Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Homemade parka?
Livefree
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 18:40

Hello all,
I have been slowly becoming almost obsessed with becoming self sustaining and having a little farm and cabin in the woods, etc. So a lot of day dreaming. To make a long story short, I want to make my own parka for the winter. It gets pretty cold here -40 C, so it's gotta be warm. Has anyone done/thought about doing this? I'm thinking about making it from an angora goat hide as I know where to get those from (i don't know any hunters). Does anyone have any info, advice, patterns???

musherpeg
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:08

I don't make my parkas. Usually get the Trans-Alaska anorak from Cabelas. I love this parka! It stands up to interior Alaska weather (weeks of 40 below and colder), sled dogs, greasy sled dog food, winter camping, wind etc. Right now Cabelas said they are sold out so not sure if they'll be making more. I hope so! I like the anorak too because I just slip it over my head and no zippers.

You might want to contact Kristen at Hoarfrost Huskies. They homestead on Great Slave Lake and she makes the outdoor clothing for her family.

Alternatively I have friends, Linda and Garth, who run Polar Parkas in Yellowknife. Do a google search for them and contact them. They are really nice folks and would probably be happy to answer your questions.

Good luck and post a picture of the finished product!

Peg

Livefree
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 21:16

Thanks Peg I'll check it out!
Handmade by someone else is good too ;) lol

We'll see how much I get done before I need it.

Winter is coming..

Olivia, northern Alberta

Malamute
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 23:43 - Edited by: Malamute

There's a self made gear section over on the bushcraft site. There may be some how-to things there. One guys wife makes eskimo parkas for the family (they life in far northwest AK), don't know if they make them to sell, but think she sells smaller craft stuff she makes.

If you get over there and decide to sign up, send me a PM and I'll help you find the eskimo guy.

livefree
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 12:03

Cool thanks, I just saw you post something about this site in a different forum and was thinking about checking it out.

Is it the Canadian or US one?

Malamute
# Posted: 23 Jul 2012 15:58

The US one. If you google bushcraft, (bushcraftusa) it's the first thing up. Go to the forum instead of the portal.

I recall there being a couple coat topics in the past, I dont recall if any were specifically parkas, but you could start one.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.