Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Making Homemade Ginger Ale
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 23:18

Getting ready to make homemade ginger ale in the morning....It will be the kind you add yeast to to produce the bubbles....next maybe rootbeer??

exsailor
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 09:10

Sounds great sitting on the front porch drinking a cool tall one. I have looked at this as well. I tried one batch of ginger ale and it was less than great, but still drinkable. Are you going to use a vapor lock or let it gas to open air? Don't tighten the lid and forget it or you will make an organic bomb. Post the recipe and how it turns out. I am thinking about sarsaparilla Best of luck and happy sipping.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 09:37

+1 to exsailors request to share your recipe... and results.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 12:41

If it turns out, I'd like the recipe too!

exsailor
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 09:19

Since I begged a recipe here is what I used with tolerable results. Then again I ran a vapor lock and let it ferment longer figgering on more kick, so I didn't follow the recipe exactly:
So, here's what I used to make a delicious ginger beverage:
• 2 litre bottle of still mineral water
• large chunk of root ginger (you need 1½ to 2 tablespoons of grated ginger)
• 1 lemon
• 1 cup of sugar
• ¼ teaspoon of dried yeast
You'll also need a grater to grate the ginger, and a plastic funnel. I didn't have a funnel, but you really need one. Trust me on this.
"Hey idiot, why did you buy a bottle of water instead of using tap water?" Well, you need a two litre bottle to make the ginger beer in, and London tap water isn't the nicest in the world. So I spared no expense and spent 18p on a bottle of Sainsbury's Still Table Water and killed two birds with one stone. If you already have a clean two litre bottle, and your tap water is ok, then feel free to use that. Or try a nice expensive mineral water if that sort of thing tickles your fancy.
Now that's out of the way, here's what I did next:

1) Lay all your ingredients out to make sure you haven't forgotten anything.

2) Decant the water into a suitable temporary container (skip this step if you are using tap water)

3) Using a plastic funnel, pour the sugar into the bottle. (if you don't have a funnel fashion one out of paper like me)

4) Add the dried yeast to the bottle.

5) Now, grate the ginger until you have between 1½ and 2 tablespoon's worth. I used 2 tablespoons because I really like ginger, but feel free to vary this according to your tastes. Also, you may wish to cut the skin off before grating. I'm lazy so I left it all on.

6) Next, extract the juice from one lemon.

7 ) Mix the grated ginger and lemon juice together in a cup or other suitable piece of crockery.

8) Next you need to add the ginger/lemon mixture to the bottle. This is where a plastic funnel comes in really handy. for some reason paper funnels don't work so well once wet.

9) Now, you need to add the water to the bottle. Fill it up until it is about ¾ full, then put the cap on and shake the bottle until all the sugar is dissolved.

10) You then need to top the bottle up until there is approximately a one inch gap at the top. This gap is to prevent explosions once the yeast gets to work.

11) Put the cap on the bottle as tightly as you can, then place the bottle somewhere warm. I put mine in my airing cupboard. You'll need to leave it for 24-48hours to let the yeast go to work. Once the bottle is very hard, and can't be squeezed, the ginger beer is done. It took 24 hours for my batch to be ready.

12) Place the bottle in the fridge overnight. This halts the yeast and stops the bottle exploding. You really don't want to leave that bottle in a warm place for any longer than 48 hours.

13) Once the ginger beer is chilled, pour it into a glass and enjoy. I sieve mine when pouring so I don't have any lumps of ginger in the drink.
And there you have it. 2 litres of delicious ginger beer for around 90p and very little effort.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 19:10

I have been busy this week and did not get to making the ale yet! I will be using a balloon on the bottle instead of a cap to help with pressure build up! Works great....grandma taught us that!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.