Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / Tall Cabin Tales - Chilling Campfire Stories
. 1 . 2 . >>
jvgo
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 14:29

Do you have any tall cabin tales to tell? Spooky stories you tell around the campfire? With halloween around the corner its a good time to share any real, imagined, made up, or otherwise concocted stories of things that may have happened while at the cabin. Had a close encounter with sasquatch, UFO's, will-o'-wisps, lightning balls, spirits (other than Jack Daniels), alien encounters? Lets hear about it. Do you have any campfire stories guaranteed to scare the crap out of people around the campfire on a crisp autumn night? Lets hear them. Doesn't have to be factual, a good tall tale will do. Now is the chance show off your writing skills.

jvgo
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 14:32

I'll start off with a tall tale yarn....

Not really a ghost story but here goes... Not too far from the cabin is a big public game lands that i used to hunt a lot. well one afternoon i'm hunting, just me and my old Mossberg 12 gauge pump gun. i was walking a trail back towards the Jeep and realized it was getting dark fast. so i found this little narrow trail that was going in the general direction of the trail to my vehicle so i figured i would cut some time and use it. never been down it before. so anyways, i'm walking a bit and i get to this old cemetary in the middle of the woods. a typical old pennsylvania type cemetary. old broken down wrought iron fence all around, old fashioned tombstones leaning over, graves all sunk in and gnarly trees growing up through everywhere. so i start looking at some the old tombstones. they were all from late 1700's, early 1800's. i found this one that was from a young girl. i think she was about 12 or 15 when she died. i read the enscription and my hair stood on end. i still remember most of it, and at the end was this part:

"As you are now, so once was I, as I am now, so you shall be. So take my hand now and come with me."

Well, picture being alone, in strange, darkening woods, in an old graveyard and reading that. I hightailed it out of there with the Mossberg at port arms, with my neck hairs at full attention. no ghosts or nothing, but scary. i told it to my kids and they always want me to repeat it when we are doing ghost stories around the fire, late at night.

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 19:15

Back in 92,I bought an old house built in the 1810's to 1840's and the lady that owned it said to me ,this place is haunted by the guy that built it so beware.I said she was nut;s they ain't no such thing.So for the next 15 years,I restored this old house to it's original glory.There was an old charcoal scetch of this dude that built this house(died in 1814) we framed and hung it in the hall way.One night in the middle of the night,this picture fell to the floor??? scared the hell out of us.I said to the dude,Thank you for finally moving on!No explination,the nail that held the picture ,fine.Sooooo,yah got tah wonder!

hattie
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 19:19 - Edited by: hattie

Do you smell ghosts? Well, kind of.....After we moved into our place full time, I commented to hubby that I could smell chocolate. He came to where I was sitting and said he didn't smell anything. Then a few days later I smelled candy. Again, hubby didn't smell anything. It was driving me nuts. I would smell candy or chocolate for a short time and then the smell went away. Later on I was doing some research on the history of our town and found out that where our cabin sits, there used to be a confectionary! I still occasionally smell chocolate or candy, but since I understand the history a bit more, it doesn't bother me. Weird, huh?

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 21:45

I could fill this thread with more accounts of real situations that my wife and I have found ourselves involved in...but I'll share this one. My house is one of the oldest in a decent sized city. It originally was constructed for personnel logistics for a large company that built cranes. The migrant workers arrived via a train and were classified for work in my home and the identical one across the street. Anyway, it has quite a lot of history and I'm sure a wealth of stories that have long been forgotten or gone untold. Anyway, when we moved it...it was obvious that the house felt lonely and abandoned. It had been vacant for over a year and the general mood I had was that it didn't feel like anything. More like a void than anything else. Within the first week or so, it was obvious that we were not living in a home that was void of anything. It began with the sound of large panes of glass shattering at 2AM in the morning, the thuds of heavy boots walking up and down our stairs, door closing and/or opening, water faucets turning on full force whenever it was convenient. Finally, it had gotten to the point that I had had enough of these disturbances. I made a strongly worded demand that they cease. From that point on, we've not dealt with any more unusual occurrences with the exception of one that we sorta like...

