Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / F*** the Gov
. 1 . 2 . >>
lawnjocky
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 21:50

I don't want to get political but I believe the best Gov is the smallest. Obviously the country seems to be going the other way right now.

I have always believed we should be as selfsufficent as possible and live simple, non-wasteful lives. For me that is a personal choice and that is how it should be. I resent the Gov telling us how we must live in regards to an owner occupied structure or even things as personal as healthcare.

The stuff going on in our counrty and Gov right now scare me to death. I ask each of you to really think about what is going on and let your views be know to our elected officials. If you don't like their response vote them out.

I am deeply offended by officials trying to trick the voters into supporting progams that are not as represented.

End of rant

Jocko

porkchopbob
# Posted: 6 Nov 2009 00:21

you are not alone..

mtnman9876
# Posted: 17 Nov 2009 23:46

my question to you is what are we going to do about it?
What about going back to livin off the land, there is plenty of land to go around. food water and sleep is all you need to live. Not money, air-conditioning or internet. Lets protect what this country was built upon LIFE LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS

porkchopbob
# Posted: 18 Nov 2009 19:15 - Edited by: porkchopbob

I agree, but there is a huge group who want to be taken care of!
I was in a meeting with some other teachers; one actually argued that it was the Govt job to provide health care, and a place to live for all citizens. Quoting the persuit of happiness and his basis. I wanted to beat his ignorant a**, he has been a teacher 30 years, and worked with thousands of kids :{

bugs
# Posted: 18 Nov 2009 22:40

Err this may be a dumb question but, what country is "our" country? I thought this was an international forum based on the contributions I have read.

My country, Canada, has had universal health care for decades. In fact my province is supposedly the birth place of it. I like the fact that if I or anyone has cancer etc they don't have to go bankrupt trying to pay for the chemo, radiation, hospital bed, etc. I like the fact that I don't have to "pay" to see a doctor or get an Xray. I don't mind paying taxes for that service and I don't mind paying taxes so others can have that service as well.

My country was not built on LIFE LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. My country is THE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE!!!

So please if you are going to talk politics at least tell us which country you are complaining about so people can either commiserate with you, the writer, or ignore the posts as n/a.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 1 Dec 2009 07:57

Bugs, I think you are reading more into my statement than was there. I don't believe I said anything about health care. But, since you bring it up, your system isn't all that great. I have family members who live in Montreal and they go to California and Texas for their care. In fact if you look closely how Canada budgets their financil resources you will note they benifit greatly by their geographic location adjacent to the US. This location gives them a large market and allows them to spend much less on defense than they would have to otherwise. This allows for more social spending. The fact of the matter is their has never been a government program that hasn't either cut the quality or availability of services or increased the costs over what the private sector did or does.

The point of my rant is a pattern of conduct by our so called leaders to create false crisis and artificial deadlines and then to propose comprehensive solutions that bundle good ideas with ideas that wouldn't pass the smell test. They know exactly what they are doing and they usually give the proposal some nice name that is an affront to reason. Incrementally they are destroying this country. High tailing it to the mountains is an illusory escape at best.

Jocko, the all seeing lawnjockey

flatwater
# Posted: 1 Dec 2009 21:11

Jocko, Life itself is somewhat illusory the way it is being lived today. But like it or not it is still an escape and it gives one a natural high thats good for the completion.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 2 Dec 2009 08:08

I agree, like they say: row row row your boat gentle down the stream, life is but a dream.

Many years ago, I think it was 89 or 90 I was invited to meet some friends in Prague. It was a spur of the moment thing and the only flight I could get was into Heathrow so I was awake over 48 hours flying and taking buses trains and boats to get there. Prague had just opened up to Westerners at the time. In my sleep deprived state as we entered the outskirts of Prague the train past many run down country estates I had the realization that of how our society could face a similar decline.

As I see things happening here I flash back to that moment. Our society is fragile, the Rodney King riots showed us how little it takes. Look at what happened after Katrina. We are so overdependent on a complex machine working perfectly. What would happen if our power grid went down, how long would it take for food distribution to cease, etc. What would happen if China stopped buying our debt?

