Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Want to build snow sled/Help
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 15:52

I have wanted to build a snow sled for me to pull in to shack and for ice fishing in the winter. I have looked around on the web but not sure how to make runners. i want it to be as light as possiable but still a working sled. It could be like a musher sled type also. Any help in building one or ideas would be appreciated.

Just
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:17

I have built many but i have had no better than my preasent one ,I' ts a 40 x by 20 in black plastic one i bought at gander mountain for 25.00 $ it has 8 in sides and a strong tow rope ,sides are 8 in deep will hold all i want to pull . way to go neb coooooooool thought's i feel better just thiinking about snow .i'd send a pic but it's put away till winter..

neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 16:49

Quoting: Just
i feel better just thiinking about snow

Yep it is one hot SOG here as well!!! I could buy one that is no problem. I love to tinker and build things. The rewards are much greater and the challenge in building something that you can is awesome. It also keeps me busy in mind and physically.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 20:02

I did my best work on this build.

Owen
sled to haul wood
sled to haul wood

neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 20:32

I have thought long and hard on getting one of those sleds. I would have to stop working if I get to many more fun things to do.LOL
Owen how would you make the runners???

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 22:07

First I build a cabin, then I give it to a guys who works for Arctic Cat and he builds the runners.

Owen

neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 22:46

I'm not sure we are on the same page. I'm looking to build a wood sled and wondering about the wood runners that would slide over the snow. Sorry about that.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 23:13

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to be flippent. I have built sleds with a plastic strips from cooler doors. Another one with downhill snow skis.

Malamute
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 09:03

I just did a google search, it showed some information.

I did "building a dog sled"

TomChum
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 12:50 - Edited by: TomChum

If it's going to be a utilitarian sled....

..... you can put snowboards on a garden trailer. Which is also useful the rest of the year.

I got the snowboards at a rental shop for $10 each. Snowboards have a very usable array of threaded metal (M6x1.0 metric) holes in them. I made a wood box that the tire presses tightly into. This box is bolted to the snowboard threaded holes.

At first I had a nylon cargo hold down ratchet-strap over the tire but quit using it, found them to be completely unnecessary. You have to go slow anyway if the track is rough and since eliminating them there has been no hint that the wheels could ever jump out of the boxes. Had a little trouble with the mountain sled overheating because you can't just go roaring off into the fresh powder to cool off (with a trailer). You can of course, but if you get stuck you are really stuck. I have not tried the trailer with ice scratchers too.

In my case I often have to use a gravel road for up to a mile and it helps to be able to take the boards off and run the wheels on the gravel. Now that I discovered how easy it is to use when the runners come off/on so easy.

I'm going to add some little angle-iron keels to the boards so it can't slide sideways around the turns. I think way in the back so they can flex up if necessary.
Garden trailer with Snowboard runners.  Recommended to add narrow 'keels' to the bottom of the board
Garden trailer with Snowboard runners. Recommended to add narrow 'keels' to the bottom of the board
Transporting the family.  Cargo straps over tires - now I go strapless..
Transporting the family. Cargo straps over tires - now I go strapless..

aktundra
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 22:02 - Edited by: aktundra

Tom Chum that trailer is great!

I think a dogsled style isn't the best for behind a snowmachine. If you do want to build a dogsled style, you need to steam bend the runners. White ash, oak, birch are good woods to use. You want to laminate the wood together with Titebond or something similar and add a protective oil.

I use a UHMW sled. It is very light, hauls alot, and won't crack in the cold which is extremely important up here. I haul 500-1500lbs on my 10' UHMW sled. This might be overkill for your ice hut.

These sleds are durable! This comes from Northern Sledworks website. They make great sleds but are very pricey. Buying UHMW from superslide.com is a good source.

Another popular inexpensive option is qamutik. These are excellent freight sleds without the UHMW price. While UHMW runners aren't necessary, putting them on the bottom of qamutik really helps. I don't have a picture but here's what I pull of the internet.

aktundra
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 22:18 - Edited by: aktundra

I have attached some more ideas for you. The Qamutiik is probably the best freight sled for the money.

I know people are also happy with the Otter sled. It cracks/breaks after -30 but warm weather folks seem happy with it.

AKTundra
explore-build-do.blogspot.com
Variation on Qamutiik
Variation on Qamutiik
Qamutiik_or_Wooden_s.pdfAttached file: Here are some plans I got off the web

neb
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 23:41

aktundra
That is what I'm looking for. I will build one just about like that one. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Jul 2012 00:50

My garden cart on snowboards floats over the snow. If i have to turn around I just unhook it and spin it, almost like its on wheels, on pavement. I'd be suprised if a sled on long runners would do that. This is essential when you get stuck. A snowmobile has almost no pulling power if its not moving forward onto new snow, this is something to seriously consider if you're in the mountains. You have to be easily able to turn the trailer around and re-attach it downhill to make another uphill run.