In our basement, when doing wash, every now and then we'll smell a strong odor of "old people" that smells like moth balls and cigarette smoke. One day, while changing a few loads of laundry, I caught out of the corner of my eye the appearance of an old lady with a broom in her hand sweeping the floor. She was short, wore an old fashioned shawl over her dark dress that seemed (it was a quick shot here) lacy. When I turned to inspect this abbarration closely, she was gone, but the smell of cigarettes and moth balls remained for some time. I did some investigating. The caretaker of our home when it was used by the crane company was an elderly woman that smoked like a chimney. She made the meals for the men and cleaned the offices / sleeping rooms. She really enjoyed the place and was always seen cleaning or taking care of something that made our home hospitable for the residents. Could have this been her? Maybe...So, whenever I catch that faint smell of cigarettes and moth balls in the basement, I smile and say, "Place looks great! Thank you for keeping it so tidy Ma'am!"

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 23:54

DaJTCHA....you sent shivers down my spine as I sit here in the dark by myself reading this thread.....eeew!
I have this story that I tell all my new homebuyers before we go look at potential homes for them to buy....they ask me now if a house feels good or not!
As a Realtor I go in many homes in a day. On one such day my buyers and I arrived at a home that was an all brick tudor with a sweeping roof line and dark brown shingles and trim. It was a bright sunny day and the instructions for entering the home were to get the key out of the lock box on the side door....I like to have my buyers enter the home through the front door becasue that is your first impression. I sent them out to the back yard to look around and told them to meet me at the front door when they were ready... I entered the home through the side door which opened into the hallway off the kitchen....as I made my way through the kitchen I heard foot steps upstairs (this home was vacant). I yelled out "hello" but got no response. I proceeded throught the living room to the front foyer and to the base of the stairs leading up to the second floor...as I turned around to look up the stairs I felt the coldest rush of air blow right through me and then past me... Now mind you I can sometimes feel if a house has "good vibes" or "bad vibes" and that rush of air was not good....I proceeded to open the front door to let in my clients....just as I turned the nob, foot steps walked right behind me and right up the stairs in a pissed off stomping manor! These things do not usually scare me, and most of the time I have good encounters, however this made me want to get out of this house ASAP...I opened the front door with my fake "retail smile" and the buyers asked me what was wrong and that I looked like I had seen a ghost! I did not even have an answer... needless to say they understood and chose not to go in.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 10:20

Sustainusfarm-

From an early age, I've had been "in tuned" with vibes that many could not understand. I'll tell you another story, as this is right up your alley, when I was in my teens, my parents were looking to purchase a new home and we continued to look within the community that I now reside with my family. There is this one big home, many porches off multiple sides and levels, old style colonial design with large rooms and ceilings. For appearance sake, it was absolutely beautiful and the asking price was somewhat on the "bargain" end of things. My parents and I entered the home and they asked for me to poke around a bit and get a feel for the place. My mom was somewhat oblivious to the fact that although the place looked super, there was a bad vibe as soon as I walked in the door I felt it. I found the source, as sometimes is the case, it is usually concentrated in places. The old walk out root cellar was the source. If you can imagine having the energy sucked out of you and your bright sunny day going from full of life to rainy, cold and nothing but vacuum...this is the felling that I got when descending the stairs to the cellar. I opened the cellar door to the backyard (the house was built on a hill) and took a few steps near the door. Suddenly I felt this overwhelming need to escape. It was as if something was keeping me there against my will, forcing me to stop in my tracks and not leave the cellar just two feet into sunshine and warmth of a beautiful spring day. I froze for awhile, trying to "feel" what it was, why it was, who is was that I was getting this impression from. You know in horror films when they do that fast flash of chaos during the kills / chase scenes to make you feel like things are crazy. I began to get these impressions...I heard my father's footsteps behind me coming down the staircase and he called my name loudly which broke me out of a frozen state. "C'mon! We're leaving. Now!", he said. I found out why when we exited the home. He had immediately felt what I was experiencing full force when he came down to find me and take a look around. I should point out that he's very much a skeptic when it comes to these sort of things. He said that he didn't know what was going on, but it didn't feel like anything good and he knew that there was no way we were buying this house to live in! LOL!

BTW, that house has been bought and sold many, many times while I've lived in the community. I wonder why?