I think we all need to live in a more mindful manner. Being conservative in the true sense of the word. We need to take very small and careful steps when we act on large scale issues as this society can fail just as all others have in the past.

Jocko

Jerry
# Posted: 2 Dec 2009 10:55

Jocko,

I identify with your statements. I've always felt responsible for my own existence and that feeling is intensifying as this world continues to become more dependent on "the systems". I spent 34 years working as a local government emergency planning official, so I have first hand knowledge of just how close to the edge we live on a daily basis. I'm building my cabin with those thoughts in mind. I've got commercial power but I can survive without it. I can get by with two wood burning stoves - one for heat, one cook stove, a few gas lights, a hand pump well, plenty of food stored and the means to hunt and fish for whatever else I need. Keep the wood shed full, and have enough gasoline stored to run chainsaws, etc. and I'm independent for quite some time. Lots of people up here in northern Minnesota make similar preparations, but I can only imagine that the masses living in the big cities, living in their big houses and being comfortable with their big bank accounts, would be the first ones to die if the systems disappeared. I will not be one of them.

Jerry

flatwater
# Posted: 2 Dec 2009 20:14

Just before they die they would try and take what you have. Thats why my homestead is on a mountain, always take the high ground , easier to defend.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 19 Jan 2010 02:00

have you guys looked at this forum?

http://whenshtf.com/

lots of this kind of talk there...

I think of the gov...(US bugs) as an entity that is trying to do good...but lacks the tools and the skills...so it it up to the individual to do what is right for themselves...

we just have to work around some of their BS regs....have any of you seen Garbage Warrior...it a documentary on Micheal reynolds the guy who originally designed earthships...

its worth a view...i recently saw it on the sundance chanel

http://www.garbagewarrior.com/

mj
# Posted: 22 Jan 2010 16:16

Quoting: lawnjocky
The fact of the matter is their has never been a government program that hasn't either cut the quality or availability of services or increased the costs over what the private sector did or does.

Better check your facts. Here in Alberta, electricity rates skyrocketed after being privatized and there were no improvements to speak of.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 19:20

mj Your situation in Alberta was one where the gov was selling the power cheaper than it costs to produce it. You were still paying more for it but it was hidden in your taxes. Currently the same thing is happening in China and in Hugo's little paradise in regards to gasoline. Check those facts.

Jocko

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 00:18

I don't want to get political but I believe the best Gov is the smallest. Obviously the country seems to be going the other way right now.

I think Nov 2nd, you will see a 180 turnaround. Now we can just hope the lame duck congress doesnt try something silly. Thank goodness Teddy Kennedy has assumed dirt temp, so now they dont have a fillibuster proof majority. Otherwise, they could of run ruffshod all over us.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 08:47

I don't want to get political but I believe the best Gov is the smallest

Here here, amen brother.
Not enough room on this site for my opinion, so I'll refer to Thomas Jefferson.

There's a lot of his quotes floating around the web these days.
What a visionary.

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 13:04

For the USA. Don't forget to Take out the Trash... Nov 2nd.

larry
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 20:08

bring on nov 2nd. i will do my best to "clean house"...and senate

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 20:43

Everyone should have their voter's pamphlets by now.
Pleae read 'em, talk it around, peruse the web. Make educated decisions, and please vote while it's our right.
Remember, the measures and issues are a basis of enabling electees to push legislation thru.
Leave the Field and Stream by the lazy boy, and take the pamphlet into the oval office with you......

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 20:45

OK, the lack of signing in was not my fault this time. Looked like I was signed in (but evidently wasn't.........)

Gary O'

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 22:01

Dang, apparently I'm just a self centered (ugly American?) US citizen.
Forgive my lack of political PC, brother cabiners from where ever you hale. I'm sure your issues and concerns are not unlike ours in the USA...unsettling.
Vote, if you can. Bear arms, if you...well, I just can't type it in.....

Gary O'

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 21:36

Quoting: bugs
I like the fact that I don't have to "pay" to see a doctor or get an Xray.