Anyway while i almost always prefer the aesthetics of classical designs and would enjoy building and using a wooden sled like that above, i don't think it would be as useful (for my usage in the mountains). I only have to go 3 or 4 miles to go. Long sled on runners looks stable for longdistance flatter terrain, and for speed. Those UMHW sleds look like they'd work well but I bet they're pricey, and I'd cringe if I got caught on a bare stretch of gravel.

aktundra
# Posted: 17 Jul 2012 22:07

The great thing about building is you build what you want for what you need! Tom's design is really slick for road/snow travel. It reminds me of wheel skis on a plane. I wasn't trying to come off as bashing your design Tom... It took me many years to figure out a design to haul all my stuff 30 miles to the cabin. The biggest design input was for the black lab that can't run the whole way that I built a box for to stay warm.

Neb - post some pictures of your sled! It will be interesting to see what you build!

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 00:03 - Edited by: Malamute

I like the basket sleds, it gives a place for someone to ride, either sitting in the basket or riding the back runners and holding the handlebars. Guess someone could ride on top of the flat sleds too.

bobbotron
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 10:36

I used old cross country skis as runners for my pulk, maybe this will give you some ideas.

bobbotron
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 13:59

I made that pulk from scratch, but it's pretty simple to build, I got the skis off of freecycle.

Here's a photo of the whole setup. You can carry a ton with it, though it gets pretty hard to ski after a certain point. ;)

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 22:21

Quoting: bobbotron
I used old cross country skis as runners for my pulk, maybe this will give you some ideas

now this is pretty crafty.we could get some old ski's at a yard sale or thrift store.love this.it would come in so handy in the winter when we cant get to our woods by driving.we could sure use this.thanks for posting this bobbotron.

neb
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 22:57

There is some great idea's!!!! I will keep my eyes open for som ski's also.

aktundra
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 23:06

bobbotron -

Nice! How did you attach the skis to the wood? I tried countersinking screws in another project I did (with homemade runners) but there wasn't much to grab.

neb
# Posted: 18 Jul 2012 23:50

Quoting: aktundra
Nice! How did you attach the skis to the wood? I tried countersinking screws in another project I did (with homemade runners) but there wasn't much to grab.

Looks like a good setup but wondering the same thing!!!

bobbotron
# Posted: 19 Jul 2012 10:31

Thanks for the kind words on my pulk, glad you like it!

I took 4 small pieces of maple (3/4" x 2" x 3"ish), mounted a large bolt in it, and screwed 2 to each ski with about 6 wood screws a piece. This let me easily attach and detach the skis from the base. I don't have a photo of this, but will take some this weekend if there's interest.

It also let me create a temporary generator moving platform last winter, using the skis and a sheet of plywood!

aktundra
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 21:55

I saw a sled on Backwoods Homes Website. It reminded me of this topic, so I thought I would add it to the list of ideas!

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/moessle138.html

neb
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 14:08

I went back to revisit this tread since I never have built a sled yet. The last few years haven't been a problem with deep snow so it went on the back burner.

Yesterday I went to a second hand store they usually have old used ski's but didn't of course this time. I have a few other ideas and will keep my eyes open for material that I can find cheap or give away items that I can build one out of.

Thanks again for the great ideas and if you any more or have built one post them here.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 20:58

The easiest way to go is with an "Expedition sled from Aubuchon Hardware.
https://www.hardwarestore.com/147520/paris-expedition-sled-orange-6598320

I built one 3 years ago and it has served me well.
Heres a video of mine.
https://youtu.be/AtZKBICMI-I

Most people just use pvc pipe to pull them but I used fiberglass rods and pvc.

neb
# Posted: 22 Jan 2017 21:53 - Edited by: neb

Very nice and thanks. I really enjoy your videos and build great job. It reminded me of my build but I had to sled a or carry everything up by hand and foot.

The sled idea was great. I need it to haul small loads of wood up and also to transport to and from when I go. For right now I have one mile to cabin on foot to get there.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 12:20

The road to my cabin is only plowed so far. Once the snow goes much over a foot I don't trust the truck going in without getting stuck.
I've got a mile or so on the road remaining but if I cut through the pines on the property the snow is much less
I've used a toboggan and snow shoes with great success. I've even hauled in the wife when chemo had her weaken.
The large plastic bins with latching tops is what I used and the toboggan had lashing points which was easy to secure them.

tasteoftaiga
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 16:04

The rope lashed Qamutik, as posted by aktundra is the best route. The rope lashing allows it to flex over bumps and dips. Over time this flexing will loosen the ropes. The key being it's easy to tighten rope out on the trail, but a similar sled that was built with screws and nails would shake itself apart and not be easily fixed.

Plastic/fiberglass toboggans are great also, I use an equinox (polar model) and it's held up well. However whenever I have had to haul lumber or heavy loads to the cabin I have always used a friends Qamutik. I plan to build my own, they work awesome.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jan 2017 16:47

Last winter I built a sled for my son for his ice fishing gear. I used a pair of old downhill skis attached to an ice fishing sled using wooden blocks. The design is nice because it easily comes apart for easier transportation. I have not used it but my son tells me his 100 lb girlfriend can easily pull all their gear with ease. The design I used is based on the "smitty sled" if you Google smitty sled you will find lots of pics.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.