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 12:18

I too, once had a very strange occurrence about 3 1/2 years ago while at our home. I was feeling very distraught at the time over the death of a loved one. I was all alone in our bedroom and was laying face down on the bed. Suddenly there was the feel of the bed shifting as someone lay down beside me and I could hear them breathing-somewhat labored. It, of course, startled me and I shot up to see who was there. I saw nothing, my bedroom door was still shut, and I no longer heard anything after that. Though I was startled...it really didn't leave me scared. It was not threatening but also not real reassuring. I definitely know I did not dream it as I was for sure wide awake at the time. It was strange.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:01

I swear this is the last story I'm going to share! Like I said, I've got many...

When my beautiful daughter was born to us, we were the proudest parents that walk the face of the earth. You could cut the "love" for her with a knife as we showered her with our affection and cuddle her endlessly. There was something extra special about this old-soul. It is quite obvious to me that I've known her before. When she was small, I would look into her eyes and know that these weren't my babies eyes I was looking at, that they were windows into a energy that I've been around before and shared life with before this plane. We think alike, we have non-verbal communication down to a science, I know what she's thinking and same goes for her almost all the time. I've often told her, because she still is my shining light in a world full of darkness, that I'm so extremely happy and privileged that she chose us (my wife and I) to be her parents, etc. (She's 15 now!). When we took her home from the hospital, we were excited and nervous. It was like we got the most fragile new toy and we wanted to make sure that we did everything right. Looking back, we were way over protective, but it was all in the name of love and for the better. When we arrived home to an apartment that we were renting, I got this distinct feeling that we had brought something else home with us. It wasn't evil or negative, but I just had this vibe that my new baby daughter wasn't alone. She had a companion that followed us home from the hospital and hitched a ride in our car. I kept this suspicion to myself until I figured out that my suspicions were accurate. One day, I had my little bubba on my chest and we were laying on the couch together. I was watching TV and getting a little tired, so I turned off the television and started to snooze a little. I know, you're not supposed to fall asleep with a newborn slobbering away on your chest snoring loudly, but I can share that at that point...I was only a few years removed from "training" that teaches you how to sleep and not sleep at the same time (we'll leave it at that). She was safe with me, so save the lecture please! So as I started to doze off a bit, I hear this loud crack! I open one eye and looking into the reflection in the glass face of the TV I see an elderly man with a old style leather kangol hat, jean coat, plaid shirt, jeans and pants. He had somewhat wrinkled and tan skin with a healthy salt and pepper beard.

OK, at this point, I'm thinking of the logistics of how to place my baby, reach my weapon and deal with this obvious threat just off to my right and behind me (as the reflection made it look). I tilt my head over to see his position directly and he's not there. I look back into the TV reflection and he is...I look back to his position directly he isnt there...back to the TV...he's gone.

From that point on, I called him "Henry". Henry stayed with us for about the first year and a half of my daughter's life. I often thought that when my baby giggled and babbled on in her room (to no one) that it was Henry keeping her occupied until we picked her up from the crib at the end of nap time. I caught her once, by peeking through her slightly open bedroom door, sitting up and clapping her hands while looking into empty space. This went on for a while, like she was communicating with someone or playing a game or something. I felt he was kind soul that was as attracted to my daughter's bright and pure energy as we were as parents. When we were moving from the apartment to our current home back 13.5 years ago, I asked that Henry seek the light. That he was very helpful and we appreciated him taking care of and protecting our child, but it was time to reunite with the Divine Energy Source and be amongst his circle of souls. From that point on, we never felt or saw him again.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:14 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: DaJTCHA
I had my little bubba on my chest and we were laying on the couch together.

That's the best...and yeah...you're not suppose to fall asleep-we know...but it is the best feeling in the world isn't it, they just mold right into you

I wanna sit around a campfire and hear more! Who brought the Smores???

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:18

LOL! If I keep this up, people are going to be convinced that the face on the photo I provided in the other thread is an accurate extension of the wacko person I truly am on the inside! LOL! Got to keep them guessing!

I'll let some others contribute and then I'll share a story about moving objects that everyone in the family caught. The look on my kids faces were priceless. LOL! I was like, "I TOLD YOU SO!" to my wife who had grown a bit skeptical of all these "stories" that I'd share with her over the years. NOT ANY MORE!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:24

Quoting: DaJTCHA
LOL! If I keep this up, people are going to be convinced that the face on the photo I provided in the other thread is an accurate extension of the wacko person I truly am on the inside! LOL!