Than where does the money come from? You mean no one pays into it, the doctors just volunteer?

If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait till its free.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 21:39

Quoting: mj
Better check your facts. Here in Alberta, electricity rates skyrocketed after being privatized and there were no improvements to speak of.

What did they skyrocket too, market value instead of the subsidized lower rates???

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 21:43

Quoting: bugs
My country was not built on LIFE LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. My country is THE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE!!!

So please if you are going to talk politics at least tell us which country you are complaining about so people can either commiserate with you, the writer, or ignore the posts as n/a

I'd say the bold section in your quote, you knew exactly what country he was talking about.

Bugs, nice cabin you built and nice photos I might add. You have a natural knack for picture taking, I'd say professional.

Borrego
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 22:55

Went to Canada this summer (my ole buddy owns some family land up there). What an eye-opener! Yeah, they may have free health care, but they all have stories of people dying from lack of expedient care, etc, etc, and their taxes are unbelievable. They even tax traffic tickets! A grocery store visit is insane, State controlled liquor, even a separate Beer Store!. I'd rather pay my $1000 per month for my family and choose my own doctors, than pay $20 for a steak. $13 for a six-pack, etc..., they must pay thousands more per month, and not do the math? Plus, lots of able bodied people were on disability, what a disaster of a country. I can't believe they'll last long before the system fails... Just my opinion, nothing personal you northerners :-)

hattie
# Posted: 15 Oct 2010 01:24

I'm a Canadian and I love Canada - HOWEVER, we do have some very serious problems of late. As Borrego said, we are taxed to death here and where I live there is nothing to show for it. We have no garbage pick-up, no proper police or fire protection and no doctors.

Then only 2 weeks ago, our very dear friend died because the idiot ambulance attendants couldn't find his house!!! I guess maps are too expensive to supply to the ambulance drivers. After watching the ambulance drive through town for 30 minutes, I turned on our scanner. When I realized where they were headed, I called the police to give directions, but the police station was closed for lunch! Amazing! I then called dispatch and they radioed the ambulance who said they "knew where they were going". Only because another local who had listened on the scanner turned them around. The ambulance wanted an air evac, but "it wasn't available". Our dear friend died that night. The health care system wasn't much help to him. He was a vet, a pioneer and an all around great guy and this town will miss him deeply. What do I think about my Canadian government right now - NOT MUCH!!

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 17 Oct 2010 20:34

I'm happy to see a lot of heart felt discussion here. I agree with almost all of what most people are saying here. I think bottom line is this...Everyone should be responsible for themselves and take care of themselves. Believe me there are plenty of good hearted people to help out those who can TRULY not help themselves. The government should not look out for me. I work hard for what I have and I keep my Glock and my shotgun to keep others from taking from me what is mine...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 22:13

Quoting: Borrego
Went to Canada this summer (my ole buddy owns some family land up there). What an eye-opener!

I see the Canadian singer Celine Dion came down to Florida to have her twins. Probably to save that top notch heathcare for regular folks. Awful considerate of her.

fasenuff
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 18:23

Well, I guess where ever you hail from you can have some thoughts either way about the govenment. Good or bad. One thing is for sure, we do have fredom both in the north and here in the US. And freedom does have a price which unfortunately can come high. And we all pay for it in one way or another but taxes on this and taxes on that seems to be the common way of collecting or dues.

Oh, don' get me wrong, I have some very opionated thoughts about the government here but I am also smart enough to realize how things like hiways and schools are paid for. It is the waste that peeves me. I am a vet and use the VA system here and am very thankful for it. Without it I would have med bills more than I could pay. I know that my taxes contribute to the VA costs and so do everyone elses and to them I say thanks. The waste I see there really bugs me tho. But with everything you will get that and it is hard to control.

I am glad we have the governments we have and even happier we have the freedom to bitch about them. But I am most happy about the fact we can vote out the lazy, wasteful officials when we get the chance......

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 00:07

Quoting: fasenuff
I am a vet and use the VA system

fasenuff, thank you for your service to our great country. ;D

fasenuff
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 07:30

It was my privalege and honor.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.