escalated to the point where 'the girls' had to tell 'the mom' to "just go in the cabin and don't worry about it". It's not a 'safe' child plaything. For example I would think very hard before letting any "other" kids (who I don't trust to follow my 'rules') use this swing or goof around while on it, or even use the ladder. A 1/2" bungeecord stores a lot of dangerous energy.

Take a look at what these guys do with their little sister, an ATV and a bungee.
Double-bungee swing
Double-bungee swing

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 19:43

OMG, OMG, OMG.........................................THAT IS JUST NUTS!!!!!!!!

I HAD A HEART ATTACK FOR HER!!!!!!!

OK...I think I will just keep the bungee swing to myself and try to erase the image of that video from my mind...I'm traumatized for that girl!!!!!

neb
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 20:08

I could not believe anyone would try that!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 20:25

I know neb...I was watching the 4 wheeler go, and go, and go, and go, and go and OMG...I can't believe the girl tried that and I can't believe her brothers did that either!!! Sooooooooo many things could have gone wrong!!!!

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 21:24 - Edited by: TomChum

I assume, that it 'escalated'.....

And that by the time little sister agreed to strap in, that she'd seen it 50 times already. A Bungee is very reliable. I don't know how it could fail, maybe if they are not inspecting it regularly. Eventually, if theres no one around with some smarts and knowledge, its going to fail. Like if the 'ends' let go. Thats one serious problem with making a bungee swing, as I did, it's difficult to explain how to make safe 'loops' at the ends. Bungee doesn't knot like normal rope.

I'm half tempted to 'retire' our bungee swing while its still a good memory.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 21:32

While I watched the video I feared that she was going to fly right out of the harness!

TomChum
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 00:30

Yes it does make the heart beat faster!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.