I already had that thought

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:30

You and a whole host of others, I would imagine?!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:36

Well DaJTCHA, all our unique personalities are what makes the world go around...and keeps this forum interesting too!!!

Now seriously...did you bring the makings for Smores??? I'm having a serious craving!

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:58

Sorry, I always force someone else (through guilt) to make me s'mores! LOL!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 14:51

Oh you're one of those!!! LOL

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 14:59

I don't force the guilt, it is inferred because I'm usually the one cooking all the meals for everyone! LOL! I get desert served to me...that's the rules and if you don't like it, there's the footpath out of camp! LOL!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 15:43

Hey now...that is a different story then! If you were cooking all my meals for me, I would be more than happy to serve you up dessert!

jvgo
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 17:54

Another tall tale...

2010, I had just bought a Jeep Liberty and drove it to the cabin in late December. I was looking forward to trying out the four wheel drive in the first snow storm that was predicted to happen that weekend. The storm eventually happens and after about 6 or 7 inches, I take the Jeep for a ride in the woods not far from my cabin. Its about 11pm and I'm on a old dirt logging road about 100 yards from the main dirt road just kinda cruisin along pretty slow, 3 or 4 miles an hour. Its snowing pretty hard and Im thinking to myself, this is really cool, feeling really happy with my new Jeep four wheel drive experience. Its kinda windy and im watching the snow fall from right to left, streaking across my wind shield when all of the sudden from just in reach of my headlights, i see a small black dog run out of the bushes from my left, onto the logging road and disappear into the dark in front of me. Im kinda shocked at what i just saw and slow down a little bit more to a slight crawl when all of the sudden, from the exact same spot, moving the same direction, a young kid, couldnt have been more than 4 foot tall, runs out of the bushes seemingly chasing the small dog. The kid was dressed in dark pants, what looked like a red short sleeve t-shirt and had some sort of dark hooded cape on. I could make out the t-shirt because the cape flapped in the wind and i caught a glimpse of the skin on his arms and i could also tell the cape was attached to his body via a hood, like what you would find on a hooded sweatshirt. At this point im really stunned, its 11pm, its cold, its snowing, its dark, i was well into the woods and there wasnt a house for miles. So I follow the prints in the snow and after another 50 or so yards I get this really creepy feeling like I should hit the brakes, back up and forget the whole thing, but I didnt and about 10 or 15 more yards, I roll up on the edge of a somewhat fast moving and pretty wide stream, and thats where the foot prints ended. nothing to the left, nothing to the right, just ended right at the edge of the stream. Very strange... Sometime later I learned from some locals that 8-9 years earlier there was an ATV accident where a young boy was killed while trying to cross that very same stream....

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 22:45

Thanks to you all...I am sleeping with the TV and the lights on tonight!!
DaJTCHA...I must be getting a reputation because just today I had a client ask me if the the house I was showing them was ok for them to buy! I fully understand the "frozen in place feeling", the feeling of "I just have to get out of here!" and the vaccuum effect of the happy,sunny day being sucked out of you...happens to me at least twice a week and sometimes more now that I am selling more foreclosures that have bad experiences attached to them....

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 20:07

BOOOO!

LOL Susf......you better go change your undies now!

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 08:51

last time at our cabin.i sit in the out house with the door open so i can see on our other property.i am gonna start taking a gun with me when i sit in the outhouse.i saw a rabbit hop down the trail.then i looked away for a second and then i saw the tail end of a huge long furry tail going the other way from wince the rabbit came from.
i got up and ran for my gun.and headed the way i saw the tail come from.well i saw a huge cats head poke up out of the tall grass.i could not really tell if it was a feral cat or a wild cat.what cat has such a furry long tail.furry like a fox and so big?i never saw its body.now i am thinking it is some kind of big cat hiding out in our old open trailer.that thing needs to come down.the cat just looked at me and i looked at it.i ran to get another bigger gun than my little air rifle.then it was gone.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 08:58

i found out our cabin is in thievery flats.omg.we have left everything out to go 60 miles away.nothing is ever touched.sometimes i get spooked .one nite after reading a scarey book.i woke up and laid there thinking..what if someone came and looked into our kitchen windows and had shining lites so brite?why they could see our tiny cabin clean thru.they could see us sleeping and then i thought "we keep our hachets right at the front door,on the outside of the cabin"-bad people could just ax the door in.then i thought-by then we would have shot them...but sure scary.then i tell myself no more scary books before i go to sleep.other than this i tell my self our woods are my yard.a big yard with wild animals about.

bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 10:39

cabingal3, sounds like you need a good dog to keep watch! Last year we fostered two dogs, a hyper wacky one and a big lovable lug. Between the two of them and our old dog we felt pretty darn safe at the cottage, it'd be tough luck for any critters that got in their way.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 17:24

Quoting: bobbotron
cabingal3, sounds like you need a good dog to keep watch!

i think this is right.

DaJTCHA
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 18:14

Ok...here's the last story I'm going to share regarding the extra-ordinary occurrences in my home. Some years back I had tried to convince my wife that we've got a young playful spirit in the house. I got this feeling that it was just a mischievous sort, nothing harmful, that enjoyed moving things and messing with me. Yes, I know what you're thinking. This guy's blaming a "spirit" for losing his keys, misplacing all kinds of things, when afterall...it is his failing memory. I'll change that thought process in a minute, but it was the same feeling shared by my wife! LOL! So, one day we're all sitting in the front room. My wife and 2 children are watching the TV and I'm sitting in front of my computer. Just within my peripheral vision is a little tyke kitchen playset and on top of it is a shoe box size storage container with a two lids, one that was fastened to it and another from another box left on top. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the plastic lid elevate about 6" off the lid fastened to the box. It creeps ever so slowly up into the air and suspends itself there floating. I try my best not to make any sudden moves because I want someone else to catch what I'm seeing. I very slowly, keeping my head still and faking that I'm still typing on the computer, strain to turn my eyes as far in my sockets toward the floating lid and in this new sight line am then able to see whether my daughter's head is either angled toward the tv behind me or if she's catching this event with me. Well as luck would have it, her eyes are as big as barn owls! She's staring straight at the lid and then staring straight at me! LOL!

All I hear is Daaaaaaaddddddddyyyyyyyyyy! She pushes the words from her lips through the immobilizing fear of seeing something floating in mid air. At that moment, the lid descends down and lands safely and almost without a sound where it was originally placed. I looked at her and smiled. My wife was looking at her, then me, then the click of the lid...I said, "I TOLD YOU SO!" LOL!

In a very similar situation, we were all assembled in the front room watching TV and my daughter and I caught my jump boots scoot about 6-8" across the floor and fall on their side. LOL! I looked over to my daughter and said, "D'you see that?" She looked at me and said, "Yep!" and we both went back to watching TV. LOL!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 19:00 - Edited by: Sustainusfarm

BOOO! Love it! This is so much fun!
Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 22:58

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!

Didn't you hate it as a kid when you would be out collecting your candy and when you rang the doorbell and said "Trick or treat!" someone would actually say "trick!" I never had any trick ready...ugh...really? hated that. LOL!

So DaJTCHA...what did you say you are on????

Malamute
# Posted: 12 Oct 2012 11:19 - Edited by: Malamute

I've had something scary happen at the cabin (home) several times.

I woke up early in the dark to let the dogs out, I open the door, the dogs and I step out onto the porch, and I instanly get the strong scent of skunk! One is under the porch! I heard the dogs back inside (they dont understand why), go to the shed and get a few moth balls, toss them under the porch, and go back to bed for a little while. They always leave, but its scary in that first instant!

Oh, I had a rattlesnake in the cabin once, that made my heart skip a beat when I stepped into the living room and he rattled! I didnt know where he was, so didnt know which was to move for a second. Had several under the porch steps also tnat I found in the dark when I came home and stepped on the step. Doesn't take long to move! Found them in the yard and barn also. The place I'm at now isnt too far away, but I've never seen a rattlesnake here, just bull snakes.

Good stories!

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Oct 2012 13:46

Quoting: Malamute
Oh, I had a rattlesnake in the cabin once, that made my heart skip a beat when I stepped into the living room and he rattled!

i would have just plain past out at this one Malamute!!
where we are...no snakes.the pumice keeps them away.thank the lord.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.